Your favorite pivot lube?

Any thoughts on Pro-shot Zero Friction? Just looking at things I can get at a reasonable price here.

Lots of lubricants are either ludicrously expensive or of questionable toxicity. (Some are also scented, which seems both unnecessary and strange to me.)

I use Lubriplate FMO 350-AW. It's "just right" for knife actions. It costs a tiny fraction of what you'd pay for KPL. It was originally designed for kitchen and food prep machinery. It is both stable and non-toxic. You can buy a 4oz container of it from Lubrikit for under ten bucks. If having a bottle with a needle tip matters, you can buy empty ones on the cheap.

You know, I've been really liking the Ballistol. At first the smell put me off but the stuff is legitimately good and does everything in claims to do exceptionally well. Thankfully the manly potpourri smell mostly goes away after a few days but the lubrication and protection seems to last well.

Last edited:
If I disassemble, then I'll use a marine grease on the pivot and bearings (but I hate bearings in pivots). Nothing on washers. If a knife needs a bit, I have a little needle tube with Mobil-1 (0W20 leftover from oil change) and put a few drops.

I use whatever I have handy. This week I had a new Buck 110 that was super gritty (looked like buffing/polishing compound). A few applications of Slip2000 EWL followed by blowing the crud out with some compressed air and it's pretty smooth now.

KPL. Bought a bottle of it a couple years ago, barely used any. Are they $30 now? I think I paid $12 for mine. I probably wouldn't do that now, probably just use mineral oil, but I have the KPL, and it smells nice, so it gets used. Washers, bearings, doesn't matter. It works, and that's all I care about. I could probably use some of the gun oil I have in the closet, or fishing reel oil, or sewing machine oil too, and it would all work just as well. I used to use 3 in 1...it's kind of gummy though, and I'm not big on the citronella smell.

In the end, knives aren't high load, high speed, high heat surfaces. You're going to see very little difference in lubricants as long as they have similar viscosity.

KPL. Bought a bottle of it a couple years ago, barely used any. Are they $30 now? I think I paid $12 for mine. ...

No. A 10mL bottle of KPL costs between $13 and $15 depending on how you buy it. That's around $40 per ounce!

Hoppe‘s Synthetic lubricating oil is about all I use on these pivot these days. cheap, great applicator, works.

It's only money. Can't take it with you.

Yeah, but people have other uses for their money while they're here. The snake oil comparison is legit. There are equitable or better alternatives that cost less than a tenth as much as KPL.

Using my preferred oil as an example, Lubriplate FMO 350-AW is good, non-toxic, and costs less than $3 per ounce versus KPL at around $40.

Yeah, but people have other uses for their money while they're here. The snake oil comparison is legit. There are equitable or better alternatives that cost less than a tenth as much as KPL.

Using my preferred oil as an example, Lubriplate FMO 350-AW is good, non-toxic, and costs less than $3 per ounce versus KPL at around $40.

It doesn't really matter in all honesty. The little bottle of KPL is going to last years, and $12 is not going to break the bank, and if it is then whoever is agonizing over it is in the wrong hobby.

Mineral oil is even cheaper, lubes as well as anything else, and is food safe. I mean, there are tons of choices, who cares if someone spends a bit more on cinnamon scented oil for their knife?

I have used Tri-Flow, but this is not expert advice, just what I've done.

Gunny Glide Graphene Lubricant​

Is it expensive, yes,,,,, does it improve open/close action,,,, absolutely.
Over the past 35 years, I have used all of the above mentioned lubs and some not include in the breakdown.
Both in firearms and knives of all lock designs.
Gunny Glide is applied with a small drop from the needle applicator included with the bottle design. It will last for many years.
If you are lubing a simple slip joint,,,, anything will be fine,, if it is a modern folder with PB washers and lock up,,,, the graphene will coat the wear surfaces and result in improved smoothness and less friction.

Regards,
FK

Wahl clipper oil was mentioned earlier, and I second that opinion. I've been using it for a year or so. Great stuff.

Wahl clipper oil was mentioned earlier, and I second that opinion. I've been using it for a year or so. Great stuff.

I have a bottle but bought it on Amazon as "Wahl Professional Animal Blade Oil for Pet Clipper and Trimmer Blades". I'm sure I'm not the only person who suspects that it is the exact same stuff, but it comes in a lifetime supply 5 oz. bottle, and is significantly cheaper than the people-focused stuff.

I typically gravitate toward the firearm related oils, if I use any at all, mainly CLP or Hoppes #9 in a needle tip applicator.

Sometimes this, but I dislike the toxicity of it, so it's used sparingly. Works great tho.
0FC78726-E791-456C-AC50-4FBDE1C0873E.jpeg

As mentioned earlier, mineral oil is pretty good, especially for a knife that gets used a lot, and washed frequently. Being food safe is a big plus.

Back