Your Fighter EDC

I don't carry knives for self defense either, that's what I have my G19 and G26 for. If I had to though, it'd be some thing along the lines of a Spyderco Tasman Salt fully serrated.

Just kidding with you brother. But, in all seriousness if I was looking for a good fighting knife then it would be a chef's knife or similar style. Kitchen knives have proven to be very efficient at killing and are used more than any other .
But I guess that's not because they're so well suited for that job but rather because they're available to many people.

I'm not planning to use a knife as a weapon but I guess i (who has never used a knife as a weapon) would feel most comfortable with the intention to rather slash than stab und because of that with a blade length of about 4-5".
About stabbing: hitting a vital organ in the torso causing immediate (within seconds) disablement should be very hard/unlikely for an amateur, so why trying that and risking losing the knife/cutting yourself?
Slashing seems like it could feel way more natural and it should be pretty safe for your own hand.
Plus: if you hope the assailant will stop his attack and both of you get out of there alive (maybe because he looks too wounded/you seem too dangerous which could be caused by large open wounds - in contrast to probably small stabbing wounds) it may be the way to go - i think it would be useless if the attacker dies 30 minutes after a fight because of a punctured stomach. Regardless of the result of the fight.

Stabbing to vitals can be hard in a high stress situation. If you don't have a gun, or for some reason live in a place where you can't have one and someone is looking to club you with a large pipe, bat, etc, or you are just in a situation where you life is in jeopardy, a slice across the inner or outer forearm, thigh, or neck will usually work in your favor. They will also be more effective than a simple punch, kick, or death squeeze.

I'm no legal expert but I hear that knives and self defense are frowned upon by the law. Also as has been mentioned they're a REALLY bad option. Get a Spyderco Delica 4 it will open all the mail you care to, it whittles, shaves, slices and dices. Just a useful little knife. If you're worried about self defense, MACE, Taser, or Handgun are your best bets. Hope we never have to use any of these things.

God bless,
Adam

I'm no legal expert but I hear that knives and self defense are frowned upon by the law. Also as has been mentioned they're a REALLY bad option. Get a Spyderco Delica 4 it will open all the mail you care to, it whittles, shaves, slices and dices. Just a useful little knife. If you're worried about self defense, MACE, Taser, or Handgun are your best bets. Hope we never have to use any of these things.

God bless,
Adam

I tend to agree with this line of thinking even though shit does happen.

God bless,
Adam

Agreed to a point. The prosecutor will generally do all he can to bury you whether you used a gun, a knife or a 9 iron. Justification of the use of force is key although in the eyes of many, knives are the tools of gangbangers and the cast of Michael Jackson music videos.

Tattoo you’re a good sport in this thread. I knew from your original post it would turn in to a gun/taser/atl atl is better thread. :D

Unless your arms move like a sewing machine, plunges/stabs work slow. My goal isn’t to kill the guy (but play stupid games you win stupid prizes) just get him the F off of me. If the most effective way to do that is start disconnecting muscles and tendons from what they make bend or move, so be it.

My Spydie recommendation is kind of my general corner stone for a defensive folder.

I'm always a good sport. I'm also only 5"7 and after years in LE and seeing lots of situations I do feel it's better to be judged than carried. I've done lots of hand-hand training over the years, but against someone who is 6'2, cracked out and intent on robbing or hurting me or my family, I'm not going for an armbar, wristlock, groin kick; I'm going to make their hands or legs no longer usable so they can no longer commit their crime against me. Of course, run away is the best option, but not always an option.

In the Philippines ammos are expensive therefore knife fights are common - weapon of choice is balisong, bolo or icepick.

If I were looking at it in a self defense point of mind I would go with a pistol like others have said. But, I no longer carry a gun for a list of other reasons. So the only thing I DO carry now that could be used as a self defense weapon is a knife and a flashlight. For that I have a little Nightcore AA light and a Spyderco Military on the way. I've been carrying an Izzy but want other carry options besides belt carry. Plus, it's more legally questionable then a folding knife.

This, but Glock 19. I don't know about pussies as much as "people who want to get cut a lot."

Back in the day, I Googled "knife wounds". It made me put my $30 Kershaw Leek back in my pocket where it belonged and use my fighting knife money on more G19 mags and Speer Gold Dot. :D I don't want to be within arms reach of anyone with a knife, definitely not someone who knows how to use it.

I'd look at a Spyderco for this role.

I would rather not fight someone with a knife as well, I would prefer not to have to fight at all but sometimes the situation will not give you the choice. I carry a Emerson super Commander and a Emerson super Kerambit and a small Sebenza for the everyday cutting tasks. I never use my defensive blades for anything but self-defence.

I love fighters. They're all but useless, but I love them anyway. Here are a couple of my personal favorites:

NightStrider01.jpg

EntrekForceRecon02.jpg

I've personally seen 2 occasions where a knife was used effectively in anger. In one instance, a teenager stabbed his grandmother to death because she told him to get his afro cut.

The other time, a queer was caught cheating on his partner and his partner stabbed him dozens of times. Blood filled the apartment entrance-way.

In both instances, small (about 4" or so) kitchen knives were used. And they were stabbed, not slashed. Slashing is movie crap and the vast majority of times nowhere near lethal. (See: almost every prison shanking video ever made.)

But to answer the OP's question, I carry a Swiss Army knife so I can improvise more deadly weapons on demand (see: MacGyver).

I must say I find the responses interesting. As stated, this is the "gun is not an option" siutation. I'm sure if I asked this same question in the Practical/Tactical arena I'd get a whole different set of answers. It's funny how certain questions bring certain answers in certain forums. The folks over at Buck mostly carry folders or 110s, Emerson guys are into their Karambits, the traditional folder guys will whip out a stockman or whittler in a crisis, and the ESEE folks are into Glocks. :)

i must say alot of people say knivs are bad SD weapon but what if you cant carry a gun? atleast around town? and if you cant have a gun then you cant have a shooting taser. have you guys ever been shocked by the hand held taser? as a teen we used to shock each other for fun. its lame. pepper spray is pretty good stuff but what if your in a struggle with someone? spray yourself to? that would suck IMO awhile ago someone had posted about leaving walgreens at night and someone tried robbing him and lumped him with a tire iron. he got the would be robber with his Manix 2 IIRC.

i think knives are good SD weapons. not everyone can carry guns

normally i carry a large folder around 4" blade or so todays its the CS Spartan but i rotate thru my knives and if im out and about town i always have a homemade HAK in my boot laces or someplace crafty

Anything can be an effective weapon in the hands of a skilled user. In my case - I carry a SAK for other purpose but if it boils to self-defense - I will use my wits and my bare hands or my feet to evade (run).

This, but Glock 19. I don't know about pussies as much as "people who want to get cut a lot."

Back in the day, I Googled "knife wounds". It made me put my $30 Kershaw Leek back in my pocket where it belonged and use my fighting knife money on more G19 mags and Speer Gold Dot. :D I don't want to be within arms reach of anyone with a knife, definitely not someone who knows how to use it.

I'd look at a Spyderco for this role.

I Googled "Gunshot Wounds," I'm not relying on firearms anymore. [/sarcasm] :)

Unless your arms move like a sewing machine, plunges/stabs work slow. My goal isn’t to kill the guy (but play stupid games you win stupid prizes) just get him the F off of me. If the most effective way to do that is start disconnecting muscles and tendons from what they make bend or move, so be it.

Call me "Singer." :D

Seriously, there is no guarantee in a fray that you are going to surgically do anything. You cut when there is an opening and you thrust when there is an opening. Anyone that tells you otherwise is selling you something absurd.

In any event, a thrust is just a cut on the inside where you can't see the damage done unless it gets opened up more. They both have their place.

Back