Your Fighter EDC

They are not the panacea to all self-defense problems. Neither are firearms. Ultimately, you should see the vast majority of self-defense situations and try to avoid them - awareness and avoidance - best weapons you can have to save your life.

I believe this comment to be the most accurate for this thread! so true and to the point! if your are aware then there will be no surprises. without the advantageof surprise on the attackers side you have the advantage!
there is also to much focus on what to use to defend yourself. its not that difficult nor should it be. A standard pen would work just fine or a good old fashion strike to the throat! having your focus to much on the weapon is a disadvantage, you have your whole body and should use all of it to fight for your life.

I always consistently answer that I think that the idea of a knife fight is a terrible one, and that you never know if the person you're squaring off against has more experience or skill with a blade, or if he can just overpower you and take it away from you. I'd rather shoot the son of a bitch at 21 feet than have to get up close and personal with a four-inch blade. I have some well developed shooting skills, but not knife fighting ones. Only some basic Krav Maga.

I am all about carrying a gun and it is my first line of defense. yes it would be great to shoot a attacker from 21 feet away, only if they attack you from that far away! which is unheard of. even then with that much of a lead you should run away. most attacks are up close and personal and from the side or behind. so the idea to just draw you gun is a great one, but you better train drawing from these weird positions and angles your likely to find your self in. also remember its much easier to take a gun from someone up close then a knife. have options and be aware and you will be just fine!

If I ever get to the point of having to use a pocket knife for self-defense against another human being, I've already lost the fight.

Hopefully, I'm old and wise enough to keep myself out of that situation by now.

Running shoes. The ultmimate tactcial defense tool!

Running shoes. The ultmimate tactcial defense tool!

Can't argue with that!

If-Zombies-Chase-Us.jpg

Well this line has certainly openned a can of worms. I put my opinion in for fun.
I agree with all the legal statements I have seen so far, but it's still better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. I have been attacked by amatures with knives on a few occations and I'm glad they had no clue what they were doing or maybe I'm just better trained. When this happened I never had time to get one of my knives out, I was able to take his away from him. Yes, I got cut everytime but I was able to control the situation and damage was minimal. It really doesn't matter what you are carrying, I was jumped in uniform with Sig 220, ASP baton, pepper foam, etc. and still ended up using my hands. My point here is that I was very lucky and observant to what was going on. A nut with a knife that has nothing to loose can be very fast. A trained pro would have killed me in the same situations. I am very glad that my level of training is above that of those I faced. I also don't wear a uniform anymore so I am less a target(I hope). It's true that you "shouldn't take a knife to a gun fight" but some times you don't know your in a knife fight until it's over.

But to answer the thread, I always carry at least two: my Buck/Strider/Tarani (the ATS 34 w/G10) and rotate between several others Spiderco Military, MOD Mark I, Ontario RAT model1, A.G. Russel tactical, DDR Gun Hammer and several others. I'm sure many of you have dozens or hundreds of knives and know the feeling of "haven't had this one out in a while" and just feel the need to carry an old friend around for a while.

I have always carred a large folder. As a biker and a southerner, carrying a Buck 110 on my belt was part of being dressed. Not having been trained much in knife fighting techniques, I still felt better having the knife than not having it. The hand to hand training I got in the Army was minimal. Just enough to get me into trouble if I ever faced a real martial artist. So now I carry a little .380 auto in my pocket. But I still carry the knife!:eek:

Regarding that "magical 21 feet" -
I took an Advanced Concealed Carry class last summer, and one of the drills we practiced demonstrated just how quickly an average man can close that 21' distance should he decide to attack you with a blade (or blunt instrument, for that matter).
It was basically just a standard man-sized silhouette target mounted on a wheeled sled 21 feet away and then suddenly without warning yanked towards you at a decent clip.
I'll confess - I was nervous as hell the first time and that damn sled was upon me before I could even clear my holster. It was a real eye-opener. I took a deep breath, calmed down, and got off three shots the second time - two center-mass and one that would've just winged the attacker. What a great learning tool.

Considering that the average man can probably run 40 yards in 6 seconds, it is reasonable to assume that they could cover 7 yards, or 21 feet, in almost next to no time.

It's something you want to realize before you're caught in the thick of it. The first person to drill this concept into my head, surprisingly, was not an instructor at a firearms course but my first Scoutmaster, who was an LEO with a long and distinguished career. Very cool guy, I learned a lot from him.

Ah, a knife is still no more a weapon to me than a hammer or a baseball bat.

Yea, in a last ditch situation I'd use it but I don't factor fighting into my EDC choices.

Considering that the average man can probably run 40 yards in 6 seconds, it is reasonable to assume that they could cover 7 yards, or 21 feet, in almost next to no time.

It's something you want to realize before you're caught in the thick of it. The first person to drill this concept into my head, surprisingly, was not an instructor at a firearms course but my first Scoutmaster, who was an LEO with a long and distinguished career. Very cool guy, I learned a lot from him.

It's actually called "The 21-feet Rule"

Ah, a knife is still no more a weapon to me than a hammer or a baseball bat.

Exactly. Nor do I factor in whether or not a man is skilled in the martial arts, weapons training, etc. I've already seen the highly trained get their lights dimmed. In the end, I live thinking on how to escape and evade trouble rather than confront it. I'm a pussy and don't mind telling anyone that. True, sometime you just have to take the punches and fight when there is no way out, but just about every situation I have seen in bars, alleys, and Third World had some type of escape route.

Well, I shouldn't be telling younguys this, but when Tommy lee jones was training me on knife fighting techniques, we learned how to make knives out of raw steel and rock! That's the way I've done it ever since, in fact most of the people I've killed never even knew I was in the room with them.....

Well, I shouldn't be telling younguys this, but when Tommy lee jones was training me on knife fighting techniques, we learned how to make knives out of raw steel and rock! That's the way I've done it ever since, in fact most of the people I've killed never even knew I was in the room with them.....

Nice. :D

Watch out for Steven Seagal though. He dominated Tommy in Under Seige. ;)

Rat 1 folder and a HEST is what I edc.... "fighting knife"? Now that's a different story.... either:
Cold Steel OSS (subhilt fighter)
or
Camillus Cuda 1 (pe, terzuola)

A junglas would get the job done too.

Almost anything will get the job done and that is the point that should be remembered. Everything else is window-dressing.

I really do not like the whole tactical knife thing (or tactical anything). Personally I would never buy a "self defense knife" because that line of thinking has come a long way in changing the publics attitude towards knives.
Not long ago it was not strange at all to carry a knife, a knife was a tool and a lot of people carried them. On the one extreme we have people wanting to outlaw anything "dangerous" and on the other we have boys with toys that apparently have no grasp of what it would mean to actually hurt or kill another human being. Personally I'd run or rather loose a limb than kill someone else.
A knife is a tool is a tool is a tool.

Boy oh boy, I started this thread with the intentions of seeing what other brands of folders you maniacs like and ended up back in the dojo, the back alley, and in a brothel being chased by midgets; actually I think that last one was a dream...

Lots of great info here. You guys rock. I think most, but not all, weapons nuts have studied some form of martial art in their day and anyone who has worked the street, been down range, or grew up in a crappy part of town knows that RUN AWAY is always a great option, but it is not always possilbe.

I always have a few blades on me all the while knowing that odds are is they'll never get used in a defensive sitiuation. However, I still train with and without them, and it makes me feel good just knowing they are there. Plus, what's the point of spending all this hard earned money on quality blades if we can't ever show them off a bit to our friends! :)

This site, and many others I belong to are great. Back in the day who would have ever thought about joking around and talking directly with owners and creators of things, be them knives, cars, whatever. The Internet has changed all that. I think it's great when folks like Jeff, Mike and other custom makers I know, take the time to get in the trenches with their fans. Great stuff!

Now, back to the start of this thread...what folders and blades to carry that you like!?

Back