Your Fighter EDC

I studied martial arts for a very long time in another life and I am pretty proficient with a blade as far as fighting is concerned....

And with that said, I've been stabbed. It totally, totally sucked and I never want it to happen again so I'm with Jeff, Glock for my fighting if the fists fail me.

I think a push dagger would be effective for most of the populace. anyone can punch. personally I don't see any situation where i would use a knife as a weapon. I always have a hammer of some sort in arms reach.

I studied martial arts for a very long time in another life and I am pretty proficient with a blade as far as fighting is concerned....

And with that said, I've been stabbed. It totally, totally sucked and I never want it to happen again so I'm with Jeff, Glock for my fighting if the fists fail me.

+1 on that shotgunner, being stabbed sucks, and it only takes one time to realize to always carry a gun! I have a knife to use as a tool to open things...

Mine would have to be this even though its not a fighting knife. Its always around my neck or in my pocket. Its small (about same size as an Izula) so I could most like have it in hand without my attacker seeing it before it was put to use. But I dont know crap about knife fighting. Just know if it got to the point that I had to use a knife that it has gotten bad and anything goes.

HPIM1901-1.jpg

Last edited:
Paging Michael Janich!:eek:
:D

:D CLASSIC! i love it :thumbup:

i guess i'm in the minority. first of all, i don't run, i have plenty of reasons, but no "nike-do" for me. second, while i do tote a burner, i don't have many reservations about getting up close and personal. in fact, i'd prefer it due to being more concerned with projectiles and bystanders. i DO view a knife as a viable means of stoppin an attack. however, as for what type, eh... whatever. gimme a screwdriver, boxcutter, broken shard of meal tray, and i'll get by. i DO recognize certain characteristics of a knife that i feel make it more appropriate (or effective) for use on human threats. these would be (1) strong or NO lock (2) blade long enough to puncture important parts (3) something to prevent my hand from sliding down the blade when i strike a target harder than anticipated (4) blade sturdy enough not to break if the threat goes extremely mobile while my knife is in it (5) a point that's centered in the width of the knife (6) NOTHING to hinder withdrawl such as sawteeth on spine.

judging by photos only, i think the Whisper by John Greco would be a good "specific purpose" knife. i also felt my Benchmade Nimravus was a pretty good option for that task. however, i carry something more geared to utility (an ESEE 5) because i feel utiliatarian need presents itself more often than fighting and also believe it's better to have to fight with my utility knife than try to perform utility tasks with a dedicated fighter which goes back to the whole 'gimme whatever'

edit to add - if i KNEW i was walking out my door into a situation where i would HAVE to use a knife against a human, i'd take my Waki, my Junglas, or my Australian Bowie. i wouldn't edc these, though.

I dunno... I've always, always got a knife on me. But whenever I've ever gotten into something, it never comes into play. It's usually over long before a knife or gun can come out. I don't know what kinda fights you guys get into, but mine generally end fast. Not macho BS, just dominance is determined quickly. hollywood extended fights are bullshit. If it's not over in under 5 seconds, it's a bunch of chicks fighting.

nah i dont got any ^ i have been looking at Strider lately but i dunno they seem like to much $$$ but then again iv only seen pics never held one

People will hold onto Frankenstein myths and B.S. forever. It's their life. :::shrug:::

I hear they no longer wrap Federal prisoners food in cellophane, at least in the high security prisons. They collected the Saran-Wrap like material, melted it down and made shanks out of it.

The myths, however, are troubling. Anyone that thinks an arc is faster than a non-telegraphic straight thrust is just defying reality.

you can stab anyway you wish with a shank, my last bid in the county i seen some people take nylon strings out of the matress... twist a few together and friction cut thru plastic boxes/totes that you keep your stuff in.. you can make any pointy shape you want. some small and some as large as 12" give er take.

you dont have to go at an arc you can thrust.

you dont have to go at an arc you can thrust.

Uh...I thought that is what I said.

The active thing is, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. People that think they "suck" at thrusting or whatever, well, OK, they can suck at that. A slashing/cutting arc, even shortened, is still going to be slower than a direct thrust and if it is non-telegraphic, it is very hard to defend against or stop, period. Fact. Fencing has proven it time and time again and that is not to say that Fencing is the blade art to practice but you can take that principal and apply it. It's just not really up for debate, that is my point.

The only "blade fight" I know of is when this one guy who was a mega knife collector, hunter, sword collector, etc. walked in on his wife cheating on him, and because he had swords above his bed, the guy his wife was cheating on him with grabbed a sword, but he kicked it out of his hand, and picked it up and slashed him right across the chest, then tossed him out the window and started beating him up, but he had blacked out somewhere when he walked in and woke up in the back of a cop car saying "where am I". I guess this is also an example of a crime of passion.

A lot of my friends always asking me if I plan on stabbing someone when we go out and I am doing something and my shirt lifts up to reveal my HEST, 3, 4, or whatever I've got on the belt or in the pocket or waistband that day.

I always consistently answer that I think that the idea of a knife fight is a terrible one, and that you never know if the person you're squaring off against has more experience or skill with a blade, or if he can just overpower you and take it away from you. I'd rather shoot the son of a bitch at 21 feet than have to get up close and personal with a four-inch blade. I have some well developed shooting skills, but not knife fighting ones. Only some basic Krav Maga.

Recently I have taken to carrying, believe it or not, a Ruger Blackhawk with a 4-5/8" barrel loaded with .44 Buffalo Bores in a shoulder holster and a Ruger LCP in the jacket pocket. I had been visiting family in rural Pennsylvania where there was a bear problem, carrying the Blackhawk, and just liked the setup. With a heavy winter jacket, it doesn't print, and the weight doesn't bother me. The benefit of being young, I guess.

The only "blade fight" I know of is when this one guy who was a mega knife collector, hunter, sword collector, etc. walked in on his wife cheating on him, and because he had swords above his bed, the guy his wife was cheating on him with grabbed a sword, but he kicked it out of his hand, and picked it up and slashed him right across the chest, then tossed him out the window and started beating him up, but he had blacked out somewhere when he walked in and woke up in the back of a cop car saying "where am I". I guess this is also an example of a crime of passion.

This has nothing to do with what anyone is talking about in here.

A lot of my friends always asking me if I plan on stabbing someone when we go out and I am doing something and my shirt lifts up to reveal my HEST, 3, 4, or whatever I've got on the belt or in the pocket or waistband that day.

Well, if they're not really 100% joking, get new friends.

I always consistently answer that I think that the idea of a knife fight is a terrible one, and that you never know if the person you're squaring off against has more experience or skill with a blade, or if he can just overpower you and take it away from you. I'd rather shoot the son of a bitch at 21 feet than have to get up close and personal with a four-inch blade. I have some well developed shooting skills, but not knife fighting ones. Only some basic Krav Maga.

The idea of any kind of fight is a terrible one, isn't it? Also, if I knew I was going to get into some kind of armed encounter, I'd be wanting a shotgun or a rifle.

If someone tries to "overpower" someone with a knife, if the person with the knife knows what they are doing with it, they're not going to be overpowered anymore than a person with a handgun is going to be overpowered. There is always bad luck with any situation like this.

The problem is not always what YOU want the fight to be, having the magical 21 feet to deal with people. The fight is going to be what the fight is going to be.

Well, if they're not really 100% joking, get new friends.

The idea of any kind of fight is a terrible one, isn't it? Also, if I knew I was going to get into some kind of armed encounter, I'd be wanting a shotgun or a rifle.

If someone tries to "overpower" someone with a knife, if the person with the knife knows what they are doing with it, they're not going to be overpowered anymore than a person with a handgun is going to be overpowered. There is always bad luck with any situation like this.

The problem is not always what YOU want the fight to be, having the magical 21 feet to deal with people. The fight is going to be what the fight is going to be.

It seems like sarcasm is contagious with my friends. You reap what you sew, I guess, and I sew sarcasm. They're joking, as far as I know, but comments like that get annoying every time, especially when the friend has a 4 para-corded to his belt half the time anyways.

The idea of any fight is terrible, but the last fight I'd want to be in is a knife fight. That's all I was saying. I'm a bigger-than-average guy that stays in shape and has basic fighting skills, and I've actually had some defensive firearms training. I'll take guns and fists over knives, in which my skill set is limited in a self defense capacity, any day. If I was going to be in a fight, it's a sure thing that I would want a long gun, but how often do you find yourself able to carry a long gun across a college campus or on the streets of a major city like Columbus, OH? When I walk the woods, though, definitely.

I'm not worried about a single man overpowering me, unless my luck is terrible that day. If I have, say, my HEST or my Civilian, I'm fairly confident that I can retain possession of the knife. My concern is if, by chance, the guy gets in a good blow or it is a gang-style assault. I attend a private university in the middle of a gang-infested area. I'm nervous about two or more assailants. The key to that is avoiding situations where you'd be attacked by a gang, and have a contigency if you were. Even then, it could be argued that I could retain the knife. Not a chance I'd want to take, though.

Also, I was not saying that every armed encounter I get in, I expect that it will be at least from a distance of 21 feet and a firearm will be in handy. Obviously, that would be nice, but the ideal would be no encounter at all.

Thanks for your though-provoking response, and making me review my comments.

Take care and God bless.

KATN,

Wade

I think anyone that reviews this thread, and I cannot really blame them if they don't want to. Multi-page threads have a tendency to make your eyes bleed and your mind cloud over...but anyone that does can clearly see that I am not advocating one over the other. I think everyone interested in survival should know how to use a knife as weapon if they have to. It's a total package to me, all or nothing. They're not just for whittling trap triggers and scraping ferrocerium rods to me. I know they have this capability and I intend on exploiting every bit of that capability that I can.

What interests me is the absolute terror that a knife brings to people's minds. I've read it and heard it for years and it has been in this thread: "I'd rather be shot than stabbed/cut."

It's gut-level but it's silly. What the gun does is horrendous, I'd really rather not be shot, either.

There are people, for years on these forums and others, who have an almost psychotic bent on using knives as edged weapons. I'm not one of them. But I also absolutely refuse to not exploit that capability, either. To me that is just shortsighted and simply throwing away that great capability that a knife has to offer.

They are not the panacea to all self-defense problems. Neither are firearms. Ultimately, you should see the vast majority of self-defense situations and try to avoid them - awareness and avoidance - best weapons you can have to save your life.

I'm not some kind of nut that thinks knives trump everything and I'm not hell-bent on gutting my fellow man. But I vehemently disagree with those that basically shit on these ideas and then think that a pistol will solve all of their problems.

Better men than I have done a lot of real world research on self-defense and self-offense. One Gent came up with two basic self-defense situations you can encounter, it's just another way of breaking down what happens and those two basic situations, no matter what the weapon and no matter single or multiple attackers - there is brewing and flash. When something is brewing, you should be able to use awareness and avoidance. Sometimes violence is inevitable regardless but when it is brewing and you can see it developing and escape, that's great. If you cannot escape, at least you know it is coming. "Flash" is the oh shit moment. Happens in a flash, that's how it got its name. :D

There are many things I could write about but I would like to leave anyone interested with the thought of the firearm and the knife in close quarters and this is not a "knife trumps gun in close quarters" argument but it is a statement about people using edged weapons on you. If it is close quarters and the person is moving, you have to have other skills than shooting to get out of this mess. For example, just one thing to think about. Take a straight weight bar and put 175 pounds on it, up top. Now, imagine trying to catch that damned thing if you had a knife or boxcutter or even a screwdriver secured to it. This is what many people don't talk about when it comes to guns and knives and ways of dealing with things in self-defense situations. That falling weight basically duplicates someone you just shot, and they are falling dead weight with a knife sometimes still attached to their hands.

You could be fatally wounded, literally, from a dead man.

This whole topic is so much more than just stupid slogans, as I said earlier in the thread. But I think anyone that just discounts the knife as a weapon that they should learn is making a huge mistake. Being into "survival" and "knives" for survival and not learning how to use one as a weapon makes about as much sense as owning a Glock-17 and only walking around with one 17 rounder in it half loaded. You are not utilizing that tool to its greatest capability and that is all I have been saying in this thread. Don't walk around with a revolver with three rounds in it instead of six.

I believe that it is indeed vital to properly learn how to use a knife as a defensive tool. Any skill set that can add to your adaptability and survivability is an asset that is invaluable.

Given that I am 19, I have had limited time and resources to pursue the methods of training. In my experience, proper training is time- and resource-consuming. As I mentioned before, I have taken basic Krav Maga courses and have a defensive shooting skill set. Obviously, next on the list is defense with an edged tool.

While it might not make sense, I would rather shoot someone than have to do the dirty work up close. This could be because of my lack of training with a knife, in comparison to my relatively higher experience level with firearms. This could change with time. I will, however, believe that I will do whatever it takes to keep myself alive. Would I rather shoot the attacker? Yes. But if a knife is all I have, then I will do my best to incapacitate him with the tool at hand.

I have never been in an extreme life-or-death situation, but I will not let myself or any of my loved ones die at the hands of someone with ill intent. I might like using a knife less because of my lack of training, but I would not be afraid to use one if it was all that I had.

I am not completely refusing the knife as a self defense weapon. I lack the experience, and therefore, confidence, to be reassured that the encounter would have a positive outcome. There are two major positive points for something like the HEST, in my eyes (and there are probably many other positives as well): fixed blades have no parts to malfunction as pistols do, and they never run out of ammunition. Two massive positives which would be amplified by proper training, which I will get when time and money allows.

Very insightful comments, Mr. Rearic. Thanks again.

Take care and God bless.

KATN,

Wade

Putting someone down with a firearm is not a bloodless affair. I guess I just don't understand the whole point of view from some people although I do completely understand the unwillingness to get into a knife-to-knife encounter. But knives are much more than that.

Back