Your First Knife

I'd like to hear about your very first knife. How/where did you get it and do you still have/use it?

Mine was a Sabre Brand utility style knife that my Scoutmaster gave me when I earned my Totin' Chip when I was 11. I used it for many years and I still have it although I don't use it. As a lower end knife it is pretty worn, the blade are a bit loose and has seen better days. But it was my first and I keep it cause of that.

I've carried at least one knife on me ever since. In my day, it was ok to carry pocketknives in school and most guys did.

BTW - the Totin Chip training program for knives axes and saws is a very good training program for basic knife use and care.

Let's hear about your first knife.

My first knife was a Sabre three blade stockman which I only had for a few days..let's not go there
smile.gif

My first real knife was a Gerber LST (light, strong, and tough) designed by Blackie Collins. I no longer have this knife and now wish I'd kept it
frown.gif

------------------
You could put nacho cheese sauce on it...

Rick1955

Mine was a Barlow folder with brown saw bone scales. I bought it in the early 60's down at the five & dime one saturday morning, after Dad gave me my $1.00 weekly allowance.
I used it for whittling and Cub Scouts stuff.
smile.gif

My very first knife was a $3 piece of junk. Actually it wasn't a knife. It was a very poor facsimile of a knife.

My first real knife was a Imperial 3" utility fixed blade. Made in Ireland. Not a bad knife at all, I think I payed a little too much for it, but hey, it works real well for something that didn't cost very much. I had it up until 12 hours ago, I left it at school.
frown.gif
I'll go reclaim it tommorrow.

-Chang the Asian Janitorial Apparatus

My first knife was a POS given to me by my dad. Dont have it anymore, lost it one day fooling around. My first knife that I bought myself was a SOG Pentagon Elite. Not exactly a top of the line knife but it has served its purpose. I still have it a with a few modifications. Ground the blade to a clip point and satin finished it by hand.
smile.gif

My first knife was a boyscout pocket knife maybe camillus or schrade(I forgot) with black delrin type handles,two blades a 3 inch main and smaller pen blade and a can opener and a silver lanyard loop.I have no idea what happened to it,wish I did though.Ralph

[This message has been edited by TOMBSTONE (edited 05-09-2000).]

Got my first two knives the same week on a vacation. The very first one was a camp style knife, don't remember the name, back in 1969 when I was 12. It had a celluloid pearl handle with leaves and flowers painted in the celluloid.
Wish I still had it, don't remember what ever happened to it
frown.gif
Would be nice though if I still had my very first knife! Anyone know what happened to it?
smile.gif

My second one was a fixed blade with an actual deers foot as the handle. Only fixed blade I ever had. Maybe that's why I don't like fixed blade knives now. Poor deer
frown.gif
I do remember it was bought in Maine, U.S.A. somewhere!

Mark
AKTI MEMBER #A000003

P.S. I did like the fixed blade at that time though, until the foot rotted away!

[This message has been edited by Mark W Douglas (edited 05-09-2000).]

Wenger Nomad, Christmas present from my older brother when I was thirteen. One of the few SAKs with any semblance of a locking blade. I took this thing camping, fishing, etc., etc.. for years (this was when I was still growing up in Honolulu) before the scales fell off (resisting all attempts to glue or melt them back on) and the scissors broke completely. And the lock doesn't work any more.
I still have it, but now it sits in the kitchen and opens wine bottles...

My first knife was a cheap imitation SAK I bought when I was 7
smile.gif

My first real knife was a real SAK my uncle gave me when I was about 13(blue with my uncle's company name on one side) and I still carry today.

The first real knife I bought myself was a schrade 3 bladed stockman.

I havn't bought a fixed blade but I'm planning on buying a D.H Russel #1 and a CS SRK within the next few days
smile.gif

My first knife was a Barlow given to me by my grandfather when I was about 8 years old. I remember using it to cut fruit with and thinking I had ruined it when the blade discolored.

I wish I could say I still had it. It was your typical Boy Scout pocket knife from 1960. Shortly there after my uncle gave me his camping knife from when he was in the scouts in the thirties. It had a five inch fixed blade and an alum. handle. I was big time.
smile.gif
Why is it that we value something only years after we no longer have it?

------------------
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Terrill Hoffman Knife Photography http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=243110

[This message has been edited by Terrill (edited 05-09-2000).]

My first knife was a case trapper my Dad bought me. Wish I still had it, but I traded it for my second knife a Camillus Paratrooper Auto. Wish I still had that one too.... Age brings wisdom, and the revelation of the lack of wisdom before.

smile.gif
Brandon

------------------
I've got the schizophrenic blues
No I don't
Yes I do...

My first real knife was a 94" spyderco delica with a purple handle. I loved that thing. It lasted me a year before I lost it. I hope its new owner is happy

My first knife was a barlow folder, given to me by my grandfather when I was about 8 or 9. I loved that blade but lost it a few weeks later in a river. I searched for hours but it was gone.

------------------
AKTI #A000317
"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light"

My first knife was a buck 110 given to me by my uncle on my 10th birthday! i still have it and put it away for safe keeping more of a sentimental piece... i think he was the one that unleashed the monster within
smile.gif
smile.gif

Case Sodbuster Junior. Still have it; just checked. Stainless really does stain less. Wonder what kind of steel it is. 30 years and no marks (with no care - didn't remember I had it until a year or so ago).

Spyderco Police Model in G2 stainless...

Knife was found in a puddle in the street by my house. I was around 13 or 14!!! I paid $5.00 in singles, and gave a Survival Camp Knife as a little extra something something!

Over ten years later, the knife just recently received its first Spyderco Service. For a minimal fee, the knife is practically brand new!

Steve in NYC

My dad gave me his Cub Scout knife when I was about ten. I wish I knew where it was.

The first knife I bought myself was a Taiwanese knockoff of a Buck 110, though slightly smaller. It has "Diamondback" and 440 on the blade. I still have it.

I was not into knives since then until about two years ago. A friend bought a Buck General at a gun show and I said "What the hell do you want that thing for?" A month later I bought a Blackjack Shining Mountains bowie to outdo him, and it's been downhill ever since.

My first knife was a SAK. Not sure which company made it or what model it is (I think it might be a Hunter or something like that). Or when it transfered from the possession of either my stepfather or stepbrother into my hands. My first "real" knife was a S&W SWAT I bought a few months back once I turned 18 and got a checking account and check card. Far from the best, but it served its use to get me interested in more and more knives
biggrin.gif

------------------
Simon Yu

"I look at it this way. If things get much worse I'll be too dead to care."

Back