Your First Knife

my first knife was a buck prince..it was given to me by my father when i was 8 or 9. unfortunatly i lost it about a year after receiving it. he also gave me a puma drop point hunter...it had such a highly polished blade i thought it was stainless...of course it was made in the late 60's or early 70's so it was a high carbon steel. i took it river rafting on the salt river in arizona and it got extremely corroded.

My first was a small (Case I think) stockman.
My Grandfather took me to his basement workshop and showed me how to use, sharpen, and care for it, but he didn't teach me how to not lose it. Had it for a couple years.
wish I had it now.

My first knife was a Poorman POS lockback that I got for $2 at a junk store when I was 7. It came extremely dull and my father refused to sharpen it saying it would teach me take care of it. I lost it my senior year in high school and let me tell you it was sharp.

------------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

My wife isn't a member here so I thought I would respond for her.

She is active in Girl Scouts and did not have a pocketknife (unbelieveable huh?) so just before their last big campout in April I bought her an Imperial Camper 4 bladed utility style pocketknife. It is a low end knife but more that she needed. She used it many times that weekend.

Same this for my daughter. I bought her the same model Imperial knife for use in Girl Scouts.

She had just recently received trainin in care and use of jackknives (that's what their manual calls them). So I thought it was time that she have a pocketknife.

I plan on getting her an official Girl Scout utility knife for her birthday.

Originally posted by Rick1955:
My wife isn't a member here so I thought I would respond for her.

She is active in Girl Scouts and did not have a pocketknife (unbelieveable huh?) so just before their last big campout in April I bought her an Imperial Camper 4 bladed utility style pocketknife. It is a low end knife but more that she needed. She used it many times that weekend.

Mine was a SAK (not sure of the model, it doesn't match up with any current ones of course) given to me about 25 years ago by my Grandfather.

I still have it.

------------------

--Frank C.

As a followup to my first post in this topic area, the first knife I ever bought for myself was a Case Barlow jack knife. I still have it and sometimes carry it. It's a good knife.

Originally posted by Rick1955:
I'd like to hear about your very first knife. How/where did you get it and do you still have/use it?

Mine was a Sabre Brand utility style knife that my Scoutmaster gave me when I earned my Totin' Chip when I was 11. I used it for many years and I still have it although I don't use it. As a lower end knife it is pretty worn, the blade are a bit loose and has seen better days. But it was my first and I keep it cause of that.

Let's hear about your first knife.

Did you get your first knife as a result of being in Scouts?

I did. It was a Sabre brand utility knife. I'll be a lot of you got your first knife when you joined Cub or Boy Scouts. If this is the case, let us all know.

My first knife was a two bladed Imperial that was given to me on my sixth birthday by my Dad. I still have it 32 years later . I knew I was a bladeaholic from the get go

------------------
All it takes for the forces of evil to rule the world is for good men to do nothing...Edmund Burke

My first knife was a SAK I think its the Huntsman or something like that I got it when I was 8 and still carry it sometimes.

This knife knife belonged to my grandfather and was given to me after he died 25 years ago.I was ten years old and didn´t really care that much about knives then but kept it hanging on the wall. I´m glad now that I didn´t do some touch-up work on it with steelwool like I did with some other stuff when I was a kid
smile.gif
Take a look at the pic. It´s a nice puukko. OAL 4 1/8 inches. The blade is 2 inches.Very nice nice work with silver details on handle and sheath.

Last edited:
My first knife that I can remember was one of those K-Bar type knives sold at the Air Base PX. Probably about $5 at the time. That is the first one that I can actually remember having as my own. Dad bought it for me to use when we fished of the pier in Boloxi. Don't have it anymore, wished I did. Many memories. I was probably around 8 at the time when I first got the knife. Things sure were different in the late 50's early 60's.

My first knife was a Barlow with black bone handles. Think I was nine. My mom bought it for me after some serious begging (hey a buck fifty was alot then). Long since lost it.

------------------
air cut through by steel,
the blade stops.
from silent stone,
death is preordained. FUDO 1627

First knife I owned was a cheap SAK that I lost when I was in boyscout camp. Didn't buy a knife after that till I was 18 and bought a BM 30 balisong at a knife store in the mall. Wish I hadn't lost that one, its amazing what people are asking for older Benchmades anymore.

The first one that I can remember was a stained old carbon steel barlow that was my Uncle's before he passed away. Being young (7 or 8 years old?) and not knowing any better, I broke off the main blade at the base using it as a pry bar.
frown.gif

I really regret that...

Jon

I know what you mean. I have a Case XXX Barlow that I bought oh about 1974 or 75 and still carry it occasionally. I like the Barlow pattern knives. Very traditional.

Originally posted by Ghecko:
The first one that I can remember was a stained old carbon steel barlow that was my Uncle's before he passed away. Being young (7 or 8 years old?) and not knowing any better, I broke off the main blade at the base using it as a pry bar.
frown.gif

I really regret that...

Jon

Victorinox Executive SAK. It was a Christmas present from my Dad when I was 19. I still have it. I don't carry it anymore, though I did for several years. The scissor spring broke, and one side of the scales is coming off. But it still has the best nail file I have ever seen anywhere. It sits on my dresser at home and I use the nail file all the time.

yes I was in scouts and had presents of knives but I don't see that as my start. I was in ignorant bliss about knives then and never saw knives the likes of which would knock your socks off and really pay attention. My brother collecteed POS knives for years when Tantos first got big in the early '80's. I didn't like tantos and I didn't like knives because he did And I had to be different. Then we went to west covina fashion plaza and at house of cutlery we saw a knife paradice. the king of which was thier large selection of Randall made knives. Whoo HOo. Years later at that exact store I started really collecting knives when I bought my first nonfactory knife. It was based on the archer chute knife design by Bob Loveless and was made by Bob~sky knives. the knife ws made in 19 79 and had the marks scratched in with a tool marking rotary tool.
It had a marroon micarta handle which is wierd cause I hate that stuff alot. and I thought the handle was too short so I called him abou tmaking one with a white handle and longer handle. I wish I had the $50.00 down at the time! I still have that knife and the sheath (which BTW is and was then in the awfullest shape you can imagine) bye my knife bvrothers I enjoyed the trip down memory lane

The first knife i had was a SAK ripoff bought at a military show on a trip to the UK. Still have it, without scales.
The first "real" i owned was an SRK that i bought a few years ago and was consequently stolen.

James

------------------
The beast we are, lest the beast we become.

Back