Your Jacket?

Nothing. It's 82 degrees outside.

I'm busting for a cold snap just so I can wear a jacket. Pockets!

Hey Joe,
A Filson Single Mackinaw Cruiser one size bigger for layering. I have the double, but for activity, I prefer the single it's less binding and restrictive and less chance of overheating.

+1 on the Double Mac. I wore one on an overnight last year paired with a vest. It was -15 F with strong winds before we put in and I was toasty. The hardest part was getting undressed and in the sleeping bag before my fingers got cold.

Not nearly cold enough for that now, so I'm using my single Mac.

Zero degrees with snow on the ground. -11 with wind chill.

Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser.

Oh yeah

Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket. 12 oz. in the XL size and more loft than a number of jackets that weigh 50-100% more. Sheds drizzle for a long time and snow doesn't bother the fabric.

DancesWithknives

mountin hardware compressor jacket, synthetic PrimaLoft® ECO insulation
IMG_1439.jpg

rksoon, stinray boomstick

Did anyone mention the M-65 field jacket?

My M-65 (Coat, cold weather, field, camouflage pattern) with a quilted synthetic liner is amazingly warm. I scotchguard the shell for better water repellence. For the money, I don't think this jacket can be beat. The new G-tex coats are great, but many guys like the old M-65 for it's proven warmth and quiet performance in the kuds.

Carhartt throwing around the term "Arctic Extreme" rather loosely, aren't they?

I got tired of burning holes in my synthetics, so picked up this sweater/coat for outdoor activities - Army Jacket by Laundromat. Thick wool with fleece lining. With a merino base, it's good down to freezing with no problem. I throw a packable TNF down coat over it for colder weather/camp

That looks pretty nice, can you give me a source for that? Their website is not very informative.

That looks pretty nice, can you give me a source for that? Their website is not very informative.

I'm not much help. I bought it at a retail store in Ontario. Shoot them an email.

I walked an outdoor archery hunting course today in 32 degree F temp with the sweater completely zipped open.

Their 2009 wool hoodie looks nice too.

Last edited:
Did anyone mention the M-65 field jacket?

My M-65 (Coat, cold weather, field, camouflage pattern) with a quilted synthetic liner is amazingly warm. I scotchguard the shell for better water repellence. For the money, I don't think this jacket can be beat. The new G-tex coats are great, but many guys like the old M-65 for it's proven warmth and quiet performance in the kuds.

im right there with ya! :):thumbup:

My winter gear tends to fluctuate between activities. Things like hiking and snowshoeing I like soft shells like the killer gander mtn soft shells and now the awesome TAD stealth merino and reloaded. I layer under them with a 200 weight fleece and some wicking long sleeves. For the real cold or when I'm not going to be active a snugpak softie elite pull over.
For hard shells the ECWCS and north face mtn light (10 years strong!) see a lot of use when plowing on the wheeler.

I go fairly low tech. I like a waterproof shell, a fleece vest, and a wool shirt.

It is really never all that cold anyway, down in North Florida where I am.

Back