Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Just got a Case mini copperlock in CV. Red jigged bone. First I'll comment on the colour, real nice cherry red in the middle but faded almost to pink by the edges. The cherry red seemed too plasticy looking though, and the almost pink wasn't doing it for me so I dyed it in some boiling hot vineager with coffee and dark red dye for a few minutes. It evened it out and added a little brown to make it look less like plastic. Much better now.
Next, f&f. Definitely not a GEC but well put together. Transitions and pins flush, some gaps between scales and liners. A little daylight through the backlock spring. Shield not fit too well and epoxy that needed to be removed around it. The blade sits either perfectly centred or way over to the shield side, you can move it around closed but it doesn't rub. It locks up perfectly however, no play in any direction, (GEC should take a look at these). The action after flushing it with wd40,(needed it before dying but I waited till after) and a couple drops of lube is good. Light pull til just before lockup then stiffens. It doesn't drop freely with the lock fully depressed, in fact it still requires a decent push to begin closing. The plunge grinds, swedge and sharpening choil all great, the edge is a bit uneven one side to the other but shaves out of the box even with a pretty "toothy" edge. The tip could be better. I'll fix all this when I sharpen it, but I like to use the factory edge for a while first just to see how it performs.
Haven't tested her out on much yet but feels nice and solid, heavy for its size but probably a good
thing as I think it might feel flimsy otherwise being so slim. Feels good in hand considering it's small size.
I wanted a small locking blade that I could throw in my suitcase for travel without worrying to much if it gets lost or swiped by a baggage inspector. At the same time I didn't want some cheapo that I wouldn't trust or enjoy carrying. I think this little guy is the right knife for the job, I'll see how I feel after carrying it for a week on our upcoming trip.

Well after a week of being my sole carry, (I usually carry a larger locking folder and a slipjoint of some kind) the mini copperlock performed admirably. No big complaints, the blade moves up and down a little during harder use, (It actually pushes the lockbar up and backwards a touch) but not enough to make one worry. I used it a lot and for many different tasks. The hotel we stayed at had the knives tucked away in a spot we didn't notice for the first 2 days, lol! It has a nice patina now and will need a good sharpening but still has a usable edge. I don't think it will jump into any regular carry rotation but it will definitely work its way into my pocket now and again.

It was the My visit to Hess Knifeworks thread from Cory Hess Cory Hess that introduced me to Hess Knifeworks. A couple of months later it was r redden r redden 's My new little Hess Whitetail thread that made me decide that if I were to get my own Hess someday, it would be a Whitetail.

Well, someday came and I went for it. This stacked leather Whitetail arrived from Gunstock Jack's this week:

lMkxgMVh.jpg

p3PG545h.jpg

I like it.

Last edited:
It was the My visit to Hess Knifeworks thread from Cory Hess Cory Hess that introduced me Hess Knifeworks. A couple of months later it was r redden r redden 's My new little Hess Whitetail thread that made me decide that if I were to get my own Hess someday, it would be a Whitetail.

Well, someday came and I went for it. This stacked leather Whitetail arrived from Gunstock Jack's this week:

lMkxgMVh.jpg

p3PG545h.jpg

I like it.

Greg that's a beautiful little knife. :thumbsup: I almost bought the stacked leather but ended up with the maple burl. I have had the knife for a while and in fact just posted about it in the considering a fixed blade thread. I find I am carrying it often in the sheath in my right front pocket. I did make a paracord lanyard that attaches to my belt at one end and the sheath at the other just to secure it from an accidental loss. I use it for everything. The combination of easy pocket access and the blade size and shape make it my go to anytime it's in my pocket. I believe it will also make an excellent skinning knife. IMO the bottom line is it's a great little knife and I am definitely going to buy some more models of Hess knives.

I had a Hess Tibouron. Great little knife, I just found that crown Stag handle cramped my style.

For the price, you could do a LOT worse than Hess. Really nice, affordable, small batch knives.

Greg that's a beautiful little knife. :thumbsup: I almost bought the stacked leather but ended up with the maple burl. I have had the knife for a while and in fact just posted about it in the considering a fixed blade thread. I find I am carrying it often in the sheath in my right front pocket. I did make a paracord lanyard that attaches to my belt at one end and the sheath at the other just to secure it from an accidental loss. I use it for everything. The combination of easy pocket access and the blade size and shape make it my go to anytime it's in my pocket. I believe it will also make an excellent skinning knife. IMO the bottom line is it's a great little knife and I am definitely going to buy some more models of Hess knives.

Thanks Randy. I noticed your post in the "considering a fixed blade thread" right after I posted here. Nice to share a Whitetail Moment with you. ;)

Thanks for sharing more of your thoughts on your knife and how you carry it. I don't see myself carrying it in my day-to-day life, but I also assure you that it won't just be tucked away in a drawer, either. I'm looking forward to getting to know it and put it to use.

For the price, you could do a LOT worse than Hess. Really nice, affordable, small batch knives.

Amen to that.

I really like the look of that Hess WhittlinAway WhittlinAway . It has a wonderfully classic look.

Thanks! My other fixed blades are either Finnish or Swedish and I was looking for a smallish one of classic American design to join them. The Whitetail in stacked leather fit the bill perfectly.

It was the My visit to Hess Knifeworks thread from Cory Hess Cory Hess that introduced me to Hess Knifeworks.

Fantastic looking knife you got there. I'm really glad, and humbled, that my post brought some attention to what Andy is doing up in the UP. I'm still carrying my Caper anytime I have a belt on. In fact, I find myself leaving my slipjoints at home many days simply because they rarely get used on account of the convenience of the Caper. I also find that the convex edge makes the 1095 much more to my liking. It holds an edge extremely well, and takes nothing but a couple of swipes to touch up.

You can easily find a more expensive knife, but I honestly don't believe that there's a better knife being made, at least for my needs.

Just opened the mail....
Trestle Pine Superior with Stag handles. F & F is very nice. Pull is strong, about a 7.5 Obviously you can pinch it open! CPM 154 for those of us who want a SS blade.
Stag is nice and even on each side. One of the sharpest blades I have ever had, out of the box. I have the same knife with Ash covers, that I have never carried. I am going to choose between the two
and put it in rotation. Not sure about brass bolsters. They will probably grow on me.

2aKoLWD.jpg

Been thinking about one of these for awhile. Basic, sturdy, inexpensive, not too big/not too small (it's the small version) - it seemed like a good "throw it in your pocket and go" knife. Well, I like it! Nice size, carbon steel blade that keeps an edge, takes a nice patina in a thin package that rides well in a jeans pocket. I don't carry the same knife everyday but this may come as close to EDC as I get. I'm kinda surprised because until recently a Sodbuster wasn't on my radar.

2WNFwog.jpg

That's the best factory dye job I've seen recently on a Case. Does the pile side match the mark side? I really dig that Sodbuster Jr, Atiger!

The FedEx driver who delivers to us is a knife guy, so when he stopped by earlier this week we each had to show off a couple of new acquisitions. Then he told me that the local knife shop's owner had just returned from some knife shows and had brought back some new items, so on Friday I stopped by. He had several new Rough Riders, including this model RR106 split back whittler. Since I'm just getting started with whittling I thought I'd better bring it home. ;) It very nicely complements my RR375 whittler since the only blade the two have in common is the pen.

36227118245_e5969d508a_c.jpg

I ordered some knives on July 4 that I haven't posted here yet. Here's one of them, a pen knife from Rough Rider's relatively new Copper Ridge series. Many dealers are billing this as a mini copperhead, but it doesn't have the distinctive copperhead bolster. I'd say it's a pen knife pattern with a spey secondary blade. The handle is grooved buffalo horn, the blades are 440A with "rose titanium" coating (? :confused: ?), bolsters and liners are purportedly copper. My first foray into the copper bolster category. :thumbsup:
JaQexjF.jpg

odhyyBr.jpg

Fus4Gor.jpg

- GT

Back