Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Will Power, Mar 28, 2014.

1. sf fanatic

sf fanatic Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Just came today. :)
    84DC497A-5FD9-4584-A5BB-B84B841035D4.jpeg

Lee D, Dschal, Ironbut and 14 others like this.
  2. solphilos

solphilos Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Initial impressions? The Tribal Lock is great knife, such a handy design that’s a pleasure to carry.

3. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Boker Solingen Expedition Barlow. Canvas Micarta, brass bolster, and 440c steel. After seeing @OldHercDude's, I just could resist!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Lee D, Dschal, Ironbut and 12 others like this.
  4. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    6CE0B49B-0085-4A95-8BC4-96C94389EDD0.jpeg 76F0EA51-3804-446D-8187-690197805116.jpeg
    I just got this beauty in from a trade where I swapped mustangs with @Fire King

5. OldHercDude

OldHercDude

Jun 28, 2020
    How's your copy?

IIRC, the bolsters are bead-blasted brass, not bronze.

6. Fixall

Mar 26, 2018
    And another one! USPS had to make a second trip to my house today because they forgot a package. Score! I wasn't expecting this bad boy for a couple more days.

I've been meaning to check out the Case Sodbuster Jr. and Collector Knives had a price that was just too good to pass up. CV steel and jigged chestnut bone. Thanks @knifeswapper!

[​IMG]

Good call, not sure why I put bronze, lol. Fixed! My example is phenomenal! There is the tiniest bit of Micarta thread poking out from the shield that I'm going to take care of, but other than that it's basically flawless. :D

Tx308, willard0341, Lee D and 20 others like this.
  7. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    They are great little knives, and fantastic slicers, and your new addition is no exception. Lovely bone. I'm sure you will be happy with it and put it to good use.:cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::D:D

Fixall and Marlingspike12 like this.
  8. OldHercDude

OldHercDude

Jun 28, 2020
    I've seen a couple of places where people have called it bronze, I had to go back and check the first time I saw that.

Fit and finish on mine is good. Action was initially kinda gritty and the full open had no snap. Some working back and forth and some oil, and it feels good now, with a solid snap into the open position. I did bang it against something and put a very small divot/ nick in the pile side bolster. Oops. Good thing it's a user.

Fixall likes this.
  9. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    That is a very nice looking Sodbuster Jr. I really like the jigged chestnut bone in CV, are the covers pretty thin?

Fixall likes this.
  10. Fixall

Mar 26, 2018
    Thanks! Mike sent me a good one. :) I guess I'd call them medium thickness? I have knives both thinner and thicker jigged bone scales. I'd say they are roughly about an 1/8" thick. The covers are also flat and uniform which makes it feel smaller in the pocket than it looks.

[​IMG]

11. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    @Fixall

Thanks! I prefer thinner covers, those look good.

12. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    G,day, if i may, i have 2 Case sodbuster juniors, one is a pocket worn whiskey bone, similar to Fixalls but just different bone color. I also have one in yellow delrin, the bone is just so much thinner than the delrin. I have measured them for you with an electric measuring caliper. The bone is .396 inches and the delrin is .530 inches, so you can see there is a big difference, and i call the bone thin. I hope this helps you make any decisions.

13. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

willard0341, Half/Stop, Lee D and 9 others like this.
  14. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    @Fixall I was thinking of giving my Chestnut Bone cv Sodbuster away a few months ago, then I came to my senses :D After a couple of years neglect-twilight zone in some drawer- I fetched it out, cleaned it up and really delighted with it. F&F superb, very easy in the pocket, looks good and it was not expensive either. The ingredient of a good pocket-knife. Motto here: re-appraise your knives from time to time, there are hidden stars.

[​IMG]

Tx308, Half/Stop, Dschal and 14 others like this.
  15. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    Yes, it does :thumbsup:

I recall the older delrin Sodbuster covers were much thinner and more rounded, the current ones are blocky in comparison.

16. Archie

Archie Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 4, 1998
    My three newest additions. If asked, I would would generally state a preference for multi-blade patterns. However, the 74 has been in my pocket every day for a week, and I might have to start doubling up so these other two can get some carry time.

2D6FC8D1-E69F-4716-8E5E-AC4B70E15653.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Half/Stop, Lee D, Dschal and 6 others like this.
  17. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie - Ritchie Handmade Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    Does one I made for myself count as new?
    20201119_102247.jpg

18. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Yes !

Signalprick likes this.
  19. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    Did you pay yourself :D

Signalprick likes this.
  20. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Due to the exceptional circumstances of Covid: people being cooped up at home, dearth of physical shopping we can let this one through ;):D

An exceptional Spear that, wonderful skill :cool::thumbsup:

Signalprick likes this.