Your Opinion of Sanrenmu Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im starting to see these alot on ebay and some of them are fetching as much as $40. This company claims to be the best in China or atleast one of the two leading quality companies in China. They look really nice but want your all's opinion. Thanks
Cary

Im starting to see these alot on ebay and some of them are fetching as much as $40. This company claims to be the best in China or atleast one of the two leading quality companies in China. They look really nice but want your all's opinion. Thanks
Cary

Do a quick search and you'll find a couple of recent threads about Sanrenmu knives.

$40 for a Sanrenmu? I have about 7 or 8 SRM knives and I don't think I ever paid more than $12. I think they are really well made. Love 'em.

Yes thats normally what I see too but for some reason right now there is one on there thats at $31, they make a note about only 1, so its unusual I guess and thats the draw. I looked up on prior blade forums talks and my question has come up before. Looks like your right, for the most part they say well made, good quality and inexpensive. Im an avid supporter of the main blades of the USA, Germany, Seki Japan etc but I have to say that I have intentionally bought some "fake" Bucks etc on purpose just because of the price and when I get them in I am astonished at the quality in these imitations and also the generic's. Sometimes we pay alot for a name when in fact some of these other knives are as good or maybe even superior.
Thanks for your help.
Cary

Yes thats normally what I see too but for some reason right now there is one on there thats at $31, they make a note about only 1, so its unusual I guess and thats the draw. I looked up on prior blade forums talks and my question has come up before. Looks like your right, for the most part they say well made, good quality and inexpensive. Im an avid supporter of the main blades of the USA, Germany, Seki Japan etc but I have to say that I have intentionally bought some "fake" Bucks etc on purpose just because of the price and when I get them in I am astonished at the quality in these imitations and also the generic's. Sometimes we pay alot for a name when in fact some of these other knives are as good or maybe even superior.
Thanks for your help.
Cary
I'm sure all the hard working American, German, and Japanese knifemakers and designers would not really agree with that statement, but ok.:rolleyes:
beating_a_dead_horse.gif

...yet another sanrenmu whatdayathink thread?

man, just buy your knockoffs and be done with it...cheers to you for only paying $12 or whatever for it...done.

...yet another sanrenmu whatdayathink thread?

man, just buy your knockoffs and be done with it...cheers to you for only paying $12 or whatever for it...done.

That's exactly how I feel about them. I could care less for a company who steals design's to make money.

I'll take my buck's, spyderco's, benchmade's, and kershaw's any day before I'll carry one of their 12$ dollar knives.

With so many great company's selling decent quality knives for less these days, there's no reason I would ever have to buy and support a company who condones and profits from design theft.

"If your thing is to get a $12 knife made in China because you think its as good as a $50 or higher priced knife, then your no knife enthusist. You're the same guy that shops at the dollar store."

Now that was a generic statement not aimed at the O.P.

But, it feels right to make that statement and to apply the term "Cheapskate" to anyone that wants a Chinese made knockoff because they like the idea of saying "it cost $12 and it's as good as your $100 knife."

Okay, that's my rant but trade with China is a complicated issue due to a whole host of problems/issues and knife buying is where I can choose to buy from a maker/country that plays by the rules.

Actually owning one of these and not just preaching about it, I think the 710 is an good knife. Not because it's $10, not because it's made in China, but because it is a good knife.

That's exactly how I feel about them. I could care less for a company who steals design's to make money.

I'll take my buck's, spyderco's, benchmade's, and kershaw's any day before I'll carry one of their 12$ dollar knives.

With so many great company's selling decent quality knives for less these days, there's no reason I would ever have to buy and support a company who condones and profits from design theft.

Don't really have a dog in this fight (at least not yet), but I would say that the folks at Spyderco would probably say that Benchmade --and a couple of other manufacturers-- have stolen designs to make money.

Well since you can buy a Kabar Warthog or Dozier for the same price, I think the Taiwan made Aus-8 folder from one of the oldest, most reputable companies in the industry would be out the Chinese wannabe lookalikes... but that's just me.

SRM makes good knives.

But, it feels right to make that statement and to apply the term "Cheapskate" to anyone that wants a Chinese made knockoff because they like the idea of saying "it cost $12 and it's as good as your $100 knife."

Calling someone a cheapskate for refusing to spend $100 on a knife instead of $12, on what is undoubtedly a very good knife, is being a jerk. The gap in utility between the $12 SRM and just about any $100 dollar knife is embarrassingly small compared to the gap in price. So small that I find it impossible to cast aspersions on anyone choosing the lower cost SRM. Seriously, an $88 dollar span is a lot to ask of a knife consumer looking for a good blade. It only gets worse when you begin to compare an $8 SRM against a $300+ knife it was inspired by.

Okay, that's my rant but trade with China is a complicated issue due to a whole host of problems/issues and knife buying is where I can choose to buy from a maker/country that plays by the rules.

The rules? You mean your rules. Your prerogative, of course. Just allow us to decide our rules.

Don't really have a dog in this fight (at least not yet), but I would say that the folks at Spyderco would probably say that Benchmade --and a couple of other manufacturers-- have stolen designs to make money.

No dog here either....but...
This whole business of 'who stole what design from who...' gets a little old.
As does painting "Chinese Crap!" with a broad brush.

After all, a knife is only a blade attached to a handle (ducking the soon-to-come-flames). There are only so many blade shapes and steels, handle shapes and materials, locking mechanisms, etc. Every so often a maker produces a truly innovative design, but most knives have a lot in common, regardless of maker.

That said, the overall F&F, quality and materials can vary widely, and if SRM or any maker can rival the big-boys in F&F, quality and materials, I say "OK!!".

I'm not for out-and-out ripoff copies at any price, but there always seems to be enough difference between makers and designs to obviate a cut and dried determination of who stole what.

The original question was "your opinion of the SRM knives", and politics aside, they seem to get a pretty good rating...especially at the price.

Just my opinion...

I'm sure everyone in this thread has something that's a "made in China" knockoff, whether it's electronics, tools, or knives. As a building contractor, I scoff at Harbour Freight Tools and those who use them; however, I do have off-shore made electronics, because I care less about them. It is hypocritical of me to criticize the purchasing of off shore goods when I do it myself for products that aren't in my "enthusiast" category. It is amazing at the uncanny ability of SanRenMu to duplicate (in appearance) other production knives.

On a side note, I can hardly wait for the "Porsha Ky-Ann" made in China.:D

No dog here either....but...
This whole business of 'who stole what design from who...' gets a little old.
As does painting "Chinese Crap!" with a broad brush.

After all, a knife is only a blade attached to a handle (ducking the soon-to-come-flames). There are only so many blade shapes and steels, handle shapes and materials, locking mechanisms, etc. Every so often a maker produces a truly innovative design, but most knives have a lot in common, regardless of maker.

That said, the overall F&F, quality and materials can vary widely, and if SRM or any maker can rival the big-boys in F&F, quality and materials, I say "OK!!".

I'm not for out-and-out ripoff copies at any price, but there always seems to be enough difference between makers and designs to obviate a cut and dried determination of who stole what.

The original question was "your opinion of the SRM knives", and politics aside, they seem to get a pretty good rating...especially at the price.

Just my opinion...

agreed.

I bought one the other day on the bay and only paid 85 cents for it. I dont expect it to serve any purpose other than being a cheap knife to hand out to someone who wants to borrow my knife. However i will reserve final judgment until i actually receive the knife.

Cary

I bid $25 on that one. It was a model 910, which I have been unable to find for sale anywhere. Judging by the quality of other knives I have from them and the rarity of 910's, I would say it was at least worth my bid. Maybe next time.

SRM makes good knives.

Calling someone a cheapskate for refusing to spend $100 on a knife instead of $12, on what is undoubtedly a very good knife, is being a jerk. The gap in utility between the $12 SRM and just about any $100 dollar knife is embarrassingly small compared to the gap in price. So small that I find it impossible to cast aspersions on anyone choosing the lower cost SRM. Seriously, an $88 dollar span is a lot to ask of a knife consumer looking for a good blade. It only gets worse when you begin to compare an $8 SRM against a $300+ knife it was inspired by.

The rules? You mean your rules. Your prerogative, of course. Just allow us to decide our rules.

Shecky I knew you'd be along. My rules? Grow up and think past the $12 knife lump of steel in your hand. The rules are those that the G7 countries operate under. China does not.

Have you asked yourself how the Chinese produce and sell knives for the price of lunch at McDonalds? Oh their hungry, that's right you've said. If that were so Haiti would be the manufacturing capital of the world. No you haven't considered anything because you've already said you don't care for anything but the cost of the knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back