Your Opinion of Sanrenmu Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I found a Sanrenmuwhatever, I would actually pick it up.

And dump it in the nearest storm drain or toss it in a swamp.

What a POS.

Ha Ha! :thumbup:

Seriously, I feel sorry for those who are satisfied with buying and carrying one of these knives.
There's just no way buying one of these would satisfy my knife fix. If I ended up buying one of these it would most likely end up as a slip sinker or something.

Why do people get so upset over a simple pocket knife when they are using a computer made in China and watching a TV set made there, even wearing 100 dollar plus running shoes from China. There's just too many items made in China today that are high tech and we depend on them daily to get upset over a pocket knife, coming from there. Of course China can make a decent knife. It's hardly surprising to me, when we just bought a 1000 dollar plus high-definition flat-screen TV that was made there. They can pull that off , I'm pretty sure a knife is rather simple in comparison. If you feel they are copying other knives and don't want to buy them for that reason, then don't. We sure don't have to buy them. There's other choices. Unlike when you go to get a new TV, computer, or a pair of running shoes. But, don't be so shocked when the country that provides us with so many items we depend on everyday, turns out a fairly decent pocket knife along the same lines as the rest of the cheap serviceable goods we buy from them. I don't have any American brand knives made in China. It's not because they are junk. It's just because I can still buy knives from the USA and I have a choice. Unlike the TV and the computer I use everyday.

I'd get one if I was in the market for something like that, but right now I can't see myself carrying one, since I have better knives that I'll always reach for first. So even if it's only $10, it would be a waste for me on something that I'll never use.

I don't see a problem with these knives if that's what you want, but I can understand others' frustration at SRM's approach. The Chinese aren't hard-working masters of innovation that put Americans to shame. Of course their knives are cheaper: they're lower quality, made with cheaper labor, and they don't have to pay for research and development (that's a big cut in costs) when they're just copying true innovation. I'm not a mindless flag waver, but I don't buy the comments about Americans being lazy or incompetent. Someone earlier said that we didn't win WWII with the best tank, but we built a lot of effective things. The war ended when we built the best bomb. Success and victory is the right of those who innovate. People don't have a problem with the Chinese-made Spyderco Tenacious, because Spyderco is profiting from their own innovations. If SRM invented a few new features and put out an original design, then people wouldn't argue about it. This isn't an issue of hard-working vs. lazy workers, it's an issue of innovators vs. leeches.

I've seen a 710 and it was a very solid little well made frame-lock. Opened smooth, felt like a strong little folder. I used it to cut small green branches and it cut very well for a knife with a under 3" blade. Sharpening pencils was very easy, the knife fits my hand well for such work and it seemed to hold an edge very well. The blade centering was spot on when closed and a few American companies should take a lesson and send theirs out consistently centered.
The knife was fairly sharp when my friend showed it to me. But, after I hit each side a few licks on the fine sticks it became hair popping sharp. I was able to push cut newsprint with ease. So, yeah it's a decent little knife. Can't take that away from it no matter what you think of all the other factors.

Looking at the 710 again the lock bar is very tight and well fitted. They did an excellent job getting it right, IMO. When you open the blade it snaps into place with two distinct clicks. It's all steel construction with tight lockup makes it feel solid and durable. You open the knife and there's no movement in the blade at all.
So, the fact is the knife is very well made. If people choose to call it junk because it's influenced by CR's design I have no argument with that. I'm just looking at how the knife really is. I think if they become widespread and are selling here for 10 dollars or even less, they will be serious competition in the low price range knives. People that aren't "into" knives enough to worry about what the knife looks like, or where it came from will be very happy with them for the price.
1zoyqzd.jpg

the SRM 710 is a decent knife.

i edc my BM 635 and keep a SRM in my backpack for when someone asks to borrow my knife or for harder cutting chores like wire and stuff. I don't feel bad about messing up the edge and having to reprofile a $10 knife, i'd be a bit more upset doing it with a $150+ knife

it's basically my equivalent of a ka-bar dozier but a little bit cheaper and prettier

I have knives from France, Sweden,Japan...

I have a habit of losing pocket knives.A few years ago I had several knives stolen.For me inexpensive is the way to go.Im planning on getting one of these Sanremu's just because some people object to it.:p

Im planning on getting one of these Sanremu's just because some people object to it.:p

Lmao! That's a good enough reason right there.:D

Seriously though, the 710's design is obviously inspired by the Sebenza, but it really isn't THAT close. They are very different knives, even more so if you take the similarities of their appearance out of the equation. Plus, they obviously do have to do R&D, otherwise their knives would not be of any quality. Also, they do have knives of their own design, but they tend to be ignored by most people.

The only thing that I find a little sketchy is their, I assume, unauthorized use of the Axis lock on some of their knives. How long did it take before other companies used the backlock, framelock, or liner lock after they were originally designed? When does it become a standard locking mechanism? Probably once a patent expires is my guess.

To anyone who is curious about the quality of these knives, but does not want to buy one because you perceive them as a possibly unethical company: Pick up a Buck 327 Nobleman. It is a knife that is almost certainly made by Sanrenmu for Buck. You will be supporting a great US company that will back up your purchase with a lifetime warranty, and you can satisfy your curiousity.

Seriously though, the 710's design is obviously inspired by the Sebenza, but it really isn't THAT close.

It's a regular Sebenza blade on a classic Sebenza handle. The hardware and functioning areas are different because, let's face it, Sanrenmu couldn't touch CRK in those areas, but the design of the blade and handle are directly stolen from the Sebenza.

There is no denying it. I've held my Sebenzas up to the screen and seen the lines are exact aside from a millimeters difference here and there.

It's just a knock-off. Maybe a nice knock-off, but still a knockoff. I like knives too much to waste my time with knock-offs.

It's a regular Sebenza blade on a classic Sebenza handle. The hardware and functioning areas are different because, let's face it, Sanrenmu couldn't touch CRK in those areas, but the design of the blade and handle are directly stolen from the Sebenza.

There is no denying it. I've held my Sebenzas up to the screen and seen the lines are exact aside from a millimeters difference here and there.

It's just a knock-off. Maybe a nice knock-off, but still a knockoff. I like knives too much to waste my time with knock-offs.

I disagree, I have held my 710 to the screen with a Sebenza and see a pretty big difference between the blade shape and handle. However, it appears that neither of us has held both for a proper comparison. Luckily, STR has, see here.

The question is "Your opinion of Sanrenmu Knives" The easy answer is 'asked and answered!'

Looking at the knives comparing them to others we are familiar with I think the SRM hold their own. You can certainly do worse from China or Taiwan.

To give you an idea of what I mean and where I'm coming from I'll add this. I bought a Folding Razel from CRKT a while back. It cost me over $40 after shipping. I returned it because in my opinion it didn't rate worthy of much in the way of positive remarks. In comparing that Razel by CRKT to the Kabar Phat Bob I thought there was a stark contrast. The Phat Bob is a foreign made knife also but much nicer. It cost me $50 plus or minus after shipping for the Kabar. I bought a Kershaw Rainbow Leek from Wal-Mart not long ago also. Its made in the USA and ran me $54 to have it shipped to the store for no shipping charges to me. All I had to pay was my local tax when I was notified it arrived and I could pick it up. Its a great knife and in my opinion way better than both of these others mentioned.

Then sometime later I started getting questions about these Sanrenmu knives from members here asking me for my thoughts. So I bought a few for myself to see what they were all about. I've only had the 710s and the 939 as well as a folding slip joint one hand opening model H0 something or other. I can't speak very highly of that one personally and don't care for it but its made well just not my cup of tea. The 710's ran me $11.80 each based on the math after shipping. I think the Leek is better made but then it better be for five times that cost to me. Truth be told, these 710 models I own are nicer than the Phat Bob folder that cost me nearly what the Leek did. For that matter the 710 is right up there with the Leek for build quality, fit and finish and overall type of folder you will get when you buy one using similar size hardware, in a knife not far off in weight or size from the Leek. I love the Leek. I'd rather have it and own three but honestly I can't argue that the 710 is a great knife for someone that can't afford to spend $50 on a knife.

Part of the value for the SRM is the price I mean lets be honest. They are a steal for what you get and in this economy with unemployment the way it is every knife nut needs some steals they can still afford in the way of knives now and then.

STR

I thought they were very well made for the price, though I ended up giving away the two I had. For me, I figured out what I liked in knives and focus on that. Nothing beats a Made in USA, G10 FFG Spydie :)

The question is "Your opinion of Sanrenmu Knives" The easy answer is 'asked and answered!'

Looking at the knives comparing them to others we are familiar with I think the SRM hold their own. You can certainly do worse from China or Taiwan.

To give you an idea of what I mean and where I'm coming from I'll add this. I bought a Folding Razel from CRKT a while back. It cost me over $40 after shipping. I returned it because in my opinion it didn't rate worthy of much in the way of positive remarks. In comparing that Razel by CRKT to the Kabar Phat Bob I thought there was a stark contrast. The Phat Bob is a foreign made knife also but much nicer. It cost me $50 plus or minus after shipping for the Kabar. I bought a Kershaw Rainbow Leek from Wal-Mart not long ago also. Its made in the USA and ran me $54 to have it shipped to the store for no shipping charges to me. All I had to pay was my local tax when I was notified it arrived and I could pick it up. Its a great knife and in my opinion way better than both of these others mentioned.

Then sometime later I started getting questions about these Sanrenmu knives from members here asking me for my thoughts. So I bought a few for myself to see what they were all about. I've only had the 710s and the 939 as well as a folding slip joint one hand opening model H0 something or other. I can't speak very highly of that one personally and don't care for it but its made well just not my cup of tea. The 710's ran me $11.80 each based on the math after shipping. I think the Leek is better made but then it better be for five times that cost to me. Truth be told, these 710 models I own are nicer than the Phat Bob folder that cost me nearly what the Leek did. For that matter the 710 is right up there with the Leek for build quality, fit and finish and overall type of folder you will get when you buy one using similar size hardware, in a knife not far off in weight or size from the Leek. I love the Leek. I'd rather have it and own three but honestly I can't argue that the 710 is a great knife for someone that can't afford to spend $50 on a knife.

Part of the value for the SRM is the price I mean lets be honest. They are a steal for what you get and in this economy with unemployment the way it is every knife nut needs some steals they can still afford in the way of knives now and then.

STR

Based on what you've said in other threads — and simple curiosity — I ordered the 710 on the first, for a whopping $9.40 . . . shipped to my door. I'm still eagerly waiting for it to arrive from China. The shipping was only $3 and something from China . . . that's amazing to me, since I usually pay six to ten dollars for knives shipped here in the United States: how do they do it?

I have every confidence that this is going to be a good knife, one I'll enjoy using.

One of the things, other than curiosity, that caused me to pull the trigger on this knife was the quality vs price point. At that price, how could I not order one?

Let's see; I'm mostly retired, living on a paltry Social Security pension, and barely surviving. I like knives, so what do I do? Do I simply go without, or do I give Sanrenmu a try? For me, it was a no brainer to buy a decent knife for what I would pay for a meal at a fast food restaurant.

Even I can afford a good knife at these prices, and I'm looking forward to having it show up on my doorstep.

I bought 10 different SRM knives just to see what the hell. The most impressive was the 'Bee' L05. I think that if it's origin was unknown, you might squeek $40 US out of it. Of the 10, I would rate 6 to be perfectly usable and well made knives. One I junked and three I gave away as 'utility' knives. Would I buy them again? Probably not, as I can get equivalent or better construction and much better designs with the Spyderco Byrd series, knowing that at least some of the profits are staying with a company I respect. These are the last Chinese made knives that I will purchase, simply due to the fact that my sights are set higher and my curiosity has been satisfied. That said, for those that do not have the ways and means to a more expensive, higher quality knife, I believe that I could recommend the SRM knives.

I am astonished at the amount of stupid posts in this thread.

Everyone who says not to buy the knives are undermining capitalism. Simply ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back