Your Opinion of Sanrenmu Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bid $25 on that one. It was a model 910, which I have been unable to find for sale anywhere. Judging by the quality of other knives I have from them and the rarity of 910's, I would say it was at least worth my bid. Maybe next time.

I don't think LAND 910 will ever be a collectible. Majority of SRM knives can be purchased for less than $10 ($6-10) and that's the biggest appeal. I just don't see how to justify 3x the price of that ebay auction.

By the way, ebay is definitely not the best place to buy SRM. I see people paying double price on that auction site.

Search the web, there are several websites that have SRM for $6-10, delivered to your door (FREE shipping). No need to bid, just add to the cart and pay with paypal (CC protected).

SRM makes good knives.
Calling someone a cheapskate for refusing to spend $100 on a knife instead of $12, on what is undoubtedly a very good knife, is being a jerk. The gap in utility between the $12 SRM and just about any $100 dollar knife is embarrassingly small compared to the gap in price. So small that I find it impossible to cast aspersions on anyone choosing the lower cost SRM. Seriously, an $88 dollar span is a lot to ask of a knife consumer looking for a good blade. It only gets worse when you begin to compare an $8 SRM against a $300+ knife it was inspired by.

What made you so believe that those $12 knives are as good as $100 products from Spyderco or Benchmade alike? I guess your $5 Walmart T-shirt is as good as the one from Lacoste since the gap in the function to cover your body parts is the same? Are you sure you are not the same guy shopping in that Dollar store?:jerkit:

Far be it for me to point it out, but the US has historically not been known for turning out the best materials. For example, the US did not win WWII because we produced the best tank, the best airplane, the best battleship, the best aircraft carrier, the best rifle, etc. No, we won because produced large numbers of serviceable weapons. What scared the crap out of Germans is that a Tiger would knock out five Shermans, and get gutted by the sixth Sherman coming over the hill. We could trade five Shermans for one Tiger. They could not. My point is that China is merely doing to us what we did to other nations. I really don't see why we complain about it. Without Chinese imports, life in the US today would be hell. If you don't believe me, drive to your local Wal-Mart and watch all the people buying groceries and clothes on EBT. Those people can afford a nice life on the government dime in part because of cheap Chinese products. Without those products we would be in a world of hurt, people.

Anyway, I will get off my soapbox.

I own a 710. For the money, it is an excellent knife.

What made you so believe that those $12 knives are as good as $100 products from Spyderco or Benchmade alike? I guess your $5 Walmart T-shirt is as good as the one from Lacoste since the gap in the function to cover your body parts is the same? Are you sure you are not the same guy shopping in that Dollar store?:jerkit:

And what makes you think they're not? Have you done side by side testing of both?

Not trying to start a flame war here folks, but entirely too many people disparage the Sanrenmu stuff simply because it's not marked Spyderco or Benchmade, but how do they know how good it really might be? Not a single one of them, to my knowledge, has done any testing whatsoever.

Now, it may turn out that the Sanrenmu stuff is not as good as, say, Spyderco (I'd be a little surprised if it were, actually), but before making blanket statements, perhaps some testing should be done, rather than knee-jerk statements.

Shecky I knew you'd be along. My rules? Grow up and think past the $12 knife lump of steel in your hand. The rules are those that the G7 countries operate under. China does not.

Have you asked yourself how the Chinese produce and sell knives for the price of lunch at McDonalds? Oh their hungry, that's right you've said. If that were so Haiti would be the manufacturing capital of the world. No you haven't considered anything because you've already said you don't care for anything but the cost of the knife.

Do you really think they can sell a 7 dollar knife with comparable quality to the best production companies in the USA by just underpaying their workers? Yes they dont pay their workers as much as they should but its hardly the slave conditions you suggest. I've been to China multiple times and have family members who live there and they would laugh at your comments. Guess what, they work their asses off in China and everyone believes strongly in working hard. Only in America do people say take it easy and dont work too hard. That philosophy creates more efficient workers and higher quality goods at a cheaper price. Also Sanrenmu doesnt have massive profit margins like US knife companies. Unfortunately America has fallen behind when it comes to efficient production compared to China and we as American consumers end up paying for it. I dont own any knives from Chinese companies, except for my 3 Sanrenmu knives I picked up recently from a trip to China, and wholeheartedly support US knife companies like Spyderco but I find it funny how ignorant some of the China bashers really are. If you really are strapped for cash and need a knife, how can you not consider a 7 dollar knife with superb quality like the 710. Instead of saying we as Americans should work harder to catch up, people say lets boycott Chinese products. Terrible attitude and a losers mentality if you ask me.

Guys,

There've been lots of good and not-so-good points made in this thread. I think that it's pretty clear what people think about buying Chinese-made knives.

It is, however, considerably less clear exactly how good these knives are. I suggest we quit the politics and get back on topic :)

One of my fellow Scouts recently got his hands on a SRM knife. I didn't care for the design (SS framelock...left-handed, hate SS) but it had good blade geometry, and the steel took and held a good edge.

The build quality was pretty good too. I'd stack it up against an Opinel any day as "best cheap pocket knife". Not on the order of Spyderco or BM or Kershaw, but no blade play, no loose or stripped screws and properly finished parts.

I'd say that for twelve dollars you're actually getting maybe a thirty-dollar knife.

Do you really think they can sell a 7 dollar knife with comparable quality to the best production companies in the USA by just underpaying their workers? Yes they dont pay their workers as much as they should but its hardly the slave conditions you suggest. I've been to China multiple times and have family members who live there and they would laugh at your comments. Guess what, they work their asses off in China and everyone believes strongly in working hard. Only in America do people say take it easy and dont work too hard. That philosophy creates more efficient workers and higher quality goods at a cheaper price. Also Sanrenmu doesnt have massive profit margins like US knife companies. Unfortunately America has fallen behind when it comes to efficient production compared to China and we as American consumers end up paying for it. I dont own any knives from Chinese companies, except for my 3 Sanrenmu knives I picked up recently from a trip to China, and wholeheartedly support US knife companies like Spyderco but I find it funny how ignorant some of the China bashers really are. If you really are strapped for cash and need a knife, how can you not consider a 7 dollar knife with superb quality like the 710. Instead of saying we as Americans should work harder to catch up, people say lets boycott Chinese products. Terrible attitude and a losers mentality if you ask me.

I hate to embarrass you after this emotional outburst. But facts are facts and you're either ignoring them or are ignorant of them. The United States' industrial output is currently 1.4x that of China and its GDP is 3x that of China. However, when you consider that China's industrial workforce is as much as 40x the size of America's, the per-worker output here is actually ~60x of there. And when you consider that China's population is 5x that of America, the per-capita GDP here is actually 15x of there. All of this -- according to you -- is without us even trying very hard. Are you sure you want us to?

Better stick to knives, Sir. Your knowledge of economics is weak. And more importantly, this is a knife forum. ;)

I think there are a couple of reasons that people are getting rattled over this concept: (1) is the assumption that these off shore knock offs are taking away from sales of similar looking domestic knives, and (2) that these off shore knock offs are copying unique designs by other, reputable makers.

(1) this assumption is wrong. I just bought a BM 710 M390. Would I have even considered one of these SanRenMu knives instead? No way. While these off shore knives look similar, they're not the same in any way, except cosmetically. Even non-knife people would realize that it's an apples to oranges comparison. It's like putting a ferrari body on a Hundai. Looks like a ferrari, but doesn't perform like one and it wont' hurt ferrari sales.

(2) Yes, they are copying designs almost identically. Unless they're violating any patent laws (which seems like they might be), copying the appearance isn't illegal in all cases. And they're not taking away from sales of the same knife that's 10x more expensive. Now if there were some domestic knives, any for that matter, that could be had for $10, then they're taking away from that market. However, I think we'd all be hard pressed to find a domestic knife for $10.

My .02.

Every single SRM thread turns out like this. Stop beating the dead horse. If you like the knives then buy them use them.

I don't think LAND 910 will ever be a collectible. Majority of SRM knives can be purchased for less than $10 ($6-10) and that's the biggest appeal. I just don't see how to justify 3x the price of that ebay auction.

By the way, ebay is definitely not the best place to buy SRM. I see people paying double price on that auction site.

Search the web, there are several websites that have SRM for $6-10, delivered to your door (FREE shipping). No need to bid, just add to the cart and pay with paypal (CC protected).

I never said collectible, I said rare. PM me a place that sells the 910 if you know of one, because I have purchased SRMs from several places, but no one carries the 910. I bought my very first 710 from eBay, but most of the others came from exduct or qualitychinagoods. I have been looking for one of the 910 to try out, but cannot locate one at all (except that last ebay auction.)

In the final analysis, this is all that counts.
This kind of attitude is a very slippery slope.

I'm really starting to miss the old Spyderco VS Benchmade, Sebenza VS Strider, Kershaw VS The World threads.

These kinds of threads show more of people's true colors than I care to see, and are far more depressing.

If I found a Sanrenmuwhatever, I would actually pick it up.

And dump it in the nearest storm drain or toss it in a swamp.

The swamp route is what I did when I found a Shrade 30T that was chinese. I actually tried to open and close it a few times and felt the need to destroy it before some kid found it as his first knife.

What a POS.

I picked up an SMR 939 and Navy K-506 after the last thread. They're really nice with lockup ~40%, came sharper than my last Spyderco and Benchmade, the blades are centered, and really nothing is amiss. The quality is ridiculous for ~$10.

Far be it for me to point it out, but the US has historically not been known for turning out the best materials. For example, the US did not win WWII because we produced the best tank, the best airplane, the best battleship, the best aircraft carrier, the best rifle, etc. No, we won because produced large numbers of serviceable weapons.

The military geek in me has to raise objection to that statement.

The Sherman tank was a result of a poorly thought out and misconceived American armor theory, not of bad engineering. The British showed with their Firefly version of the Sherman that with a simple addition of a proper gun, the Shermans could have handled German tanks very well.

For examples of fine American war engineering during WWII, allow me to point you to the P-47 Thunderbolt, P-51D Mustang, or the South Dakota class battleships - arguably the finest and most powerful treaty-restricted battleship ever built.

The SoDak class could have laughed at the German Bismarck as it pounded the much larger German engineering masterpiece to rubbles, and it actually did simply brush-off off a Japanese battleship's main weapon fired from very close range.

The American standard for 'serviceable weapons' tended to be rather high. Chinese? Well that really depends case-by-case doesn't it?

I picked up an SMR 939 and Navy K-506 after the last thread. They're really nice with lockup ~40%, came sharper than my last Spyderco and Benchmade, the blades are centered, and really nothing is amiss. The quality is ridiculous for ~$10.

And how do they do that...ridiculous quality for $10? Kind of reaffirms the thought of many Americans these days, that they can get something for nothing, that they in fact deserve something for nothing.

Rather unfortunate really this slippery slope we are on.

Question: Isn't one of SMR's other holding company's called Land? We have Navy and Land knives. Guess who really owns and benefits financially? Hint: Maybe they should have another knife brand called Air or Sky then they'd have their three branches covered. You are starting to see I hope.

"Your Opinion of Sanrenmu Knives"
- cowhorse01

just wait till it gets a big break into the movies.
then perhaps the opinions would matter some.

I hate to embarrass you after this emotional outburst. But facts are facts and you're either ignoring them or are ignorant of them. The United States' industrial output is currently 1.4x that of China and its GDP is 3x that of China. However, when you consider that China's industrial workforce is as much as 40x the size of America's, the per-worker output here is actually ~60x of there. And when you consider that China's population is 5x that of America, the per-capita GDP here is actually 15x of there. All of this -- according to you -- is without us even trying very hard. Are you sure you want us to?

Better stick to knives, Sir. Your knowledge of economics is weak. And more importantly, this is a knife forum. ;)

Sorry but where in my post does it say that China is outproducing America? I said it was falling behind in efficiency not that China was #1. Maybe next time read thoroughly before making snide comments sir. Knives are being sold for a fraction of the cost of something equivalent made in America. THAT is being efficient in production and wasting nothing. Quantity not always greater than quality. You also forget to mention technology plays a bigger role in mass production, not you know actual people working hard.

All of this -- according to you -- is without us even trying very hard. Are you sure you want us to?

Seriously? This is exactly the arrogant elitist attitude I'm talking about. Great message you are sending out there saying you dont have to work hard to maintain #1 status if you're an American. I'm an American born citizen and your comment embarasses me. Sounds like you were butthurt about my comments about not working hard and automatically assumed I'm not American. Wonder why :rolleyes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back