1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Your opinion on Emerson knives?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Berickson47, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Berickson47

Berickson47

Mar 6, 2017
    Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a Emerson mini CQC-8 or CQC-7AW. I think they're really awesome blades. But I've read a lot of mixed views on Emerson quality and fit and finish, especially on the titanium liner lock. What's your guys thoughts?

Thank you!

2. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    I approve. :D
    Come on over to the Emerson Forum.
    rolf

3. gastonian

gastonian Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2012
    I like the designs, but they are ground on the wrong side for right handed users.:thumbdn:

4. SigKershaw

SigKershaw

Nov 6, 2016
    The guys who bad mouth the fit and finish expect perfection and no small issues-forgetting these are handmade. Many of us buy from Emerson because of the owner and his family, stand up people. I have seen occasional quality control problems but their customer service is great to fix whatever you might have to complain about. When you spend your $200, you'll know who gets the money. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Berickson47

Berickson47

Mar 6, 2017
    I already have a post in the Emerson forum. Just thought I'd get some different opinions in a general forum. Thanks though!

6. shinyedges

shinyedges Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2012
    I don't trust their liner lock, actually I don't trust any liner lock for the most part. That said from time to time I still get drawn in to some of the designs.

You'll probably have to get one and figure out if it's for you. Some guys swear by them. Others have had bad luck with them.

7. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Get the Emerson. I have only ever had problems with one of my Emersons, the Super Roadhouse. It has bad lockslip but I can send it in any time I want them to fix it. I should really send that sucker in.

All my other Emersons have been great sturdy knives that make excellent knives for self defense as well as EDC use. All the liner locks on them have been excellent, starting off with a little bit of stick but wearing to a point where they stop wearing and just hold the knife locked open securely without any issue.

There is something just special about Emerson knives, they just feel tough and rugged like a real tool. I would do things with my Emersons I wouldn't dream of doing with my Chris Reeve or Spyderco knives.

8. falar

falar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2012
    All of my folders are currently ZT or Emerson.

I just had my Super CQC-8 reground with a zero edge---holy shit its a laser.

9. SigKershaw

SigKershaw

Nov 6, 2016
    Open forum questions can lead you down a path where many of the folks who chime in May not have owned one or are trolling. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Emerson knives have simple designs that are durable and easy to maintain. They typically are very ergonomic. Ernie has brought a lot to the knife community, and is as good a guy as you can find, and is dedicated to supporting America and American products.

11. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Took me a long time to get into them, but I enjoy mine a lot. I don't see quality issues, but can see an arguement being made around materials and price. The designs and feel do it for me though...like Lapedog said- they have a special quality.

12. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    As I have said before an Emerson is like an old Camaro. There may be newer and shinier knives and cars but the Camaro and Emerson just has something about it that is unmatched.

13. Todd21969

Todd21969

Apr 23, 2013
    I love my Mini CQC 15.

A year and a half of carry (and use) it does everything I need it too.

[​IMG]

And Emerson's Ti liner lock works just fine thank you..

Just because I could..

[​IMG]

Is the fit and finish flawless?

Nope. Though I worry more about ergonomics and performance than wether or not my liners are polished.

Fits me like it was made for my hand.

[​IMG]

The only other company that comes close to ergonomics and function for me is Spyderco.

( I'll never give up my Military, Para 2, or Police either)

14. falar

falar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Emerson handle ergos are the best. Just as good in a regular grip as they are in a reverse grip. I love them.

15. nightman

nightman Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2010
    I have owned, carried and used them. I still have a cqc8. Nothing special about them to me. I don't carry them anymore.

16. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2011
    fit and finish complaints are typically only cosmetic. emerson makes good user knives. many dont think they are worth the premium in cost. many dislike the chisel edge. other type reasons, etc. they arent for everyone. i like mine.

oh and rolf approves emersons and that is all that matters.:)

17. Sigsog226

Sigsog226 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Ive only owned cqc7's as far as emersons go and really liked them. Only personal complaint of mine that gets harped on quite a bit is that the chisel grind is on the wrong side for me. But they offer v grinds so not really an issue. Even with that i still found them to be very well built and fun to use. Ive been thinking about getting one again myself. Im thinking a commander, cqc7 (v grind), or cqc13.

18. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Emerson horseman (mini cqc8) My favorite. Nothing mini about the knife. Full 3.5 inch. blade (3.54 inch). Carries really well in the pocket. Grind lines were perfect. Edge was perfect.

19. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Platinum Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I've had bad luck with them. I bought a new CQC-7 a while back that had such bad lock geometry that you could push it closed like a SAK. Also, the gas station cheapo-bin level fit and finish is hard to justify at where the knives are priced.

Different strokes for different folks, though. Lots of people here love them, though, so they must not be all bad.

20. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Love them or leave them :)