Your ultimate Zombie Apocalypse knife

That’s what I carry most weekends though, so it would likely be what I had on me if anything happened. :rolleyes:

Same here and I'd take my chances with that kit in the near term. Longer term, food will be gone before swords become a primary weapon IMO.

HUOUnFy.jpg
Not at home and you beat me to it. Lol

Imagine it finally happened! Zombie Apocalypse... :D:D:D or total breakdown of law, civil war/unrest or rebellion type of situation.

Scenario: You have short time. You run back home. Grab you favorite gun/rifle, pack the backpack with ammo, food, water, essentials, etc... And the last missing piece - a knife! Which knife are you taking with you? A folder? fixed blade?

For me personally that knife has to be an all purpose, any purpose tool, hard use and heavy-use; good for prying, stabbing, hard hitting... it should be a knife, a machete, an axe, a sword, a slicer, a chopper, a bit of everything good packed together in a single knife and under 10oz weight...

I would be stuck between: ColdSteel 4Max, Medford Fighter, Medford Proxima and Medford Praetorian T... something with super heavy 0.19 inch thick blade, 4+ inch long blade (the more the better) with full titanium body/frame handles (I don't think G10 or CF is appropriate for this type of SNAFU situation).

I think for me Medford Praetorian T might be the winner...

What's your ultimate apocalypse knife in this situation???
Sure as hell wouldn't be a folder. One of these:
FeSa9bJ.jpg

Probably the Difensa.

........How many rounds does the typical owner stock for each firearm? How many rounds are currently in inventory at retailers? So you might run out of pew pew, but chances are the guy you pull your machete on has not.

A quality 4" fixed blade and SAK will do IMO. If I'm proven wrong, it's probably time to take a break anyway.

Yeah, rifles first. The problem is not how many rounds to own per rifle, but how many rounds can you carry? So, obviously this is fantasy. I keep 22K rounds of my primary caliber, but I'd have to bug in to use it. Unless we all had Mad Max like vehicles to carry our machine guns and ammo, bwhahaha!

KNIVES OP: First, a 10oz. limit is ridiculously light. If I were to leave in a hurry with only one knife it would be my BRK Crusader 3V (stock photo) or my Busse Bunker Buster.
Probably the Crusader because of the 3V steel and convex grind.

My current non-zombie apocalypse bug-out bag; A Silky saw, a BRK JX5 chopper, my BUSSE SFNO, and a BRK Bravo 1.5 3V LT. If the knives got too heavy I'd ditch the JX5.

BRK Crusader 3V
crusader.jpg

BUSSE Bunker Buster INFI
IMG_0121 (2).jpg

Last edited:
It would have to be a fixed blade, wouldn't it?

The biggest,sturdiest knife I own is actually the USMC KaBar.
Would have liked a massive Busse, but that's not going to happen.

Walking Dead zombies seem to have unrealistically (!!) spongy skulls that are easily penetrated by blades. So after gun I'm thinking hammer for backup. The knife will be for general cutting chores not defense, since slicing zombies is apparently ineffective in stopping them

The Cold Steel Bushman:
1. it is a knife
2. 9.8 oz. Standard blade (bowie weighs too much at 10.1 oz.)
3. can be used as a spear head

Obviously, something akin to the Zulu iklwa is the ideal non gun powder way to handle z's. Stab that gnarly skull without getting too close to get nibbled.

i keep meaning to pick up one of those 14" old hickory butcher/machetes... thanks for reminding me henry

I live in my bugout place so I'd probably not have to run, but if I had to and I could really only take one belt-sized fixed blade, that would be my Terävä puukko 140. But to slay zombies you need some standoff distance, so with that in mind I'd take my Skrama. Chops through anything, zombies probably included...

These fantasy threads are great. Consider the 393 million firearms in the USA for only 372 million people.

How many rounds does the typical owner stock for each firearm? How many rounds are currently in inventory at retailers? So you might run out of pew pew, but chances are the guy you pull your machete on has not...

Ammo at stores dries up in a hurry during a crisis. Just thinking about guys I know, people tend to have at least a few hundred rounds on hand and often per caliber that they use. In a crisis, expect people to hold on to it for dear life and in many cases, suspend or sharply limit practice.

Threads like this are about firearm backups, IMO. Guns would obviously be the first line of defense.

If you ran out of ammo, I don’t think a 4” fixed blade and SAK would cut it. That’s what I carry most weekends though, so it would likely be what I had on me if anything happened. :rolleyes:

While blades could be used defensively against fellow humans who have gone rogue, I still question their efficacy against fictional hordes of the undead. Even against dangerous humans in real life though, guns will still be much more effective and reliable in most cases. I still view blades, whether folding knives or machetes, primarily as tools in a disaster situation.

In some mythologies, the undead are attracted to loud noises and that could be an added consideration. It's also worth pointing out that suppressors are radically less pervasive than guns in the United States due to almost a century of strict regulation. (Public fear against gang violence, largely resulting from Prohibition, fueled the nation's first real gun control. Suppressors and machine guns were primary targets.)

Last edited:
At this point in my life I'd be a more effective zombie.
Gotta die of something I guess, and I just don't have the energy for an apocalypse.
Got a bunch of weapons hanging around though, I'll leave a sign on the door for y'all, pick a good one.
Good hunting.

Back