1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

ZDP-189 edge chipping test:

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jimnolimit, Apr 13, 2011.

1. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    *disclaimer: i went into this test willing to except responsibility for ruining/damaging my knife and/or myself. if anyone tries to recreate this test they must also except that responsibility. the endura 4 both ZDP-189 and VG-10 are NOT DESIGNED OR INTENDED FOR HARD USE/ABUSE.*

(post #55, i added another test where i cut a sneaker into many pieces.)

i just took my ZDP-189 spyderco endura 4 FFG and put a 18-20 degree angle (per side) edge on it. here are the pics of the edge before and after cutting up a coffee can.

all close-up pics of the edge are taken on my microscope at about 40x-50x. i used a marker to section off a part of the blade to i could scope the same spot each time.

here is the edge right after i sharpened it, before i used it to cut:

ZDP-189
    [​IMG]

this is what i first cut with the knife. i believe i did 7 cut to take the top off of the can:

ZDP-189
    [​IMG]

here is the edge after those cuts:

ZDP-189
    [​IMG]

here is a pic of the tip after cutting the can (sorry i didn't take a before pic of the tip):

ZDP-189
    [​IMG]

i then decided to cut the whole can in half (i believe i used 12 cuts):

[​IMG]

here is the edge after both cuts (notice the marker is almost worn off):

ZDP-189
    [​IMG]

here is the tip after both cuts:

ZDP-189
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    That looks pretty good to me. The lesson I'm getting here is using the right bevel angle for the right jobs.

3. Noctis3880

Noctis3880 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Did you roll the edge?

4. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I'd say it held up nicely given that there's no good reason to cut up a can other than to post it on a forum like this. Next time I'm fighting off zombie coffee cans, I'll know which steel to reach for. Thanks for the pics:thumbup:

BTW, could you try this with some other steels so there's something to compare to?

5. Gunsnknives

Gunsnknives

Mar 26, 2011
    Nice test. I was reading the "Optimum Edge Holding" thread and followed it hear...Now I'm kind thinking about getting a ZDP189 blade...maybe the AG Russell Acies.

6. SpartanSaint

SpartanSaint

Jun 17, 2010
    ha ha you and me both brother! :thumbup:

7. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    no the edge didn't roll.

taking a pic of the edge straight on is nearly impossible for me. here is the edge (tilted), magnified at about 375X:

ZDP-189
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  8. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    i'll cut up a coffee can with my spyderco para2 S30V blade later on today.

9. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    That would be cool. Are you going to put the same edge on it or are these factory edges?

10. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    BTW, how dull was the knife after? Still cuts paper? Duller?

11. Noctis3880

Noctis3880 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Hmm, looks a bit like micro-chipping, and I'd expect at least that level of damage no matter how super the steel is. Though I think it's fair to say that the steel will do well in a knife so long as it's kept to whatever a knife is supposed to be used for.

12. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    the knife would push cut newspaper against the grain before the test. after the test, slice cutting newspaper with the grain is a little difficult and cutting newspaper against the grain is not really possible, somewhat if i use a sawing motion. the knife still goes through cardboard easily and it would probably take me about 30 seconds to get this knife close to/at the sharpness i started with.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  13. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010

Agreed but it's also nice to know how the steel does just in case.

14. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    That's pretty good. Thanks for the reply.

15. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    i don't own a knife that still has the factory edge ;).

i'll use the same stones and approximately the same angle on my para 2 that i used on this endura 4.

16. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    yeah, there is a bit of micro-chipping, but it's really only noticeable at higher than 50x magnification. like you said, i expect any steel with this blade geometry to sustain some micro damage after cutting up a coffee can.

it's always nice to know what a blade is capable of. i won't do a destruction test (im not going to destroy one of my perfectly good knives), but risking chipping/ruining an edge doesn't bother me.

17. A.P.F.

A.P.F. Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Thanks for those great images. I have a ZDP-189 Endura FFG on the way. It is nice to know just how well it will keep an edge.

18. Ankerson

Ankerson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    That's about right. :)

19. DennisStrickland

DennisStrickland Banned BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    very good edge retension, i see no problem with the edge after a strenuous workout. zdp seems to work well in regular pocket knives.--dennis

20. Toyz

Toyz

Nov 2, 2006
    I've been impressed with my Acies - the steel seems to do well.

Thanks for taking the time to do the test - I appreciate someone posting real world results rather than speculation.