ZDP-189 Lum Chinese folder.

Using the ZDP Caly Jr as my EDC right now - like many of you - it dawned on me that if there is any clipit that would absolutely shine with this steel and this super-thin grind, it would be the Bob Lum Chinese folder.

I'm raising the cry for a Lum Chinese ZDP-189 sprint run. Black handles? What do you think?

*edit*

If you don't like black, what colour would you suggest? (Green and Gunmetal Blue not eligible.)

Whoa! Carlos is stepping up with a sprint run request?!?!?
Yeah, I'm down... I even like the black handle suggestion. :D

that's a great idea!!!! I'm in too, but black handles... maybe we can think of something more appealing.

While I've always been an advocate of returning the Lum Chinese Folder to production, I don't think ZDP-189 would be the way to go for one reason. Cost. That little folder was priced a little too high when it originally ran. Jacking the cost even higher would no doubt push the real world retail price up to at least $175. That's getting up there where only very serious collectors would be interested, meaning the knives wouldn't be serious users.

I think Sal has the right idea bringing affordable ZDP knives to the marketplace. Let companies like William Henry make costly ZDP "wall hangers".

Black wouldn't be my first choice for the handle color but we can discuss color later - the concept of a ZDP-189 Chinese folder is great!

I'd take one in a minute. I'd go for a deep, dark green for handle color over black though.

Good choice :thumbup:
A Lum Chinese with the thinner grind that ZDP-189 allows would be one heck of a slicer. It's darn good at the momment, any improvement would make it amazing.

The dark gun metal blue on the last Lum sprint run would be my choice, black as second best. No bright colours please ;)

Make it a titanium framelock with really thin polished green canvas Micarta scales!

Would bright colors be more in line with Chinese popular art? I wouldn't quibble about the color, but I'd like something at least as eye-catching as the maroon Caly Jr.

And I would prefer a lockback to the original liner lock. FRN or Micarta scales, lockback ... that could bring down the price.

I am always concerned with scuffing up the handles of a higher end knife. It makes me leave it at home.

I would suggest a brushed silver finish on either steel, aluminum or titanium - that could be easily buffed back to a nice finish if scuffed or showing wear OR - some type of highly scratch/scuff resistant finish like Bodycote's diamond DL, maybe they could do a solid color instead of the rainbow finish - lastly, not mirror finished so it will hide fingerprints & provide a non-slippery grip.

If they could make a color something like the benchmade's blue switchback but with a scratch free finish.

I would spend $150 to $200 for a knife that has an amazing cutting grind & steel that will hold it, with a handle that will still look new after carrying it & using it.

If I am going to spend that knid of money, I have to feel proud to show it off & not be afraid to use it.

Carlos said:
Using the ZDP Caly Jr as my EDC right now - like many of you - it dawned on me that if there is any clipit that would absolutely shine with this steel and this super-thin grind, it would be the Bob Lum Chinese folder.

I'm raising the cry for a Lum Chinese ZDP-189 sprint run. Black handles? What do you think?
Well Carlos, much as I love the Chinese Folder, as a lefty I know darn well that if such a sprint run was produced, they would all have right handed locks. :( So, I will just say that I'm sure Bob Lum would be happy to build one for you. :D

I'd be happy with green, black or steel blue ... heck anything's pretty much okay -- but I'd rather have it as a framelock than a liner lock. :)

The Caly Jr in ZDP-189 being my first Spyderco purchase, I'm not as familiar with their line versus the Benchmades I've always purchased. Would it not be an easy task to offer this blade in a variety of colors? After all, its not the color of the blade that offers the functionality; its the blade.

Does Sypderco generally only offer one color per Knife name? I was put off by the color when seeing it in the General Discussion Forum, but after getting one (I was intrgued by the Steel) I have to admit that it is much better looking in person (or would that be "in knife"?).

tim8557 said:
Does Sypderco generally only offer one color per Knife name? I was put off by the color when seeing it in the General Discussion Forum, but after getting one (I was intrgued by the Steel) I have to admit that it is much better looking in person (or would that be "in knife"?).
Generally, yes, but there have been, and are now exceptions to that. Some models have offered different colors serially, the Calypso Jr., for example was originally offered in black FRN, later in grey both with VG10 blades, and most recently in burgundy FRN and ZDP-189. Think at least part of the reason for the choice of a unique color for the ZDP offering was to make it easy to distinguish, just as the grey served to distinguish the recent sprint run from the original production black ones.

Some models, like the Rescues, have been offered in multiple colors at the same time. Problem with a single color is that a person eithers likes it, or does not. Problem with offering a variety of flavors is that dealers often balk at stocking them. No single, simple, answer.

The Chinese is a longtime favorite of mine, great suggestion. I'm already drooling on the keyboard!

Wouter

Back