ZDP-189 Lum Chinese folder.

While I initially suggested black in my original post, I also put my early vote in for HAIII. I suspect however, one factor against the use of HAIII for scales is color variation from part to part. It may be very difficult or impossible to get the scales on each individual knife to match when using HA III. On a flashlight, this is less an issue, since color variation between head, body, and tail, doesn't look bad - it is still symetrical and functional looking. An assymetry with knife scales would probably be unmarketable. There is a reason why we've never seen HAIII used on a folder before, though I was hoping that this would be the first. I don't know if Bob Lum and Spyderco considered it and looked at it, but this is a possibility.

Losing the HAIII proposal, I do like black. It is the traditional color for this type of knife, which in China usually features scales of black buffalo horn. In the end it was Bob Lum's decision.

FullerH said:
Do I detect note of disappointment in the choice of color? I had expected to be flamed for my post and, instead, find agreement.

agreement here. I thought that the old ones were so beautiful because they were such a distinctive color.

Architect said:
I have to agree. Black Almite is a poor choice.

That doesn't mean it won't sell, it is just a disappointment.

Hard Anodizing on a sprint run would have been good.

I agree as well. I have no problem at all with a well designed and built liner lock but the Almite handles are a reall show-stopper for me. No more aluminum scales for me, and the only exception might be if they are HA III coated.

Too bad, this had a lot of potential. It will probably sell, but not to me.

Well I'm looking foward to owning a version of a very classic and sought after Spyderco knife. who really cares about the color?

Well, whatever color was chosen, some people would have been unhappy. Heck, it is that way with most models in regular production. Even HAIII wouldn't have pleased everyone.

Michael Cook said:
who really cares about the color?

I don't. Aluminum just comes off as cheap when used for scales. What ever color it is, unless it is a safe queen it will get ugly quickly.

cmd said:
I don't. Aluminum just comes off as cheap when used for scales. What ever color it is, unless it is a safe queen it will get ugly quickly.

I got rid of all of my aluminum-handled folders because a single drop on a hard surface renders them scarred for life. As much as I dislike FRN, I prefer it over aluminum.

Aluminum is cold and slippery. Almite coating (Type II anodizing) is significantly thinner than Type III, but my recollection is that there is a lot of Type II color anodizing done in Japan, so it is probably vendor-driven anyway.

Type II Anodzing (the so-called hard anodizing) does in fact increase the surface strength of the aluminum making it more (much more) damage resistant. I have dropped my Surefire flashlights more than a few times and they have come out virtually undamaged. The Type III transforms the aluminum to a greater depth, so even if you ding it, it mostly likely won't expose the raw aluminum below.

crap....black???

if we are going black, then at least make the liner thick.

Thanks to the folks that made this happen. The original Lum Chinese folder remains my favorite Spydie of all time. I plan to get three of these new ones. One of them is going to be a hard-use EDC. I'm going to put it to the test. Anybody know who the Seki contract shop is?

I actually prefer black to just about any other color. It goes with everything and it's classic. I don't see what the fuss is about. I'm actually quite happy with the decision.

Shao

well, it's cos the dream list was:

1. HAIII natural colour
2. thick liners / framelock

since one is struck out, I'm hoping that the other item on the wish list is still a possiblity

spyken said:

1. HAIII natural colour

since one is struck out, I'm hoping that the other item on the wish list is still a possiblity

Oh, ok. Thanks. Its a long thread.:)

spyken said:

1. HAIII natural colour

One out of two, not bad. Me, zip out of 3 !!:thumbdn:

spyken said:

1. HAIII natural colour

#2 was never in play, in terms of the actual request/poll thread. It was never an option. Many people wished for it in this thread, but as far as the sprint went, it was never given as available. See here, first post:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363948

I think this is awesome! I posted in this thread back in September, lost track of it, and now the Lum Chinese is coming back! Looks like my Green PE #533 will have a sibling. I can't wait. Forget the delica, give me a Lum!

Is this going to be a regular model or another sprint run :rolleyes: ??? I had the opportunity to handle a custom lum folder yesterday and was very very impressed.

Hey folks - I haven't been around on these forums in a while but I just saw this thread....and this is the knife I had hoped Spydie would make as soon as I heard about them adding ZDP-189 to the line-up. FWFW, my vote would have been for blaze orange canvas micarta handles :D - this will be my go-to hunting folder if/when I get my hands on one.

SO, just to be clear, what do I have to do to ensure my name gets on the "I want one" list?

Thanks.
- C

Back