Zero tolerance 0777

[video=youtube;k5a42stk9Ms]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5a42stk9Ms[/video]

:applause:

Hey Mantzao,

Take a look here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/874191-ZT-0777-NEW-Hi-Res-Photos!

Sample pics from the thread:

6046851259_74f36735d9_b.jpg

6046852927_f530a09671_b.jpg

6047403074_c501d71a41_b.jpg

6047405320_b2542f89fe_b.jpg

mantzao and knivesandguns, thanks for the vids; it's going to have to hold me till the real ones start coming around.

There is lots of misinformation and conjecture in this thread regarding N360.

N360 is a nitrogen stainless steel. It is electro slag remelt (ESR) not powder metallurgy. ESR produces very clean steel and is more expensive casting steel.

The edge holding is about the same as 440C, but it is several times tougher. This means you can thin the edge to take advantage of the toughness. When the edge is thinned it will out cut 440C because of the better geometry.

The corrosion resistance of N360 is excellent.

The N360 is composite welded with Devon Thomas Herringbone damascus.

Do you think the technology and materials in the knife are cheap. WAKE UP! This is bleeding edge stuff (pun intended).

I have a knife made from N360 and I like it. Another knife has been tested in the field for six months and the reviews have been great. The reviewer has been using the knife for bushcraft and survival classes. Every time he get a chance he leaves fish guts on the blade. The knife is left exposed outside every night. There are no spots of rust or corrosion.

If you complain about N360 I suspect the grapes at too sour for you.

I love the design of this knife. The only thing that is visually displeasing to me, is the pocket clip. That said, I don't think a normal clip would follow the lines of this knife too well. So, it's just one of those things inherent to the knife that I won't be able to get over.

WOW just WOW. I dont think I understand though I thought ZT were hard use/built like a tanks. this though looks like a classy futuristic gentleman's knife, and as such I would prefer a harder more wear resistant steel

Whats with the fuller? the New spyderco Tuff has one too. I dont think I really like it. it looks good here, it works not necassarily practical, but I hate it on the tuff

I keep thinking to myself - what's with all the negative waves, Moriarty?

I have one coming whenever it get's here. If you play the pre-order game, you have to be prepared to just accept that the knife will be here when it gets here.

I prefer larger knives, and this one, Thomas, will sit down in my pocket with that awesome pocket clip, so it will go to work with me regularly.

Maybe not a gentleman's knife, but certainly one that is easy to carry well-concealed.

I have a Tilt on the way to play with until the 777 comes in.

best regards -

mqqn

Whats with the fuller? the New spyderco Tuff has one too. I dont think I really like it. it looks good here, it works not necassarily practical
On the 0777, it's functional as an alternative option in opening the blade. We've found people like options.

I am surprised to know that the steel will hold an edge just about 440c. I was in love with it because it ticks every box but now I might cancel my order. almost 500 for 440c edge retention.

hard to keep up with all these steels.

There is lots of misinformation and conjecture in this thread regarding N360.

N360 is a nitrogen stainless steel. It is electro slag remelt (ESR) not powder metallurgy. ESR produces very clean steel and is more expensive casting steel.

The edge holding is about the same as 440C, but it is several times tougher. This means you can thin the edge to take advantage of the toughness. When the edge is thinned it will out cut 440C because of the better geometry.

The corrosion resistance of N360 is excellent.

The N360 is composite welded with Devon Thomas Herringbone damascus.

Do you think the technology and materials in the knife are cheap. WAKE UP! This is bleeding edge stuff (pun intended).

I have a knife made from N360 and I like it. Another knife has been tested in the field for six months and the reviews have been great. The reviewer has been using the knife for bushcraft and survival classes. Every time he get a chance he leaves fish guts on the blade. The knife is left exposed outside every night. There are no spots of rust or corrosion.

If you complain about N360 I suspect the grapes at too sour for you.
Thanks for weighing in Chuck. I know you were excited when we spoke on the steel choice. Looking forward to getting N360 and the 0777 on the streets. :thumbup:

Increased toughness will support a more acute edge angle? I thought toughness resists chipping and fractures for the most part. In my experience it is harder steels and steels with lots of carbides that will support an acute edge. Tough steels just roll along the edge when ground thin.

Regardless a tough steel belongs in a fixed blade not a folder. I have plenty of knives that hold an edge similar to 440C and I don't carry them anymore. I don't like a knife that gets dull before the end of the day and doesn't keep a sharp edge for long. I can easily tell a difference between high wear resistant steels and lower wear resistant steels that have higher toughness. Guess that makes me a steel snob.

When I read the manufacture spec sheet and saw where it fell I canceled my order. I'm sure many people won't use it because of the price but it would go straight in my pocket. Maybe another variation will be made with a high wear resistant steel. The Tilt still isn't out and it was first shown almost a year and a half ago. How long will it be until this one is available? The 550 is still waiting on steel too if I remember right.

I would love to have one but I have enough knives and blade steel is one thing I don't compromise with anymore even if only based a a spec sheet and speculation.

Back