Zero Tolerance Current/Upcoming/Discontinued Models

I'd definitely want the less-than-overbuilt 0230 if it didn't have that goofy Anso hoop thing. I don't know why I hate the way that looks, but I do.

Nice design and materials
Not a fan of the lanyard loop either but than is a detail

New ZT knife announced, the 0230. I wonder if it will still come in "A Real Beast" and "Proudly Overbuilt" box lol. https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0230

97773f172e79ff2efdb1ec73bbf5ac94.png

Not what I was expecting. At least it shows ZT still has a pulse.

I love my 561. but the 550 is my go to for hard (ab)use.

I wish the blade on the 230 was a little longer and didn’t have the tacky loop. And this is coming from someone who will most likely own a 223 some day, if I can find one for the right price.

Last edited:
I'd definitely want the less-than-overbuilt 0230 if it didn't have that goofy Anso hoop thing. I don't know why I hate the way that looks, but I do.

Totally agree. It should've been flush with the handle plus it could be a hot spot when holding it.

Let's try to keep this thread just about Zero Tolerance knives and not Kershaw.

Thank you.

n
No Jordan - this is probably the only time I disagree with you. That is an ugly and disappointing ZT :thumbsdown:

Fair enough, I'm really into modern material slipjoints, and have had a good experience with my double detent Viper slipjoint, so I am pretty optimistic about this one. Everyone has their niche or two.

Fair enough, I'm really into modern material slipjoints, and have had a good experience with my double detent Viper slipjoint, so I am pretty optimistic about this one. Everyone has their niche or two.

The Viper Dan Slip Joints with either Drop Point or Wharnie blades and a choice of Micarta, G-10, Wood and CF handles plus adequate N690 stainless steel and priced in the $110-$150 range are great! The ZT 0230 is slimmer and lighter with excellent steel and at $180 not too bad.

The Viper Dan Slip Joints with either Drop Point or Wharnie blades and a choice of Micarta, G-10, Wood and CF handles plus adequate N690 stainless steel and priced in the $110-$150 range are great! The ZT 0230 is slimmer and lighter with excellent steel and at $180 not too bad.

Agreed, considering the materials and ZTs excellent fit and finish, $180 is a solid price.

I guess to answer my own question... ZT knives are now "proudly precision built". It does appear ZT has actually changed their mission statement. https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/about

It does seem that ZT has changed it's viewpoint on what type of knives it should build, given the most recently released 0230, 0022 and 0223, but these are NOT the types of knives that drew me to the line and motivated me to start collecting their knives.

The question is whether this change in philosophy will help them grow their business w/customers who appreciate this change in focus or diminishes their business by losing customers who were drawn my their initial design approach and do not like/appreciate the change.

So far, at least among us here, it appears the result is more the latter. I for one do NOT like the change and the only ZTs I've bought in the past and continue to buy now are the older and earlier versions of their knives that were "proudly overbuilt."

It does seem that ZT has changed it's viewpoint on what type of knives it should build, given the most recently released 0230, 0022 and 0223, but these are NOT the types of knives that drew me to the line and motivated me to start collecting their knives.

The question is whether this change in philosophy will help them grow their business w/customers who appreciate this change in focus or diminishes their business by losing customers who were drawn my their initial design approach and do not like/appreciate the change.

So far, at least among us here, it appears the result is more the latter. I for one do NOT like the change and the only ZTs I've bought in the past and continue to buy now are the older and earlier versions of their knives that were "proudly overbuilt."

Exactly, that is why I checked out to see if they updated their business slogan/motto (which they did). To me, it would make more sense if they kept ZT the same with it's original purpose of premium tactical knives, and created a premium EDC/small knife off-shoot company to ZT. Like they did with Kershaw and ZT back in 2006.

Back