Zero Tolerance Liner Lock Closures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I want to get a ZT 0909 or 0095 and while doing a little research stumbled across this video.
Just wondering what people think about the blades closing when knocked from the back. I tried to recreate it with sone liner and frame locks from another brand but couldn't. I'm not really that concerned about it and doubt it will affect my purchase, just curious for thoughts.

Hi, I want to get a ZT 0909 or 0095 and while doing a little research stumbled across this video.
Just wondering what people think about the blades closing when knocked from the back. I tried to recreate it with sone liner and frame locks from another brand but couldn't. I'm not really that concerned about it and doubt it will affect my purchase, just curious for thoughts.

There have been a few threads about this. ZT hasn’t addressed it so far as far as I know and they don’t have a forum here.

I have had two ZT620s and the CF version had a lock that would fail wih a weak spine tap. Bending the lockbar in abit fixed it 100%. Of the many ZTs I have owned the 620cf is the only one that has this lock failing issues.

It was discussed before not too long ago. I can try and find the thread later if nobody else is quicker. I can get my 0909 to close that way if I give it some whacks on a hard surface at the right angle, but I don't care and still carry it and don't worry. My 0095 doesn't close, if I recall correctly, but again after I tried it I basically forgot about it.

I had an 0350 and that thing locked up TIGHT. I never tapped on the back of the blade to test it, but I bet it would take a really hard jolt to force the blade closed.

I had an 0350 and that thing locked up TIGHT. I never tapped on the back of the blade to test it, but I bet it would take a really hard jolt to force the blade closed.

You’d be surprised if you try. I don’t spine whack my knives because that can actually hurt the lock, but I spine tap them against my knee or palm or side of the chair.

Sometimes the knives that seem to have super solid locks fail to my surprise. Weirder; locks with a little movement sometimes don’t fail at all.

G GTS9 I thought the guy in the video made a really interesting point at the end. That ZT knives come in at the price they do because they use the latest materials and technologies and look beautiful.

However seems Spyderco knives are actually better built in terms of integrity of the actual lock.

I’m shocked ZT hasn’t addressed this what with all their “It’s a real BEAST, Built like a tank!” The topic is widely circulating now.

You’d be surprised if you try. I don’t spine whack my knives because that can actually hurt the lock, but I spine tap them against my knee or palm or side of the chair.

Sometimes the knives that seem to have super solid locks fail to my surprise. Weirder; locks with a little movement sometimes don’t fail at all.

G GTS9 I thought the guy in the video made a really interesting point at the end. That ZT knives come in at the price they do because they use the latest materials and technologies and look beautiful.

However seems Spyderco knives are actually better built in terms of integrity of the actual lock.

I’m shocked ZT hasn’t addressed this what with all their “It’s a real BEAST, Built like a tank!” The topic is widely circulating now.

Interesting, it’s definitely food for thought. I agree about ZT addressing these issues. Information circulating around concerning an unsafe safety feature on a product designed for cutting can be bad for ZT’s business.

I have a new 0450FCCZDP that the lock was failing on. It was never spine tapped. I sent it in to ZT for warranty work and it came back not much improved. Knife Center said they would take it back so I am looking it over this weekend and trying to decide what to do. If I flip it hard it locks.

The only thing I learned from this overcaffeinated video is not to hold a knife backwards and whack the spine swiftly and repeatedly against a surface until the lock fails. Any victims of ZT lock failure during the course of normal, sane use should chime in though.

The only thing I learned from this overcaffeinated video is not to hold a knife backwards and whack the spine swiftly and repeatedly against a surface until the lock fails. Any victims of ZT lock failure during the course of normal, sane use should chime in though.

Dude even though it may not be normal use for us, most ZTs are supposed to be tactical knives. That means they are supposed to be able to be pushed into self defense or unusual usage roles, particularly the Emerson ZTs.

That is a situtation where negative strikes to the spine are very likely to happen.

Now its true most of us won’t be using our ZTs for this. However if I buy a sports car that is supposed to go 300km/h but only can go 140 I wouldn’t be ok with it under the logic, “well, I’ll never really go 300.”

T Tommy-Chi imho a lock should work when opened slow and weak or fast and strong. If it only locks up if I open it one particular way that is an issue.

Saw the video subsequent to the thread b00n b00n is referencing. I tested all my ZT’s, none failed.

Admittedly, I didn’t whack the s#!¥ out of ‘em, but I hit them hard enough to be confident they won’t fail with reasonable use. I don’t dispute what the guy in the video experienced, but my personal experience is different and doesn't discourage me from wanting a 0609 (provided Kai ever gets the pivot tool to market).

Yeah, wow, all that dude's ZTs that he spinewhacks have lockrock? I'm glad he explains that that's from poor machining and he "can't make a knife have lock rock".
:rolleyes:
Dude you took the words right outa my mouth. I was gonna say the EXACT same thing. Not for nothing, but NONE of my ZT's have ever had a lock fail, and or slip, or have lock rock. I currently have a 0200, 2 x 0909's, and a 0566. All are solid. With that said I admit I have never spine whacked the piss out of them like the guy in the video.

I think he did create lock issues from spine whacking. He's hitting them hard. There's no way that many knives would have lock rock.
I don't spine whack but I always aggressively test for lock rock. I've owned a number of ZTs and none had lock rock.
And I'm no ZT fanboy. I don't own a single one now. I prefer other brands.

I've got quite a few ZTs, some of them have been used for years (mostly the 0300 which was my first) without issues.

However, I don't think titanium framelocks or linerlocks are really "hard use" knives and would reach for one of my Tri-Ad lock Cold Steels if I had to rely on a folder for that sort of work.

However, I don't think titanium framelocks or linerlocks are really "hard use" knives and would reach for one of my Tri-Ad lock Cold Steels if I had to rely on a folder for that sort of work.

Can't argue with that. I would never truly "trust" a liner or frame lock. If I had to expose my fingers to a lot of negative blade pressure, I would want Tri-Ad or a well-made deeply engaging back lock. Or maybe Spyderco's ball lock.

Dude even though it may not be normal use for us, most ZTs are supposed to be tactical knives. That means they are supposed to be able to be pushed into self defense or unusual usage roles, particularly the Emerson ZTs.

That is a situtation where negative strikes to the spine are very likely to happen.

Now its true most of us won’t be using our ZTs for this. However if I buy a sports car that is supposed to go 300km/h but only can go 140 I wouldn’t be ok with it under the logic, “well, I’ll never really go 300.”

T Tommy-Chi imho a lock should work when opened slow and weak or fast and strong. If it only locks up if I open it one particular way that is an issue.

Yes sir! I hate to get rid of this knife but if I value my hands it may be the only choice.

Nonetheless, I feel that ZT makes good knives....I just happened to get one that is off by a 64th of an inch. All of these locks operate on hair thin margins. What this has done to me mentally is force me to look at other locks and even fixed blades. I only have ten fingers and I intend to keep them all.

The two I’ve tried fail the 620 rather easily but on the 561 it’s harder to do there’s a very specific spot you gotta tap it for it to fold but I haven’t been able to recreate it in awhile.

Does it matter yes and no. If the idea of bad lock fitment annoys you it matters but if you’re just cutting stuff probably not

My 0909 fails ridiculously easy with very light tap on a roll of masking tape. Not taps, one easy tap it folds up. I can take a 3.80 cent linerlock from a box store whack the living dog crap out of it on a wooden bench no fail. Why I don't know and I also tried a framelock Kizer Duke on the tape no failures. I have a lot of ZTs and other nice knives and I'm not willing to tap all of them like that. Some of them are new and if I beat on them they're not.

With the stuff I've done with my ZT knives with no issues, I don't believe the easy closure videos.

Besides, when an issue is real, you get one of these:

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2015/53487r-eng.php

"Hazard identified
The locking mechanism can fail to hold the blade when excessive pressure is applied to the back of the blade, posing a laceration hazard.

Neither Health Canada nor Gerber Legendary Blades has received any reports of consumer incidents or injuries related to the use of this product in Canada.

Gerber Legendary Blades has received 6 reports of laceration injuries in the United States, two of which required stitches."

So when an actual safety hazard gets noticed, companies address it in order to avoid getting sued.
And governments even step in, to the point of this:

"Please note that the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act prohibits recalled products from being redistributed, sold or even given away in Canada."

The Zero Tolerance "issue" hasn't been addressed like this because (drumroll please) there is no issue. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back