Zero Tolerance vs. Cold Steel

Thank you my friend, I will check them out. I dont know why, I saw a ZT in a magazine, and have been addicted ever since. Absolutely the finest edged weapon Ive ever laid paws on. I too, like someone stated above, like the shape of the Black Sable. It looks like a knife you could just thrust into something and it will keep cutting. (based on the blade design kind od a wierd recurve-tanto)

if an edged weapon is what you want, and you can afford it, check out the mercworx seraphym
seraphym2.jpg

Another company that may merit looking at is the Surefire. They make some hardcore knives and use designs from makers like Steve Ryan. Good luck on your next knife purchase!!!

I've played with the Black Sable, ZTs & Striders. Regardless of the majority's opinions on Cold Steel, the Black Sable is a very nice knife that's of a very high quality. My problem is with Cold Steel's constant use of average steels and bringing the price WAY higher than the rest of the competition. Now, one reason for a higher price in the Black Sable is, the construction seems to be of a very high quality.

Striders are some of the toughest folders in their price range, and personally I'd go with the Strider. I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a test that showed that the Black Sable wasn't too far off in terms of toughness though. I think the Sable is overpriced, but not as overpriced as people tend to say, because of the high quality of the overall folder. The reason I won't get a Black Sable is the same reason I wouldn't get an SOG Arcitech or a Surefire Delta, they're nice, but over priced IMO.

Again, for me there's no comparison, Strider all day.

Since you have good taste in knives, I figured I'd throw the Ferrari (if that's how you spell it) of knives at you to see if you get hooked to these as well.

They are Chris Reeve Knives: http://www.chrisreeve.com/pffolding.htm

Now his knives are awsome and it's pretty tough to find one below $375.00

Let me know what you think, J.

How about some Kershaws? You should check out the Spec-Bump and the Offset! I think they'd compliment your ZTs quite well, they're made here in the USA, and the warranty is good for a lifetime, not just one year (Cold Steel's folder warranty).

Regards,
3G

I've owned a wagon-full of Cold Steel knives through the years, most of them were pretty good knives, but I'm sold on the Zero Tolerance (ZT) line of knives. One of my two EDC knives is a ZT 0200 (I have a pair of 'em), my other EDC knife is a Kershaw Groove (I also have a pair of those).

I am a big fan of ZT. I have owned an 0500 and just ordered my 2nd 0300. I wanted to try another Cold Steel so I got a Hatamoto. It is one of their higher end blades. I really like the knife alot. The blade is polished perfectly and nice materials are used. It is a very nice knife, but unfortuately no where near as high of a build quality as ZT. I do not have any experience with Strider, but they do have a great reputation. So if I had to choose I would not buy another Cold Steel as I feel there are better knives for the price.

2manyblades...Welcome!!!

Don't take any offense from the posts. It's just that whenever the words "Strider" and "Cold Steel" are used in the same post, it is akin to the U.S. and the Soviet Union pressing their respective red buttons thus hasting the onset of Armageddon.

I would take any ZT Product over a similar Cold Steel product. Not only do I think they are better made, but it's nice to know some of the money goes to help paralyzed veterans.

As for the Black Sable, I'd just save up a bit more & get the actual knife Cold Steel copied by Brian Tighe.

Thanks guys, once again, thats why I asked the question....cause I dint know. I personally have never laid paws on a Cold Steel, after the bashing they took from some of the people that replied, I dont know if I ever will. I just think, sometimes, people are a little harsh especially on the Newbie, go easy guys I like the same stuff you like.

Back