ZT 550 now with deep carry clip?

Bought the old 550 with the internal cutout while the price was discounted. Don't much need a deep carry clip and the internal cutout is fine by me. I like the more aggressive detent.

Interesting to see that KAI still can't quite decide how they want to mill their lock-bars... Hmmmm.

Just to be clear, the one I was gifted from Thomas does not look like the one I bought from Dave (Kershawguy) either. Who knows at what point Thomas took one off the production floor, but no matter the differences, since it's from Thomas it's a keeper. The more pics of the new version that start getting posted should eventually show whether or not there were more like the one in my pic.

Can anyone with the new version give there thoughts on the detent , the old one i had was very hard to open .

Just to be clear, the one I was gifted from Thomas does not look like the one I bought from Dave (Kershawguy) either. Who knows at what point Thomas took one off the production floor, but no matter the differences, since it's from Thomas it's a keeper. The more pics of the new version that start getting posted should eventually show whether or not there were more like the one in my pic.

Yeah, good point. It is just interesting that the 560 seemed to go through at least 3 different milling/design styles, and 550 and new 550 seems to be headed the same way. And now even adding inside milled vs. outside milled.

Not that I'm criticizing. I don't think it really matters either way, other than aesthetics.

Can anyone with the new version give there thoughts on the detent , the old one i had was very hard to open .

All of mine have felt about the same. Good [brand new] knife detent that eases slightly after flipping a while, like my 0551 user. No hard detent or trouble opening on mine, knock on wood.

Yeah, good point. It is just interesting that the 560 seemed to go through at least 3 different milling/design styles, and 550 and new 550 seems to be headed the same way. And now even adding inside milled vs. outside milled.

Not that I'm criticizing. I don't think it really matters either way, other than aesthetics.

If there are any more "versions" though, I'll probably buy that one too haha! :D

Last edited:

I have an old 550, that I sent in for for vertical blade play. They returned it to me with a new Ti side, and it was the new version w/ deep carry clip etc. The detent was pretty strong before, but with the new version it is a lot weaker. I can actually make the blade come out using gravity only. Not sure if that is standard though, and mine was already broken in. I have heard though that weaker detent was planned for this new model. I have a 551 too with the strong detent, and prefer this new version. I'll likely pick up another.

I have an old 550, that I sent in for for vertical blade play. They returned it to me with a new Ti side, and it was the new version w/ deep carry clip etc. The detent was pretty strong before, but with the new version it is a lot weaker. I can actually make the blade come out using gravity only. Not sure if that is standard though, and mine was already broken in. I have heard though that weaker detent was planned for this new model. I have a 551 too with the strong detent, and prefer this new version. I'll likely pick up another.

I have one in service right now, and have confirmed that they'll be sending it back with the new pocket clip Ti side as well. I'll be doing a comparison with another older ZT 0550 I have.

The one I sent it was brand new (tried removing the scale and the screws were stripped out) and the detent wasn't at all "broken in." It will be an interesting comparison.

Awesome. Mine has up and down blade play, this will be a perfect time to send to send it in. Should I put my oe scale on or leave my hinderer on?

Recieved this in the mail today thanks to Dave (Kershaw Guy) i was so excited to try this knife again, the one i bought a year ago was really hard to open but this is 100% spot on.It flies open with a flick of the thumb detent is perfect you can even flip it open with your finger from underneath .Opening and closing the blade is so smooth its like the Tilt , once the blade is open it takes very little force to move the frame lock over to unlock it . thanks ZT

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

Last edited:
Ok iv changed my mind on this knife. I hated it at first but after seeing a side by side video comparison, m sold. Im totally getting one and putting an awesome scale on it............and swapping my 551 elmax blade into it.:eek:

Ok iv changed my mind on this knife. I hated it at first but after seeing a side by side video comparison, m sold. Im totally getting one and putting an awesome scale on it............and swapping my 551 elmax blade into it.:eek:

What will that leave besides the clip? :D

Question to those who have both -- does reversing the cutout have anything to do with whether or not the knife opens or closes more smoothly?

My 551 opens super smooth and i cant swing it out with gravity. Once you overcome the strong detent it flies open. I think most of the problems or complaints about the old style 551/550 not being smooth are because people dont like the strong detent because it hurts thier thumb. Im sure there are some real problem cases but i think most of them are expecting ZT knives to open like benchmades.

I heard the reverse cutout makes the lockbar easier to move which probably means less pressure on the blade when closed and a softer detent.

Ok, so...the lock-bar cutout and the deep carry clip. Are there any other 'improvements' or is that it? The reason I ask is I just received a 0550 from a seller on a certain internet auction site, and it was supposed to be the "new" version. As it turns out, it's the "old" version but aside from the fact that the blade is not 'top dead center' it's actually a nice knife. It's my first 0550 and I'm wondering now, do I send it back for the 'new' version? Actually, the off-center blade bugs me enough that it's going back anyhow, but back to the question...Can someone please give a description of what is new besides the cut-out and clip?.

Last edited:
got my 550 back today in the mail from zt. it's still in good old ti lock side with laser cut lock bar :D

Ok, so...the lock-bar cutout and the deep carry clip. Are there any other 'improvements' or is that it? The reason I ask is I just received a 0550 from a seller on a certain internet auction site, and it was supposed to be the "new" version. As it turns out, it's the "old" version but aside from the fact that the blade is not 'top dead center' it's actually a nice knife. It's my first 0550 and I'm wondering now, do I send it back for the 'new' version? Actually, the off-center blade bugs me enough that it's going back anyhow, but back to the question...Can someone please give a description of what is new besides the cut-out and clip?.

No other changes.

The old ones are selling for a lot less than the new ones with the changes. So if you paid full price I suggest you send it back for the latest production or get a refund and buy the old style for less money.

My original was tight at first, as many FL's are, and needed breaking in. It works fine now.

These are quite a bargain at closeout prices. Each style clip has its own advantages and I don't rate one better than the other -- just different.

If you like the original clip, get one before they are gone.......

(My recommendation would be different if ZT were to come out with a slimmer version, which doesn't seem likely.)

OK - as previously reported, ZT's Warranty Service Dept. just sent back my 0550 and replaced the Ti side with the new deep carry pocket clip design:

1BA2FFA7-98CD-4D1A-A128-282556EFC015-26617-000018C3DF6719FC.jpg

I haven't seen this really discussed before, so forgive me is this has already been mentioned. I was surprised to see that the G10 side of the knife still has horizontal screw holes for the old-style pocket clip as opposed to vertically aligned screw holes which correspond to the new deep carry pocket clip. The deep carry clip is not reversible.

97576249-505E-4C65-979B-5A5E4CEA9E85-26617-000018C3E65E801C.jpg

ZT says they are including both old and new versions of the pocket clip in the production version packaging.

If you were thinking (like I did) that handle scales made for the old-style 0550/1 wouldn't fit the new versions, rest assured they will. Now if we can only get some new scales out there in the market....

Back