So the 4 max really does not take no for an answer? Anything on the tan US one vs the grey Italian one?
I have the Italian version. From what I understand? There is very little in terms of quality difference, and the ones from Italy have better edges, however slightly worse G10 texturing.

I have never handled a folder as overbuilt as my AD-10
It feels like there is enough material used in its construction to build two or three knives
Plus the triad lock is extremely robust.

Man I want one of those ! Nice steel brudda!!

Crusader Forge FIFP in 3v

Attachments

• F804CE50-03B2-4FEB-8A5F-A0A0B21C617B.jpeg
    F804CE50-03B2-4FEB-8A5F-A0A0B21C617B.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 16
If you're asking for the toughest folder and the answer doesn't involve the Tri-Ad lock, in my opinion you're not giving the best answers.

Cold Steel Recon 1, SR1, 4-Max.

If money is of no concern then an AD10 or 4Max from the man himself is probably as strong as it gets without being a fixed blade.

Mind you, for my EDC I almost always carry some sort of TI Framelock, but if I had to go to hell and back with a folder I'd take my AD-10 every single day of the week.

What the hell, here's a picture of my own AD10 :)
20180225_160448hns3w.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing some spydercos in here.... I'm assuming those aren't the frn or .5mm thick liners on those models like the other 95% of spydercos lineup. Never thought I'd see spyderco and tough in the same sentence.

I was the guy who made that thread and have decided to buy a custom knife built to my specs from greg lightfoot.

You can't bring up hard use/overbuilt without talking about the ZT 0301. Also the ZT 0560/0550 are also great hard use knives, as you mentioned a picture of @stabman taking down a tree with a medford, he has also done that with a ZT, I cannot remember if it was a 0550 or 0560.

If they would only remove the recurve on the Satu, I'd own one. I just suck at sharpening. Perhaps they're saying the same thing about me: "If that guy would just learn how to sharpen a damned knife, he could own one of ours".

Get yourself a spyderco sharpmaker! Syper easy to sharpen a recurve with that.

I personally like folders of any type that use the same construction layout as the production Strider folders. In that I mean One side g10 (or cf) and the other Ti. I think that can provide a plenty strong construction and a liner under the g10 is not necessary.

Of course double Ti is plenty strong too. Something about certain folders makes them feel very tough too. The grind on my Emerson cqc7s mean the tip can be used for moderate prying without worrying about snapping it. At the same time the chisel grind is superb for getting sharp.

That said two seriously beastly looking folders which I do not own but have always looked at and thought “damn that looks sturdy” is the Grayman Satu and TSF Beast.

Satu
209-2.jpg

TSF Beast
tsf-beast-clip-point-large.jpg

Idk why but something about these knives makes me imagine they are super sturdy.

Here are some tough knives I do own. Lionsteel Sr1a and Buck CSAR

klZZ0cG.jpg

The Szabo is a pretty beastly knife.
X3uTcZY.jpg

I have the collab brother the Lionspy too seen here with another italian knife, Extrema Ratio m1a1 a SAK that never skips leg day.
gsvYFTr.jpg

I like that dog! Boy, he is a pretty color. I bet he is smart.

If you're asking for the toughest folder and the answer doesn't involve the Tri-Ad lock, in my opinion you're not giving the best answers.

Cold Steel Recon 1, SR1, 4-Max.

If money is of no concern then an AD10 or 4Max from the man himself is probably as strong as it gets without being a fixed blade.

Mind you, for my EDC I almost always carry some sort of TI Framelock, but if I had to go to hell and back with a folder I'd take my AD-10 every single day of the week.

What the hell, here's a picture of my own AD10 :)
20180225_160448hns3w.jpg
Very nice!!
What's the steel?

I use my knives hard and my Cold Steel Recon 1 and ZT0620 are absolutely beastly.

Benchmade Adamas and the Cold Steel 4Max are other crazy overbuilt knives.

Back