2017 John White MS Memorial BEST BOWIE Thread - Vote for FINALISTS!!

Another generous Knife Rights donation to be presented to Texas Governor Abbott on January 30th.

#1 Apprentice Smith Jason Fry's Texas Heritage Bowie Full details at: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/texas-heritage-bowie.1539233/#post-17681387

Jason_Fry_Bowie_5_1600w.jpg

Jason_Fry_Bowie_4_1600w.jpg

Also, I won't post it again, but Master Smith James L. Rodebaugh's Southwest Bowie that is #5 in the OP's post was also a 2017 Ultimate Steel donation.

Last edited:
The first Julien Antunes piece is incredible. Inspirational. :thumbsup::cool::eek: (Post #20.)

I love this thread, there are already stunning knives on show and I'm sure many more to follow, but that CAS/Sam Lurquin collaboration is insane. I would like to put two Bowies forward that I made this year. I look forward to the voting and I would like to wish everyone the best of luck.

Steve

1. I made this Bowie with a D. Lisch style Split Ring Guard earlier this year.

2. This D-Guard was only completed a couple of weeks back.

Thanks to Roger and Lorien for again putting together the best thread of the year.

All the Bowies that I can remember blowing my mind this year have already been mentioned so I will offer one of my own. This W2 and Koa Bowie was the only Bowie I made this year. I like its simplicity and the fact that it is very well balanced and quick in the hand.

4VyhOGc.jpg

vdgpOqg.jpg

wcKx0AI.jpg

UoQx6dE.jpg

NyDzcR3.jpg

That Steve Filicietti piece below is incredible.

Last edited:
Thanks once again for this awesome thread guys!!I made a few this year that meet the criteria, the one Roger put up was one of my favorites, here are the rest!

#1 First up is another bear jaw bowie, this time withe an arrowhead/feather combo guard.

xlarge.jpg

#2 Next is a big boy, 12' blade and a walrus ivory handle with scrim by Linda Karst Stone.

xlarge.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

#3 Another one with walrus and Linda's scrim

xlarge.jpg

#4 Another big one with a 12" blade and some beautiful blue/cream faceted mammoth ivory scales

xlarge.jpg

#5 This one has an 11" blade with weathered barn oak scales and was my first attemt at a guard like this!

xlarge.jpg

#6 A D guard Bowie with the blade steel being forged by Logan Pearce for me.

xlarge.jpg

#7 Last is this bear jaw guardless bowie shot for me this year at Blade by Coop!!

xlarge.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to Roger and Lorien for again putting together the best thread of the year.

All the Bowies that I can remember blowing my mind this year have already been mentioned so I will offer one of my own. This W2 and Koa Bowie was the only Bowie I made this year. I like its simplicity and the fact that it is very well balanced and quick in the hand.

That is just a rock solid piece - terrific execution.

Great submissions all - enjoying the heck out of them!

in keeping with the loose definition of a Bowie knife as being large and assymetrical, Stuart Branson delivers a fusion piece;

cOfJ2IC.jpg

My favorite thread of the year

I did receive one exception piece that means a lot to me and that is The Lurquin Hybrid Maximus Two Finger Subhilt Fighting Bowie

This piece is a departure from my norm but it is a sculpted masterpiece that Sam is telling me takes him much more time than a conventional blade

I would consider it more of a Fighting Bowie than anything else

So my sole entry this year is

1) Sam Lurquin Maximus Hybrid Two Finger Subhilt Fighting Bowie

Just watched the vid. Total awesomeness bro.

Back