2017 Summer Kitchen KITH.

I've got about 100 knives awaiting HT right now, the deadline came a lot faster than expected. Making enough knives to keep the bills paid got in the way...
I'll try to get one done in time, just don't count on it. Might use a different steel to avoid cryo...
Sorry. I thought that you were saying that we were even worse than a waste of oxygen. :D

Haha, so I'll just hand over my knife to myself and the kith is over. :D
Not so fast! I'm well on track for being done in time. I'm gluing up the first part of the handle tonight, and should be shaping it before the weekend. This might end up being my first time to ship an international package though!

I may have to drop out. I've got a batch out to HT now and haven't heard a word on their return yet. :\

I am thinking that time will run out on me, too. I have dozens of HTed blades to pick from, but with the weather so bad and there have been so many things that get in the way, I don't see me having one ready in two weeks.

Hello all. Here're the paring knives I was thinking of, made from scraps of prior billets. The top one is O1/15N20 and the bottom one is 1080/15N20 (if I remember correctly).
UZ8R1A7.jpg

It looks like I need to do a bit more sanding on the top one, and the plunge line isn't very crisp.
The twist pattern has some grooves on the spine where I didn't get the corners quite welded during the twist, and on small one on the edge of the blade.
I think that disqualifies them from the KITH. I'm not out yet, but time is getting short to finish the other 2 as I need to start forging bottle openers and other products for the Western Washington Fair in a few weeks...

Let me know what you think.

as always
peace and love
~billyO

Last edited:
It's looking like I'm going to have to back out. I've been busy finishing a wedding present for a very important friend (The one who initially taught me how to make knives) and just as I was getting ready to start my KITH knife, the drive shaft on my grinder split apart on me (second drive shaft in two months...). Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to have the time to get it done, but hopefully I'll have better luck next year. Good luck to everyone who's still in it!

-Tanner

Hello again, all. As I don't feel that the paring knives aren't up to the quality for this exchange, here are the other 2 options I was thinking of.

6TOLH3e.jpg

Let me know which one would be a better choice.

Thanks

as always
peace and love
~billyO

Hello again, all. As I don't feel that the paring knives aren't up to the quality for this exchange, here are the other 2 options I was thinking of.

6TOLH3e.jpg

Let me know which one would be a better choice.

Thanks

as always
peace and love
~billyO

I think the bottom one is more versatile.

I hope I'm not being a PITA here, but...

I was testing the edge today by cutting up some apples for a cobbler, and after I cut up about 15, when I went to rinse and dry the blade, I noticed that it was already starting to tarnish (it's 15N20, not stainless). It came off with a bit of scrubbing with the kitchen sponge, but I'm not sure I want to give this to someone I don't know as a 'trade'. (I'm OK with that feature on a Damascus billet, but not on a monosteel knife).

What do y'all think?

weo, I prefer either of those 'paring knives' you showed greatly over the other two!
Just saying......

That's flat out beautiful Alaskan Hunter!
Awesome job on the distal taper man!!!
Thanks! I gotta admit, it might be a bit selfish, but I'm hoping that one of the Knifemakers get it so I can get a detailed assessment of where I'm at with my skills. Oh, and I think what you are seeing is the bevels on the blade. It's a full flat plungeless grind, and the blade is facing up in the picture.

EMysEOy.jpg

very nice looking knives. I am going to glue up tonight after dinner. I will post pics a little later

Back