2019/2020 winter kith

RtK2QZZ.jpg

yUQDHSc.jpg

h85PHxP.jpg

E6btRTS.jpg

That's a wrap...

Dang that’s sexy Dustin. I’m off to make the sheath probably going to go with leather for this one.

Thanks Dustin will sharpen it up and it’s ready to see it’s new home

Thanks Dustin will sharpen it up and it’s ready to see it’s new home

I was going to ask, do we know who all is still in and when we're drawing names / how that works?

Generally speaking, the person running the kith will randomly draw pairs of names after the deadline passes. In this case April 12.

After that everyone who has posted a "I'm done" post will be put into the drawing to see who they will ship their finished minute to.

Generally speaking, the person running the kith will randomly draw pairs of names after the deadline passes. In this case April 12.

After that everyone who has posted a "I'm done" post will be put into the drawing to see who they will ship their finished minute to.

So the swap happens where you get each others knives? Can’t wait for the draw.

The KITH should be able helping each other to grow. Make sure to post pics when you receive knives and if the person is willing post the comments of the good and bad about the knives. If there is something that would make someone look bad say it as nicely as possible and in private. Remember that there is going to be a gap in skill levels and you are very likely to get a knife that is not as nice as what you built. Don't feel disappointed we all had to start somewhere. @Willie71 has been running these for some time and generously often rigs the drawing so that he receives the roughest knife. This is especially generous since that person gets some fantastic feedback from a great knife maker. Do try to give good feedback. I have been disappointed in the past when getting a bit of a rough knife and also only a thanks for the knife that I sent out. Thanks is great but we are hoping to grow while doing these. If you don't feel comfortable with your own experience levels when trying to give feedback ask someone to help you examine the knife. A follow up review with some test if geometry and edge retention will be valuable to both you and the maker as well. Be sure to post those completion pics and also when you receive the knife. This is the exciting part. The completion pics are also helpful in getting larger numbers of people to participate. It is hard to spend hours on a knife when you both will not get a knife in the same quality range and will not get feedback. More pics will help more people to want to participate. It looks like there will be some nice blades in this KITH. I wish I had more time to finish a blade. Good luck to all and hopefully I will catch you on the next one.

Great post. ^ I am going to do the drawing once the deadline is up. I will list out everyone's name on the list randomizer at random.org
Ill send out the shipping address to who's ever name is underneath yours, the last person on list will send it to the first.

Last time I did this i video taped the list generator and posted to youtube, but several people said the would prefer it to be a surprise. I agree, so this time It will be a surprise, you wont know what knife you are getting until you get it.

I suppose its time for me to create a new thread where you post that you are complete.

Here is my submission to the kith. I've taken the theme of utility knives into the kitchen. This is a 158mm petty knife. It's ground from 0.084" (2.1mm) AEB-L with a moderate distal taper, a mostly flat grind but with subtle convexing behind the edge. I finished the blade longitudinally on a very fine scotch brite belt to give a satin finish. This is my favorite finish for a knife that I intend to use a lot because it hides scratches and is very easy to touch up. I made a 125mm long wa handle out of stabilized black line maple burl with an ebony ferrule, finished with tru oil.

Back