1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Attention 2019 Forum Knife : Poll - Smooth Wood

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Mar 8, 2019.

Smooth Wood

Poll closed Mar 14, 2019.
  1. African Blackwood

152 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Bocote

6 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Bloodwood

30 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. Ebony

6 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Kingwood

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. Jobillo

5 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. Desert Ironwood

149 vote(s)
    40.3%
  8. Osage Orange

17 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. Cocobolo

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. Che Chen

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Meako - too good! You deserve extra votes for that amazing detective work.

No idea what that wood is but the local council have done the foreshore up really well with nice hardwoods everywhere the eye can see, and lots of nautical-themed timber structures, tables and so on. Somewhat ironic to see all that beautiful wood given the way this poll is going!

Prester John and meako like this.
  2. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    This ^

3. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Done! I replaced the images in my last post :) Let me know if they need to be smaller :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. DelOro

DelOro Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Mrs. Oro often refers to me as a blockhead.

Must be some kind of wood out there that's extremely dense?

[​IMG]

She won't tell me what kind!

- Del

5. H2O2HI

H2O2HI Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Actually, If the old-timers remember the porch was made of Desert Ironwood.

Also it is a scientific fact by polling nationwide that Desert Ironwood is preferred by 97.6%

Ramrodmb, meako and mitch4ging like this.
  6. draggat

draggat Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    That AB just oozes class. Kind of like a well tailored tuxedo.

I don’t have much comment on the bloodwood but I’d say it doesn’t darken as quick as Jobillo.... Jobillo darkens a heck of a lot faster than just about any other wood I’ve seen.

That ironwood mock up is beautiful, but very few would look quite that good. I much prefer the burl, but striped seems to be the majority.

I’m actually okay with the top 3, but AB is classiest.

Varnished with sweat and tears! ;)

7. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Ahhh
    E5517436-95F7-49E3-91CA-85DF8F975D1D.jpeg

TFBraden, Camillus, waverave and 13 others like this.
  8. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Wonderful! So weird it's behind others in this poll. Rarely used and so rich looking :thumbsup:

redsparrow and cigarrodog like this.
  9. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Ebony is my choice of cover material this year, not to be different but to be best, for this knife.
    Different for the sake of difference usually is not prudent. I have a relative like that.;):D
    Bloodwood, IMO is less attractive than either ironwood or cocobolo, which rules it out for me. Ironwood is an absolute favorite of mine. It is highly ornate but it also varies substantially from piece to piece. So to keep from being disappointed I choose ironwood for a knife cover, only when it can be individually selected (much like stag). Hand picking is not possible with Forum Knives. Cocobolo would have been my second choice but it's a very long shot. So for these reasons I voted ebony/AB when choosing between the cover choices available, YMMV.

10. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Nice picture of some nice knives but my eyes are drawn to the Desert Ironwood . Those handles have Character and there will not be another knife that will look exactly like it . All of the others , though nice , are like the Bridesmaids at a wedding .

Harry

meako, Prester John, Ramrodmb and 6 others like this.
  11. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    So are we going for iron wood now? I just wanna beat out some black wood....

12. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    2019_BF_ironwood_reverse_orleans_mini.jpg rsawcQ5.jpg

Coyja likes this.
  13. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    This is a perfect photo to show the top contenders all side by side. Thanks for sharing it. To me, the Cocobolo and Ironwood really stand out, and I love the blackwood. In my opinion, the bloodwood is the least attractive of this group. I'm struggling to see why bloodwood has such a huge following compared to cocobolo or ironwood.

14. PaulS.

PaulS.

Jul 16, 2018
    My first choice was ironwood, but I don't care for a brushed bolster and shield. I voted for bloodwood because of this, but recent posts swayed me to ironwood. If I really want a polished bolster and shield, I can do it myself.

15. Jathes

Jathes Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2016
    I'd like to see jobillo surge. Unfortunately, it is in the category with ironwood and osage orange as far as bolster finish.

abbydaddy likes this.
  16. Coyja

Coyja Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I think what is missing so far is a true discussion of beauty.

From my, albeit subjective, opinion:

-Blackwood: Black oozes class, there might be some nice grain fluctuations for some. Otherwise, I’m not hearing much to sway me.

-Bloodwood: “Might darken with age” is a really poor argument, imo. It’s reddish, which is cool, but not really enough to be dramatic, and the grain does not differentiate itself much from average mahogany if you as me.

-Desert ironwood: dramatic and full of grain of you’re lucky, dark an mysterious of you’re not. It’s a dice roll but if you win you win big. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Basically every wood in the poll has strong points, but amongst all of them, desert ironwood has the greatest potential for drama, and if we are shooting for the moon we ought to take that chance.

It is, after all, likely to wear the Orleans should, is it not? Would be a shame to go for black for the sake of black or red cause it’s mildlt different but will also be pretty universally average across the spread of offerings. I’d rather see everyone offering up pics of their unusual DI, including the ones that are inevitably not going to be remarkable, than a hundred pics of the same knife over and over.

Ironwood FTW.

17. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Wow, ironwood just passed bloodwood. I voted AB but would happily vote ironwood to beat out bloodwood.

18. draggat

draggat Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    What’s all this talk about brushed bolsters and shields with ironwood? This isn’t the first comment I’ve seen of it here....

This one sure isn’t brushed, and it came from GEC this way-
    [​IMG]

I’ve personally worked with ironwood. It will polish up very nice!

meako, gotgoat, Camillus and 3 others like this.
  19. TX180SX

TX180SX Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I voted ironwood, bloodwood looks plain to me. I could be swayed to AB perhaps.....I think I need more pics though. ;)

Prester John likes this.
  20. H2O2HI

H2O2HI Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Ode to Ironwood

So happy to see the votes trending
    In a direction most elegant too
    If it reverses, the very good voters
    Sad, with faces so blue

Ironwood lowers unemployment, causes love to erupt
    Makes tires run longer, causes stocks to go up
    Truth will reign, honesty here, great food we will sup
    Snacks will taste better, wives happy, beer will foam up

Porch denizens cheer, Ironwood’s here
    The unique grain is much better than beer
    The coloring exquisite so beautiful dear
    To vote for other is never to fear

We must help Ironwood prevail
    to banish unhappiness in valley and vale!
    We must help our porch friends choose wisely no mistake
    To not choose Ironwood is a mixup, the others are fake!

Lets all give a hale! We’ll cry in our ale! Check’s in the mail!

meako, Coyja, Night Rider and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.