• Cocobolo

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Che Chen

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meako - too good! You deserve extra votes for that amazing detective work.

No idea what that wood is but the local council have done the foreshore up really well with nice hardwoods everywhere the eye can see, and lots of nautical-themed timber structures, tables and so on. Somewhat ironic to see all that beautiful wood given the way this poll is going!

GO BLOODWOOD!!!

rsawcQ5.jpg

Ebony is common and boring. Now a days it's the Wallflower at the dance.
This ^

Looks like it is going to be african blackwood, bloodwood or desert ironwood. AB is in the lead at the moment but who knows. I am excited for any of those and hope I get a good example when that time comes.
Also looks like the orleans shield is running away with that poll. So here are the three materials with orleans and reverse orleans.

Edit - shield size adjusted
View attachment 1088477
View attachment 1088478

View attachment 1088479
View attachment 1088480

View attachment 1088481
View attachment 1088482

That AB just oozes class. Kind of like a well tailored tuxedo.

I don’t have much comment on the bloodwood but I’d say it doesn’t darken as quick as Jobillo.... Jobillo darkens a heck of a lot faster than just about any other wood I’ve seen.

That ironwood mock up is beautiful, but very few would look quite that good. I much prefer the burl, but striped seems to be the majority.

I’m actually okay with the top 3, but AB is classiest.

My House is made out of Bloodwood :)

:p

Varnished with sweat and tears! ;)

Ebony is my choice of cover material this year, not to be different but to be best, for this knife.
Different for the sake of difference usually is not prudent. I have a relative like that.;):D
Bloodwood, IMO is less attractive than either ironwood or cocobolo, which rules it out for me. Ironwood is an absolute favorite of mine. It is highly ornate but it also varies substantially from piece to piece. So to keep from being disappointed I choose ironwood for a knife cover, only when it can be individually selected (much like stag). Hand picking is not possible with Forum Knives. Cocobolo would have been my second choice but it's a very long shot. So for these reasons I voted ebony/AB when choosing between the cover choices available, YMMV.

Ebony and African Blackwood have always been considered to be two of the most special woods. Valuable not just for the desirable color but it is a durable and stable wood, which means less cracking and chipping when compared to other woods. It's been a favorite material by knife makers for thousands of years, for very good reason.
7AwctQm.jpg
unedited photo
L to R Cocobolo, African Blackwood, Desert Ironwood, Bloodwood, Osage Orange​
Nice picture of some nice knives but my eyes are drawn to the Desert Ironwood . Those handles have Character and there will not be another knife that will look exactly like it . All of the others , though nice , are like the Bridesmaids at a wedding .

Harry

Ebony and African Blackwood have always been considered to be two of the most special woods. Valuable not just for the desirable color but it is a durable and stable wood, which means less cracking and chipping when compared to other woods. It's been a favorite material by knife makers for thousands of years, for very good reason.
7AwctQm.jpg
unedited photo
L to R Cocobolo, African Blackwood, Desert Ironwood, Bloodwood, Osage Orange​

This is a perfect photo to show the top contenders all side by side. Thanks for sharing it. To me, the Cocobolo and Ironwood really stand out, and I love the blackwood. In my opinion, the bloodwood is the least attractive of this group. I'm struggling to see why bloodwood has such a huge following compared to cocobolo or ironwood.

I've got to say, I'm having trouble deciding. I was leaning toward the bloodwood, because I read that it will darken with age, but now I'm reading reports of it staying quite red for a long time. :( I really want something with more interesting grain than ebony, but less figured grain than ironwood (and the brushed finish doesn't appeal to me). Maybe jobillo could suddenly gain some momentum...o_O
I'd like to see jobillo surge. Unfortunately, it is in the category with ironwood and osage orange as far as bolster finish.

I think what is missing so far is a true discussion of beauty.

From my, albeit subjective, opinion:

-Blackwood: Black oozes class, there might be some nice grain fluctuations for some. Otherwise, I’m not hearing much to sway me.

-Bloodwood: “Might darken with age” is a really poor argument, imo. It’s reddish, which is cool, but not really enough to be dramatic, and the grain does not differentiate itself much from average mahogany if you as me.

-Desert ironwood: dramatic and full of grain of you’re lucky, dark an mysterious of you’re not. It’s a dice roll but if you win you win big. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Basically every wood in the poll has strong points, but amongst all of them, desert ironwood has the greatest potential for drama, and if we are shooting for the moon we ought to take that chance.

It is, after all, likely to wear the Orleans should, is it not? Would be a shame to go for black for the sake of black or red cause it’s mildlt different but will also be pretty universally average across the spread of offerings. I’d rather see everyone offering up pics of their unusual DI, including the ones that are inevitably not going to be remarkable, than a hundred pics of the same knife over and over.

Ironwood FTW.

My first choice was ironwood, but I don't care for a brushed bolster and shield. I voted for bloodwood because of this, but recent posts swayed me to ironwood. If I really want a polished bolster and shield, I can do it myself.

What’s all this talk about brushed bolsters and shields with ironwood? This isn’t the first comment I’ve seen of it here....

This one sure isn’t brushed, and it came from GEC this way-
2ytxqaf.jpg

I’ve personally worked with ironwood. It will polish up very nice!

I voted ironwood, bloodwood looks plain to me. I could be swayed to AB perhaps.....I think I need more pics though. ;)

Ode to Ironwood

So happy to see the votes trending
In a direction most elegant too
If it reverses, the very good voters
Sad, with faces so blue

Ironwood lowers unemployment, causes love to erupt
Makes tires run longer, causes stocks to go up
Truth will reign, honesty here, great food we will sup
Snacks will taste better, wives happy, beer will foam up

Porch denizens cheer, Ironwood’s here
The unique grain is much better than beer
The coloring exquisite so beautiful dear
To vote for other is never to fear

We must help Ironwood prevail
to banish unhappiness in valley and vale!
We must help our porch friends choose wisely no mistake
To not choose Ironwood is a mixup, the others are fake!

Lets all give a hale! We’ll cry in our ale! Check’s in the mail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back