Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Che Chen

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this is some exciting stuff.

Home Depot Pressure Treated Fir 2x6. Sorta like Osage Orange with slots stamped in it.

jbUSJHD.jpg

Come on Jobillo! You're picking up speed! Two new votes, now we're only 59 votes behind the leader! There are 5 days laft. We can do this! ;)

Here is an example of an IRONWOOD COLLECTIVE - borrowed from @Jack Black without permission. o_O I think he will be OK with it. My intentions are good. Presented here so we can see and appreciate the range of grain and color of any one wood species on multiple knife scales.

These are the 2019 Guardian Lamb Foot knives - so a good example of a special batch variation.
The marks sides are invariably quite different than the pile sides and some of the close ups show wood that still needs some polishing. Altogether a very nice selection but no one gets the perfect knife.

Wood is wood.

Ray

ChgU8Ck.jpg

Great picture, thank you. I'm seeing multiple posts, mostly from the same couple people, that Bloodwood darkens over time. None of my Bloodwood has darkened. I have several Bloodwood GEC knives. I have one that's been a user for four years. It pretty much has the same appearance. Amazing wood - I love Bloodwood, but in my opinion there's better choices from what we have available for this specific knife. Anyway, since you posted this picture I'm wondering if your Bloodwood changed color over time?
CBR, my experience with Bloodwood is limited to two knives but neither have shown any sign of darkening in the 3-5 years that I have had them. B-wood may very well darken, eventually. If I have to wait 10-20 years for a cover to look the way I want it to, I'll select a wood that I can enjoy now. I'm voting Ebony but if I wanted a dark brown cover on this year's FK I prefer Cocobolo, Che Chen or Desert Ironwood (in that order). They are all quite attractive, looking more lively than b-wood and will only improve with age.
Ebony or AB are the classic traditional woods and IMO are best suited for this year's Forum Knife due to their aesthetics and functionality.

I prefer Bloodwood over ironwood for this knife because I think the polished shield and bolsters will look better over the brushed finish the ironwood requires.
That is something to keep in mind... I almost forgot about that. Thanks!

I just don't get how ebony or African black wood separates this knife or makes it special. We've had an ebony knife before as a forum knife. I remember the past two years people voting because they wanted something different. Ebony and black wood are not different in my opinion. Bloodwood, ironwood or any other knife that shows grain will set this knife apart. Grains separate knives and make them different from each other.
rsawcQ5.jpg
XYh36pC.jpg

I just don't get how ebony or African black wood separates this knife or makes it special. We've had an ebony knife before as a forum knife. I remember the past two years people voting because they wanted something different. Ebony and black wood are not different in my opinion. Bloodwood, ironwood or any other knife that shows grain will set this knife apart. Grains separate knives and make them different from each other.
View attachment 1088367
View attachment 1088368
Agreed. GO TO THE GRAIN! A speacial knife needs a special material.

View attachment 1088367
View attachment 1088368
I respect your opinion, Taylor, but we have different preferences. ;)

The nimble ship carved through waves.
The stench and clamour of the noisy dockside replaced by fresh ocean air and the cry of gulls.
Centurion Meako Stultus Cyrtae pulled his woollen cloak about his shoulders and hunched over his bowl of mutton stew.
A sheep's trotter bobbed to the surface of the gruel. The Centurion greedily slurped it up with a spoon and began to suck the tasty marrow from the hoof. "Yeeeowwchhha" he exclaimed as the razor sharp edge of carotin bit into his tongue...he removed the offending morsel and regarded it closely.
"A Sheep toe is like a blade?" he murmured turning it in his fingers in the light of the rising moon.
He pocketed the thoughts as his orderly Mekus's characteristic and somewhat irritatingly predictable "shave and a haircut two sesterce" knock, was drummed on the cabin door. "I'll give that idiot shave and a haircut....For Nothing!" growled the Centurion deftly making slicing motions in air with the sheeps trotter.It was after all razor sharp,the taste of blood attested to that. An idea was forming but it would have to wait...
"Enter, dolt."
The cabin door creaked open and Mekus staggered through carrying what appeared to be a large bushel of firewood.
"What the Hades now?"the bundle of sticks was as large as Mekus himself and the man although built like the Colisseum struggled to maintain his grip.."Master, your new cudgels have arriv...WUUUR YEEEOHHH !" cried Mekus as he slipped on a pool of congealed mutton fat and blood on the cabin floor. The bundle of cudgels clattered down ungracefully into a heap with Mekus groaning painfully beneath. "Your new cudgels have arrived.." gasped the faithful orderly, barely able to breath under the pile of heavy exotic timbers.
Meako Stultus Cyrtae stood shaking his head
"Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear! Mekus my friend...if any of this equipment is damaged its the bearpit for you ...painted with honey! Now then. Lets have a look at these sticks and I will need to test each one thoroughly."
"Yes Sir." Mekus said wincing as he stood up causing more clattering of cudgels and fastening his helmet chinstrap more firmly.
"Preee..zairnt....Head" snapped the Centurion causing Mekus to bow forward.
"Lets see now.What have we here? mmm...hmm...mmmmmm...mmm." Kicking through the pile he saw the usual selection of coloured wood ,some brightly figured ,others so dark to be almost black. He knew what he was after to replace his beloved Olive branch which had broken whilst trying to teach Mekus the correct way to lay out the cutlery. Gods! the man was little more than a trained Ape.
The Jobillo club caught his eye .... he hefted it...good weight ,well balanced....attractive grain...none of the other Centurions had one like it that's for sure ...lets see now. .he thought as he raised it over his head and brought down hard on to the top of Mekus' helmet.
A satisfying gong sound resonated around the ships cabin...would it pass? he needed the indicator which told him this timber was suitable and durable enough....seconds passed by...a few more seconds of silence as the "gong" echo receded ..
"Owch." Mekus said suddenly as if it had not hurt at all but didn't want to disappoint his Master.
"Good!" stated the Centurion.."This one will do nicely. Burn the rest."
"Yes Sir." slurred Mekus straightening his helmet which now sat at a jaunty angle.
"And Mekus?"
"Sir?"
"Get your helmet repaired...If i see any more dents in it you will be boiled alive and fed to Hyaenas for damaging the Emperors property."

COME ON IRONWOOD!!! :thumbsup: :D

I’d be ok with bloodwood, but would much prefer ironwood. One key thing to notice is that the non-black woods have a significant majority over AB/Ebony, but the time may come that we have to band together or risk succumbing to the darkness! ;)

Now this is some exciting stuff.

Home Depot Pressure Treated Fir 2x6. Sorta like Osage Orange with slots stamped in it.

jbUSJHD.jpg

If anyone ever needs to imitate a @Modoc ED post and you don’t have any pressure treated lumber on hand, cardboard and a sharp chisel will do in a pinch.

bqmDOmP.jpg

Hey, is it too late to add cardboard slabs to the poll? It is a wood-product. :thumbsup:

while bloodwood jad an early lead, desert ironwood is about to overtake it, and the only real question is where will the bloodwood votes go when the blackwood army receives ebony reinforcements.

this thing is far from over, and may be decided by the che chens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back