• Cocobolo

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Che Chen

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Comprendo su preocupación. Claro que ayudaría si no hiciera referencia a Blackwood africano comparándolo con un cerdo, Señor.

Nunca dije Blackwood o africano en me poesia. Nunca. Mi terminologia de cerdo lo aplique egualmente con Ironwood, Black y Bloodwood. Mi intento era causar humor.
Hasta ahora el critico solo han venido de latinos. Puede ser que el Latino no entiende el humor gringo. Un conflicto entre las 2 culturas.
Joseph

I switched from Ironwood to Blackwood. Several reasons:

1) Consistency. Every piece of blackwood will be dark, jet black, and nice. No chance of lighter brown swirls like show up on Gabon Ebony sometimes.
2) Brushed bolsters are a no-no for me. I always polish them. I think if we give this knife brushed bolsters, we're taking a step away from the Northfield fanciness. Really don't want to see a NF knife with brushed bolsters/shield.
3) Blackwood is some of the most durable natural handle material you can put on a knife. Towards the top of the hardness charts. Want a knife that will look incredible in 100 years, like a lot of the knives that get posted in other threads that aren't GECs? Check out how many of them are ebony or blackwood.
4) Blackwood with that bomb shield is going to be one of the sharpest looks we've seen come from GEC in a long time.

Just think of the class, the handsomeness, the allure of knives like these, and the Ebony TC barlows, and the Blackwood 77s:

32162610977_992daf9769_b.jpg

1) Consistency. Every piece of blackwood will be dark, jet black, and nice. No chance of lighter brown swirls like show up on Gabon Ebony sometimes.
2) Brushed bolsters are a no-no for me. I always polish them. I think if we give this knife brushed bolsters, we're taking a step away from the Northfield fanciness. Really don't want to see a NF knife with brushed bolsters/shield.
3) Blackwood is some of the most durable natural handle material you can put on a knife. Towards the top of the hardness charts. Want a knife that will look incredible in 100 years, like a lot of the knives that get posted in other threads that aren't GECs? Check out how many of them are ebony or blackwood.
4) Blackwood with that bomb shield is going to be one of the sharpest looks we've seen come from GEC in a long time.

Just think of the class, the handsomeness, the allure of knives like these, and the Ebony TC barlows, and the Blackwood 77s:

I knew you’d turn to the dark side. Welcome!

pdTDDA8.jpg

The brushed finish is one of the main reasons I switched from Ironwood to African Blackwood.

The Whaler is the only knife I have with brushed bolsters and they don't fair well with use/carry. :eek:

As bad as I wanted a Whaler, I would have bought it with bunny/flower acrylic and pink anodized bolsters. Obviously I didn't know it would have brushed bolsters/satin finish when I reserved it, and while they looked great initially (factory installed scuffs included :rolleyes:) it takes quite a bit of maintenance to keep the bolsters looking brushed. Slips and pockets will and do polish the brushed finish. :oops:

As far as wood, it's Sophie's Choice between IW & AB for me (both outstanding!).

When it comes to the bolsters, don't chase the *Beep Beep* Roadrunner off the cliff. :p

Polish those suckers! :D:D:D

- Del

I agree with the factors against ironwood. The concerns people are raising have been demonstrated and confirmed by the recent brushed bolster ironwood whaler. Nice knife, but I think the brushed bolsters detracted from it, and I don’t think it is a ‘heritage’ knife. There were a lot of seconds - I wonder if these will push the price up? (genuine question not speculation).

(I would be happy with a second as I am going to rehandle one in Jobillo!)

Ebony is the safe choice I get that.....Its like wearing the white sheet ghost costume to a Halloween party. It's easy, safe and comfortable and its not gonna raise any eyebrows. Ironwood is like that crazy out of this world Halloween costume that you take a gamble on. Its the one that might piss some people off, make some people laugh and say wow that guy is creative.

I have one knife in AB from GEC and it has brown in it. There's no guarantee it will be all black.

From what I understand, there is a far greater risk of having brown or streaky Ebony than there is with African Blackwood. But there are always exceptions as has been illustrated earlier in the thread or one of the other ones.

I don't mind the brown streaks. I think it looks better than the all black ebony #15 Radio knife I have. My point was that there's no guarantee, which should be pretty easy to understand.

In any case, I switched from blood wood to AB since iron wood will have ugly brushed bolsters and shield. Hopefully AB wins.

Pic of a couple Whalers, the brushed bolsters on the ironwood detract from the knife in my opinion, the ebony Northfield has brown streaks and is still attractive plus you can see the reflection of the old fat guy taking pictures in those glorious polished bolsters.

IMG_8636.jpg

Pic of a couple Whalers, the brushed bolsters on the ironwood detract from the knife in my opinion, the ebony Northfield has brown streaks and is still attractive plus you can see the reflection of the old fat guy taking pictures in those glorious polished bolsters.

View attachment 1090280
Both are beautiful. I'm not saying this to be contentious, but I honestly do prefer the brushed hardware.

View attachment 1090280

That Ebony Whaler would look spectacular with that Banner shield, instead of the keyhole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back