1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Attention 2019 Forum Knife : Poll - Smooth Wood

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Mar 8, 2019.

Smooth Wood

Poll closed Mar 14, 2019.
  1. African Blackwood

152 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Bocote

6 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Bloodwood

30 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. Ebony

6 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Kingwood

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. Jobillo

5 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. Desert Ironwood

149 vote(s)
    40.3%
  8. Osage Orange

17 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. Cocobolo

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. Che Chen

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Can we have some more pictures of brushed bolsters with ironwood next to AB polished for comparison sake? My only ironwood sample is on a modern knife and I would love to see some more pics like Angie posted.

meako, tmd_87, Sabercat and 1 other person like this.
  2. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Actually, I also like the brushed hardware on the Ironwood, gives it a rustic, rugged, ready to use look! Rattlesnake come out of his hole to bite ya,...no worries, just pull out Mr. Ironwood!
    And having said that, hmmm, a Rattlesnake Shield!! :eek::D:thumbsup:.

But I also think the polished looks better on the Blackwood. So if you're going to a social, and need a matching 4" knife with Shiny tails...Blackwood it is.

I'm in Levi's all day, sweats at night, so I love the comfort of the Ironwood w/ brushed finish.:cool::thumbsup:

TX180SX, meako, Kiteman72 and 4 others like this.
  3. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Chestnut 99 with brushed bolsters. Note the striations (brush strokes) and the dark spots just above the kick on the bolster, where it just rubbed a little. It looks stained and dull.

Chestnut99open.jpg

Ironwood 14 brushed. Not marred yet, but the brushed bolsters make the whole knife look drab, even though it has exceptional ironwood.

Ironwood14open.jpg

Blackwood 72 with polished bolster that just makes this knife POP . . . . simply gorgeous!!

[​IMG]

meako, pjsjr, tmd_87 and 10 others like this.
  4. DelOro

DelOro Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2016
    @Ernie1980

I'll snap a few new pics tonight and post them for you.

My Ironwood Whaler is mainly used as a cigar cutter (Xikar who? ;)) and conversation piece.

Several friends handle/use it weekly to cut their cigars.

As opposed to wiping a few fingerprints, I have to use sandpaper to maintain the brushed finish (PITA too!).

Does the cigar care if the bolsters are satin or polished? Probably not! :p

- Del

[​IMG]

5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    To me, this just says, "traditional".
    [​IMG]

Terdl76, DelOro, ty_higg and 8 others like this.
  6. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    :)

7. tmd_87

Jan 29, 2016
    HOLY COW that #14 in IRONWOOD looks amazing how can you say that looks "drab"?\

That's why this HOBBY is awesome. Everyone has their preferences and reason to why they like certain things on certain knives.

8. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    No doubt polished works better. On either knife.

meako likes this.
  9. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    I'll take the 72!!! Oh wait.....this isn't a sale thread. :oops:

meako likes this.
  10. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I wouldn't be spitting on that 14 either. Great swirling pattern on that one!

mitch4ging and tmd_87 like this.
  11. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

12. tmd_87

Jan 29, 2016
    Ebony or African Black Wood? I cant tell the difference! :p

JUST KIDDING, that's an awesome knife!!!

13. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    @tmd_87 It’s actually the same knife Jeff posted. I bought it on the exchange in a lucky strike. :thumbsup:

14. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    I kinda like it myself, as long as the blade is of a similar polish. I don’t think a shiny blade would look good with brushed bolster.

15. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    So are the iron wood people going to all change over to blood wood or the other way around? Either way it would knock off the AB and bring back a lighter cooler. Oh the drama...

TOM K. and BigKurtHaze like this.
  16. H2O2HI

H2O2HI Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2016
    No way would I try to virtue signal anyone on the porch by saying the words: “endangered knife handle material”, “endangered knife handle material”, “endangered knife handle material”, “endangered knife handle material”, “endangered knife handle material”, “endangered knife handle material”, “endangered knife handle material”, “endangered knife handle material”, “endangered knife handle material”, “endangered knife handle material”.

There, that felt good.

Spencergarden likes this.
  17. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    ....yawn...

meako, Ramrodmb, bbk357 and 5 others like this.
  18. ron_m80

ron_m80 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 1, 2009
  19. Foghorn Leghorn Fan

Foghorn Leghorn Fan Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2011
    I had picked Bloodwood but as that is is not fairing well and with Blackwood and Ironwood running neck and neck I was torn on which to change to.

Blackwood it is.

Will Power, hamsco, JohnDF and 4 others like this.
  20. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    I don't want to speak for everybody, but I'm gonna speak for everybody.......
    no-one-cares-about-hollywood.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.