1. Despite 2020 presenting more than its share of challenges, I'm thankful for all of you, and the community you guys have created. Hope that your homes are full of happiness, your fridge well stocked with leftovers, and your homes warm & loving.

Attention 2019 Forum knife question thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knarfeng, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I'm just going to keep asking if we can have a Badge/Button/Pin until someone tells me we can or someone tells me we can't. :)

I think a Poll to decide would be a good bit of fun.

Rookie82, BigKurtHaze and meako like this.
  2. NewBlades16

NewBlades16 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2015
    I think too, the fact that the ‘18 forum knife came out late last yr, people wanted to get on it early this yr. I forgot who got the first comment rolling this yr, but that seemed to get it started early this yr. As well, the focus of the mods and Mike has the process running quickly and efficiently.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  3. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Your button idea might add to the price of the knife. The goal was to keep it close to $100.00. Apparently they've done it.

meako likes this.
  4. Kiteman72

Jan 22, 2015
    It sure might.

We don't know the price of the knife yet, so you're not really in a position to know one way or another if adding a button would be cost prohibitive or not.

I, and others, would be willing to pay an extra couple of bucks to have a cool pin.

TFBraden, tmd_87 and rdave like this.
  5. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I said apparently.

I put an order in for two knives not two knives and two buttons.

Who knows - maybe Howard would throw them in gratis.

meako likes this.
  6. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    That's why we love you @meako, 'cause you know just what not to say!:cool:

btb01, mitch4ging, meako and 3 others like this.
  7. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Considering that some brief price checking for buttons has demonstrated that it can cost up to 15 cents (with a custom image and all, ordered in bulk), I highly doubt it is any sort of measurable factor in the cost of a GEC knife.

blademan 13, Pomsbz, TFBraden and 5 others like this.
  8. Kiteman72

Jan 22, 2015
    I hope we have a Poll to decide if we get buttons!

It would be a cool addition for the last of the "Dot" knives.

Ed, I'm sure Mike would be happy to remove the Buttons from your tubes and reduce the price of the knives accordingly. :D

meako, TX Traditional and tmd_87 like this.
  9. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 5, 2018
    I spent some time peddling “advertising novelties” in the past and if I remember how pricing on buttons went, “bulk” implied a quantity far beyond the few hundred our little deal here might be good for. Is that 15 cent price threshold applicable down at the ~500 quantity level?

10. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Is there a deadline for adding a 2nd knife? Or is that a decision that we already made if we posted in the "I'm in" thread?

11. BrianB43

BrianB43 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Understood and makes sense. Had to ask.

Brian

12. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    If you keep just 3 out of those 7 promises, you got my vote! ;) :thumbsup:

13. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    It varies. For a 500 count, sites have pricing between 15-25 cents.

Again, being a promotional item, I shouldn't think it would be a significant cost factor. Even if the manufacturer wanted to put that cost on the buyers.

14. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    I recall that it may have been @JTB_5 who started the ball rolling, but I could be mistaken.

tmd_87 likes this.
  15. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    I can guarantee you that Chris won't do them for that price; so you might need to just send the factory the 500 pins you want dropped in the tubes.

btb01 and Fodderwing like this.
  16. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I didn't really start the conversation, but after watching a lot of folks discussing and dreaming, I was the first one to start the "unofficial" poll that got the moderators working behind the scenes with purpose. I'm pretty sure I annoyed them, but I hope in the end they'll be glad it happened earlier in the year than later. But who knows. I just hope we don't run this thing into the ground!

meako, abbydaddy, Fodderwing and 2 others like this.
  17. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    I think we ordered last year's knife in July, and didn't receive the knife until December--and some folks in January. I am glad this process started earlier in the year this time.

JSutter and Fodderwing like this.
  18. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I hope it works out better. I haven't been around long enough to know. As I recall, it was actually Mike's suggestion that a poll be started, to get an idea of what maker folks would want, which would then give an idea of what dealer would be able to help out. I was just the one dumb enough to make it without asking! :D

JSutter, tmd_87 and Prester John like this.
  19. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    If this is a serious proposal, I'm a local guy, and there is a print shop in town that does buttons. (It may be who GEC uses for all their buttons anyways, but I don't know). Shall I inquire about pricing?

Jody744, meako, abbydaddy and 2 others like this.
  20. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    everyone wants buttons, even people that pretend they dont (especially those people), so maybe a "Big 10" button with a rams head or possibly a polar bear?

meako and Kiteman72 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.