Attention 2019 Forum knife question thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knarfeng, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Provided the cost is reasonable (what is reasonable to me, I'm not sure, haha), I would be willing to "kick in" so we could have buttons this year.

I'm certainly wanting to hear some numbers. :thumbsup:

Henry Beige likes this.
  2. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I should state that I am not one who is bent on getting a pin. They are neat but I am more interested in a knife than a cool bit of bling.

I was simply pointing out that pins are very inexpensive, whether Chris does them at that price or not.

JohnDF and Prester John like this.
  3. DelOro

DelOro

Jan 17, 2016
    The pin *always* makes the knife slice better! :p

All kidding aside, I would like to see a pin included (if possible/cost effective?) with the knife. :D

Kiteman72 and Prester John like this.
  4. Butch

Butch Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2003
    I always enjoy your stories. Having one saved for posterity on this year's tube would be great.

JSutter, r8shell, Fodderwing and 2 others like this.
  5. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    Frank, Gary, and I were having some conversations in the background prior to any poll. I had asked them to wait until I could go to Shot and talk to some makers.

I don't have any problem with pins either; but when a price tag is put on something, it sometimes needs a bit of context. Having a machine churn them out several a second is a bit different than Chris stacking the components and pulling the lever down on one at a time in any extra time. That doesn't make the pins worth any more, but why I mention we may be better off to just supply them ourselves. Having said that, I don't think a GEC made pin or a back label either one would even be a bump in the road as far as overall price.

meako, UnderDawgAl, abbydaddy and 3 others like this.
  6. Pàdruig

Dec 1, 2016
    I appreciate the context, Mike. I wasn't aware that Chris actually "made" the pins. Obviously, that changes things in terms of bulk pricing as nothing is free, nor should it be.

If folks wanted a pin, I'd be all for coming up with a graphic and finding a source that makes more sense.

7. Pàdruig

Dec 1, 2016
    Double tap...

8. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I'm in for a pin and something on the back of the tube. Let me know how I can help :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

cigarrodog likes this.
  9. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    He’s got a better chance of 50 words and undercthan I would. ;) :D

10. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    I bet it takes quite a bit of time.. I've done it before. It's an easy task, but time consuming. IF GEC decides to make pins I don't think it's fair to ask them to do something out of their normal routine. Making 600 some odd number of pins will chew up major productivity hours. They should just do what they normally do...if they choose to do it. Make 50 or so pins and it's luck if the draw.

11. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    The current order thread will stay open until the day before Mike closes down taking orders. That is likely to be several weeks from now. If folks don't see the order thread within a 3-4 week time frame, well, there's only so much we can do and still make this a 2019 knife. GEC does not have the throughput that Buck does.

Whether there is a pin or not would be up to Mike and GEC.
    (Have no use for them, myself, but I'm not a big GEC collector.)

Edited to add: When we know the timeline for the actual purchasing site, we will post it in the first post in the ordering thread.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  12. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I see what you did there. :)

mitch4ging, JSutter, meako and 2 others like this.
  13. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I'm a +1 on the idea of Meako writing the blurb for this year's knife.

As far as the pin goes, my daughter likes them. She wears them for a bit and then loses them. So I am fine with the addition of a pin.

JSutter, cigarrodog and UnderDawgAl like this.
  14. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    I'm curious if anyone knows how many forum knives have been produced each year? Based on the "reserve yours now" thread it looks like this year will be well over 300, but is that a lot?

Also - Meako story with knife please!
    On button I'm a "meh."

meako likes this.
  15. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Last year's order was for 474 knives. I think I remember a previous year may have exceeded 500. Those were the top two if I'm not mistaken.

meako likes this.
  16. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Thanks for that clarification. :thumbsup:

17. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    I just want to add while I am not sure if I will be purchasing one of these I want to thank @knifeswapper and everyone who works hard on the forum knives.

JSutter and mitch4ging like this.
  18. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    thanks for the info! Looks like we are currently in the neighborhood of 380.

Railsplitter likes this.
  19. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I counted 346 as of 7:10 pm, but some may have changed their earlier posts.

20. Behr95

Behr95

Jan 23, 2018
    Can’t wait to get these in hand. As a GEC fan boy and only my second forum knife, this is very exciting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.