2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Got a bloodwood coming from knifeswapper. Decided to get it instead of the curly maple. I had some store credit to spend. I hope it looks as good as the photo. I've totally blown my budget. Think I will lay low until the forum knives are ready.

Got a bloodwood coming from knifeswapper. Decided to get it instead of the curly maple. I had some store credit to spend. I hope it looks as good as the photo. I've totally blown my budget. Think I will lay low until the forum knives are ready.
I think the bloodwood is the best looking one so far . Love the grain and I bet it’ll look even better in person .

Sorry to derail the discussion of the Coffee House and Wood #29s, but I thought I'd post this picture:

sBXJxrml.jpg

I've been enjoying mine. I was at my wife's grandparents house for a while while she helped them with caretaking and the best thing I could do was stay out of the way. So I went outside and cleared some dead branches out of their yard, and I thought I saw a spoon in one of them. Unfortunately my original plans for a kind of thin curvy spoon were dashed by lots of knots, but I got something out of it at least. I'm by no means experienced or skilled at whittling, and this spoon is very rough and not super functional, but the maple looks nice and maybe it could be a sugar spoon.

The Stockyard Whittler did pretty well. I was impressed with the heat treat of the awl. I do think sunken joints would make it a lot more comfortable in extended use.
That spoon is so cool. :cool::thumbsup:

And.... the maples are gone
Took less than 30 min. Looks like there were about 100 produced.

Last edited:
Couldn’t resist :)
05UCMbD.jpg

Did0SGx.jpg

5JpILtf.jpg

Edit: Yes I caved in when I got the in
stock notification it was like I was possessed and as I watched them disappear before my eyes I was trying to pick one with good blade centering but still had some nice grain/color .
Did I mention I was half a sleep :eek: lol
Well off to the store to stock up on some Top Ramen and Jasmine rice :)

Last edited:
Man, these 29s are pretty amazing. I've purchased several and I'm actually surprised there are any left on dealer shelves. These are one of GEC's "greats."
The snakewoods are proving very elusive. Hopefully there's a second wave coming.

I love the pattern, if I had my wish, it would just be a tiny bit longer. But it's still an outstanding traditional.

I think I may have to get a Northfield jigged bone, too. Oh dear. :confused:

Congrats to those who scored a tiger maple!

I saw the e-mail notification come through but ultimately passed. They were hard to resist, but I still need to grab an M&G from this run. I'm trying to limit myself to just two of these. Ugh LOL

My two cents on the pattern...
1. Aesthetically pleasing design.
2. Fit and finish is near perfect (9 out of 10).
3. Walk and talk works great for me considering the blade configuration and access to the nick/long pull (5 main blade 6 secondary and punch).
4. Even without the liners...3 blades is a little heavy for my tastes...by the tiniest amount. I like to carry mine free in the pocket and this one didn't ride well and needs a slip.

To remedy the issues I mentioned for my own personal preferences, I am going to delete the secondary blade on the 29's I intend to keep and carry. Not only will this lighten it up a tad to be more comfortable for me, but it allows direct, easy access to the main blade nick or long pull (for a right hander anyway).
I do realize it takes the whittle out of the whittler but that's just me...I'll take a Harness Jack any day :)

Damn, the Snakewoods are elusive! It seems I'm always 15 minutes late to the "in stock" email and by the time I get there they are gone. I was able to score a maple and an acrylic but snakewood is really the one I want. Maybe I can use the ones I did get as trade bait for an elusive snakewood down the line. :)

My two cents on the pattern...
1. Aesthetically pleasing design.
2. Fit and finish is near perfect (9 out of 10).
3. Walk and talk works great for me considering the blade configuration and access to the nick/long pull (5 main blade 6 secondary and punch).
4. Even without the liners...3 blades is a little heavy for my tastes...by the tiniest amount. I like to carry mine free in the pocket and this one didn't ride well and needs a slip.

To remedy the issues I mentioned for my own personal preferences, I am going to delete the secondary blade on the 29's I intend to keep and carry. Not only will this lighten it up a tad to be more comfortable for me, but it allows direct, easy access to the main blade nick or long pull (for a right hander anyway).
I do realize it takes the whittle out of the whittler but that's just me...I'll take a Harness Jack any day :)
Thanks for the review, Darren! I just ordered my first from this pattern yesterday in Snakewood, so I'm anxious to see it in person. They certainly have the aesthetics in spades!

It's an interesting thought to remove the sheep to thin it out. I'll remember that if I keep mine and if I find it too bulky. Are you planning to do that work yourself with your new found skills? :cool:

That run on curly maple was almost Northwoods like.
Edited my original reply So to not derail this thread on a buying comparison. I will graciously say it was A very pleasant experience :)

Last edited:
Back