2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

My Stag arrived yesterday, quite thrilled with it:thumbsup:
tHBxme.jpg

qPsxCW.jpg
Beautiful Stag Paul !!! The Carmel color with deep black texture and grooves is stunning !!! :thumbsup:

Just gorgeous Paul! Congratulations!

That's a beaut, Paul- congrats!!!

Yeah, I received a stock notification from a retailer earlier tonight, stating stag examples were up for grabs. I jumped on one out of impulse. Now I need to decide on which to keep...the stag UN-X-LD or my Osage. I will have two knives from the same run but I don't prefer to own knives I won't put to use.

I only have duplicates of two other GEC knives...the 81 bull moose and the 78 American jack. Both of those are also stag covered. I don't carry them because they're so pretty but can't seem to divest myself of either. I hope history isn't repeating itself here!

Beautiful Stag Paul !!! The Carmel color with deep black texture and grooves is stunning !!! :thumbsup:
Dschal, rswanson and Ed, Thank you:thumbsup: I like the "darkness" of the Stag but was uncertain until it's arrival and then all was right in the world:) So MANY nice ones in this release:thumbsup:

It's between the bloodwood and the acrylic for best in show this run, IMO.
I do think that the Acrylic isn't getting the love it deserves...quite possibly due to it being the first one released.

It's hard to predict these things, but I wouldn't be shocked if this is one of those knives/materials that - in a few years - folks lament not grabbing when there were some in stock for awhile.

I do think that the Acrylic isn't getting the love it deserves...quite possibly due to it being the first one released.

It's hard to predict these things, but I wouldn't be shocked if this is one of those knives/materials that - in a few years - folks lament not grabbing when there were some in stock for awhile.
I think your observation is right. First released and overshadowed by subsequent ones. However, these are extremely well made, the acrylic is deep and visually stunning, some colors come and go in differing light conditions.

I suspect that like with stag covers, not being certain of the pattern one will get causes many to hesitate. Admittedly, some acrylic covers are more pleasing or dramatic than others but still, it’s a subjective preference.

Theres more than one acrylic. Personally I don't find the grits and butter option that attractive, and since they've been in stock since they came out probably a lot of people feel that way, unless they made more of it than anything else? Its obviously a preference thing. I will admit some peoples G&B look better than others, like the one above has good character.

Plus there are the M&G 29s (three) which are outstanding and classics in their own right. If any are not getting the attention they deserve its those three because they are M&Gs name on them and because of that seem to be overlooked to some degree.

Personally I feel its hard to beat the bloodwood for wood, or the blood red jigged bone.

Really I haven't seen so many cover options in one run in a long time! I think it boils down to preference like I said and there are so many to choose from.

I'm actually surprised these didn't have a run on them almost like the 93s to some degree. Maybe because of the reamer? Idk. But it seems people are looking forward to the 92 which is similar in several ways, but expect it to be gone quickly, and there aren't nearly as many cover options available for that one.

Woohoo! I used the awl/punch! Needed a new hole in a leather belt. I used a nail for the initial hole, but it wasn't big enough. Then thought, hmmm, I have a new knife with a punch on it. Worked like a charm. Woohoo :D

Edit: Almost forgot. I find the inline awl easier to use than the "T" handle configuration on my SAKs.

It appears to me from a very informal survey of postings on this forum, that members’ preferences run like this in order of first to last:

Northfield
Tidioute

Stag
Exotic wood
Jigged bone
Smooth bone
Micarta
Acrylic

I suspect this is weighed heavily by collectors, not by those who primarily use their knives on a daily basis.

Factors of utility, use and ergonomics play small part in favor of desirability and investment. Which is as it should be if collectibility is the primary objective.

Hence, those who prefer Tidioute style with utility characteristics usually have stock to choose from and are spared the buying, early reserve, secondary market blues.

Last edited:
My vote is the red bone. It's gorgeous, even more so than the stag. And practical.

If only it had the Tidioute style blades.

It appears to me from a very informal survey of postings on this forum, that members’ preferences run like this in order of first to last:

Northfield
Tidioute

Stag
Jigged bone
Smooth bone
Micarta
Acrylic

I suspect this is weighed heavily by collectors, not by those who primarily use their knives on a daily basis.

Factors of utility, use and ergonomics play small part in favor of desirability and investment. Which is as it should be if collectibility is the primary objective.

Hence, those who prefer Tidioute style with utility characteristics usually have stock to choose from and are spared the buying, early reserve, secondary market blues.

you forgot the Snakewood/Bloodwood

I wasn't positive I'd like this knife, but it was so pretty I held on to it long enough to finally use it. Now I have decided I really like it. I generally carry single bladed knives, but found myself in a situation recently where I wanted a second blade. The addition of the punch is just icing on the snake for me!
2mI84fH.jpg

I wasn't positive I'd like this knife, but it was so pretty I held on to it long enough to finally use it. Now I have decided I really like it. I generally carry single bladed knives, but found myself in a situation recently where I wanted a second blade.

I hear ya on that. Coming from primarily carrying/using modern OHO folders, I was averse to most multi-bladed traditional patterns initially. Glad I came around, though. Most of what I prefer to carry and use are multi-bladed traditionals nowadays :thumbsup:

Northfield
Tidioute

Stag
Exotic wood
Jigged bone
Smooth bone
Micarta
Acrylic

For me at least, it really depends on the knife. In general I like wood and smooth bone the best, but stag or jigged bone can suit certain patterns very well. Any of these can be users or safe queens.

I've been carrying mine daily for over three weeks now. :):thumbsup:
Zb4cUAp.jpg

Northfield
Tidioute

Stag
Exotic wood
Jigged bone
Smooth bone
Micarta
Acrylic

I'm not saying I disagree with that completely when looking at the collective community...but it is highly subjective...and hey poor acrylics! :D

Well I thought it was just an interesting observation and it could even be more or less correct. I have come to like the Tidioutes the best and although I have some GEC knives in various covers, no stag anymore though, and will be moving most of them along, I will be keeping all Tidioutes: 29s in acrylic and bone, a calf roper in bone, and my trusty 82 Possum Skinner. Some day I’d like to have a GEC in tortoise shell.

I have seen some stag that is very nice but it is always accompanied by the Northfield characteristics which I don’t care for. Be nice to have stag options in Tidioute.

Back