2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Charlie- Beautiful Stag 29 my friend.
I have Barry to thank for choosing SUCH a fine example for me, never has Barry let me down with his quality control - no Rap on this Beauty that I can see - I have tested with a uncontrolled closing - so thus a perfect specimen!

8dEN1zu.jpg

EpSo2wF.jpg

VtK75ji.jpg

GvpIWCQ.jpg

1aXPAOF.jpg

Well, I was pretty certain I was going to be passing this pattern by. 3-blade GECs are the most expensive at retail (barring certain SFOs, of course) and I was trying to give myself a bit of a break. However, I saw one in Stag that I liked and I also knew that should I pass this up now while they are still reasonably available, I will most certainly regret it down the road.

I wasn't expecting this until next week so it was a nice surprise to find in my mailbox after returning from my daughter's soccer game.

First impressions are very favorable. It has been awhile since I've held a new pattern and marveled at how comfortable it is in the hand. This one just snuggles in and is particularly well enhanced by the shaping of the Stag covers. Everything really just.... fits.

The fit and finish on this knife is according to the usual standards that I have come to expect in GEC knives. The blades are nice and thinly ground and despite it being a three spring knife, all of the blades are fit together really well - I like the additional space that the extra spring provides though, less chance of blade rub when I'm not thinking about it while opening the knife. The half stops threw me off but only for a few moments, the action is much crisper than my 66 is and that is a refreshing change.

The Stag covers are not particularly well matched but to be rather honest, that isn't something I tend to look for when choosing Stag. I like the aesthetic of both sides and I really like the bit of swell that the pile side has towards the larger bolster, it contributes to that "excellent fit in the hand" attribute.

Overall, I am rather pleased and I am happy that I scooped one up before they become difficult to come by in the future.

QQvYfc2.jpg

bXrOSBh.jpg

ubDezmg.jpg

fFhIXPj.jpg

And of course, the usual glamour shot.

QYTnSrM.jpg

waverave waverave - Darren, it’s Neal, Neal70. Having probs with my account, but!( waynorth waynorth , Campbellclanman Campbellclanman ) you mentioned conversion to a HJ, how’s that going? Or have you had a chance to start?
Thanks, Neal
I took mine apart for the blade delete but am just waiting on my order of pin stock to arrive to put it back together :thumbsup: I should have it finished end of next week or so and will post photos.

Scrolling through pics, vids and comments about the 29’s while I wait for mine to arrive, (it might get here tomorrow!) I’m very surprised at how many folks say something to the effect of wishing it didn’t have the awl. Firstly because there is a 3 blade option. Secondly, The awl is the only reason I’m getting one. I love having an awl/punch on a knife, it’s so handy! I’d be even happier if the sheepsfoot was a caplifter/screwdriver, then you could slice, poke and pry. It would be even better than a typical scout as you wouldn’t have the relatively useless can opener, (yes I know some folks love them but I’ve never had an occasion where I needed an awkward little can opener on my knife).

There’s definitely a lot of “mod” possibilities with this pattern. Possibly more easily with the three springs than a split-back would be.
Thanks, Neal70

I started out with no intention of buying one of these patterns. Then I succumbed to peer pressure (its shiny...) and bought a blood red bone. I like it so much that when I stumbled onto a dealer that still had a bloodwood in stock and had not jacked up the price like some other dealers....well here it is:
jsSbdJl.jpg
TME64dg.jpg

I think its much prettier in person. Despite my gallant efforts I could not capture its true beauty in the pics.

Nice one Dylan! I too like that knife in stag!!

Whhhooooar!!! Dylan- What a beauty !

Thank you, fellas! I am very pleased.

I haven't carried or used mine yet but I think it could very easily be my favorite GEC so far. Everything about this M&G is exceptional!
View attachment 1209147

I am very much considering getting ones of those, the M&Gs are just terrific!

More glamour shots of mine in Stag.

CzhbXWj.jpg

Zmlak6r.jpg

Beautiful knife Dylan! Great shot also. I'm tempted...but buying stag is a bit of a crap shoot. Enjoy that beauty!
Peter

Nice examples here. I’ve settled in with my Grits, Butter and Molasses. The covers are deep, the colors, especially the white, becomes pearl-like in certain light and I find the color pattern always interesting. Also, the chemotherapy having destroyed my nails, I have to use something long and thin to get back in there and clean them. The awl is perfect. So, this one is my favorite.

img_7464.jpg

Back