2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

I had figured it was just the normal cleaning oil at first but I’m pretty sure it’s oil that soaked into the sucker rods when they were used originally that people are smelling, it gets really strong when you sand it, normally GEC wood handled knives do not do that.
69A44C1A-2CC1-464C-830A-9646CEC656CB.jpeg 281C6F5D-335B-4525-B0A2-36EEFDB3AC76.jpeg 76DECAAE-90C5-42BA-A74E-ABF1EE59B26B.jpeg 601BE370-5756-4C24-AC56-129CCDAB7D9E.jpeg

img_0100.jpg

img_0101.jpg

I think this is another outstanding knife from Great Eastern Cutlery. Perfect fit and finish. Pulls about a 5, + or -, wood grain is outstanding, fits my hand very well, good heft but certainly not too heavy.

Happy, happy, happy!

img_0100.jpg

img_0101.jpg

I think this is another outstanding knife from Great Eastern Cutlery. Perfect fit and finish. Pulls about a 5, + or -, wood grain is outstanding, fits my hand very well, good heft but certainly not too heavy.

Happy, happy, happy!

These definitely look better than I was expecting. If I wouldn't have blown my budget on the 92s I would have gone after this one. Enjoy!

Can you be specific. I can’t visualize what you mean.

Someone on the sharpener at GEC has put a recurve on the blade. Picture laying the sharpened edge of the blade on something flat like granite and being able to see under it. Makes for a hassle to sharpen. I've seen this a fair amount.. it's because the sharpening is done by hand.

Edit: These are supposed to have a recurve.

Last edited:
Someone on the sharpener at GEC has put a recurve on the blade. Picture laying the sharpened edge of the blade on something flat like granite and being able to see under it. Makes for a hassle to sharpen. I've seen this a fair amount.. it's because the sharpening is done by hand.
just send it back to the dealer if you don't like that recurve. they should be able to give a replacement for it. mine definitely don't have a recurved edge.

Set the edge on a flat surface. It was designed that way. Every one I have seen has the same edge shape.
I agree. I’ve not seen one pictured that has a straight edge main blade. I’m fine with it. The sheep foot secondary is straight should I need that. I use a Sharpmaker so the slight curve isn’t a bother.

Remington used to do it on all their knives! And Bill has always been a fan of that old engineering!!:eek:
The reasons are two-fold: the blade better clears the spring pin, and the recurve gives a slicing advantage to the blade!! It allows a blade to sit lower in the knife!!:)
This was discussed at great length here years ago, but I can't remember the thread name!!:rolleyes:

The recurves are subtle, but visible, in the drawings!!

The recurve is so slight it should be easier to sharpen than most recurves. It also depends upon what sort of sharpening system you are using. Hand sharpening with stones will give you a way to control the angle all the way through if you take your time.

Back