2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Aug 20, 2019.

1. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Just lightly hit it with some Flitz “lightly” in the direction of the texture\satin finish and it’ll disappear ;)
    Again the trick is lightly unless you want a polished bolster and not satin.

Blades of Glory likes this.
  2. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    it does have a faint smell of oil!

3. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    I had figured it was just the normal cleaning oil at first but I’m pretty sure it’s oil that soaked into the sucker rods when they were used originally that people are smelling, it gets really strong when you sand it, normally GEC wood handled knives do not do that.
    69A44C1A-2CC1-464C-830A-9646CEC656CB.jpeg 281C6F5D-335B-4525-B0A2-36EEFDB3AC76.jpeg 76DECAAE-90C5-42BA-A74E-ABF1EE59B26B.jpeg 601BE370-5756-4C24-AC56-129CCDAB7D9E.jpeg

4. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    sorta like a scratch n sniff eh?

5. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think this is another outstanding knife from Great Eastern Cutlery. Perfect fit and finish. Pulls about a 5, + or -, wood grain is outstanding, fits my hand very well, good heft but certainly not too heavy.

Happy, happy, happy!

6. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    These definitely look better than I was expecting. If I wouldn't have blown my budget on the 92s I would have gone after this one. Enjoy!

TheFactor likes this.
  7. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    Really dissatisfied my natural micarta has an obnoxious recurve.

8. Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    Can you be specific. I can’t visualize what you mean.

9. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Someone on the sharpener at GEC has put a recurve on the blade. Picture laying the sharpened edge of the blade on something flat like granite and being able to see under it. Makes for a hassle to sharpen. I've seen this a fair amount.. it's because the sharpening is done by hand.

Edit: These are supposed to have a recurve.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  10. flylock

flylock Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2004
    just send it back to the dealer if you don't like that recurve. they should be able to give a replacement for it. mine definitely don't have a recurved edge.

11. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    I'll sharpen it out.

12. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    Set the edge on a flat surface. It was designed that way. Every one I have seen has the same edge shape.

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  13. Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    I agree. I’ve not seen one pictured that has a straight edge main blade. I’m fine with it. The sheep foot secondary is straight should I need that. I use a Sharpmaker so the slight curve isn’t a bother.

14. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Carrying mine today and then off to the movies for some more:D
    Carried in a leather slip like all my traditionals and she felt great in the pocket.
    What a beautiful knife one of my favorite patterns :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

15. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    Would be nice if GEC disclosed that part of the design.

16. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Remington used to do it on all their knives! And Bill has always been a fan of that old engineering!!:eek:
    The reasons are two-fold: the blade better clears the spring pin, and the recurve gives a slicing advantage to the blade!! It allows a blade to sit lower in the knife!!:)
    This was discussed at great length here years ago, but I can't remember the thread name!!:rolleyes:

cudgee likes this.
  17. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    He probably thinks he did....

[​IMG]

Cutfinger, RCMAZ, jkwithawave and 4 others like this.
  18. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    The recurves are subtle, but visible, in the drawings!!

19. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    They certainly are. Thanks for pointing this out. Another thing i have learnt on the forum from those much more experienced than me.o_O:thumbsup:

20. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    The recurve is so slight it should be easier to sharpen than most recurves. It also depends upon what sort of sharpening system you are using. Hand sharpening with stones will give you a way to control the angle all the way through if you take your time.

willc and cudgee like this.