1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 50 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Aug 20, 2019.

1. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I did mine on my gatco with no problem whatsoever.

2. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 7, 2016
    Ugh...Getting a little tired of the complaining on these 86 and CC Black Jack threads...heavy, recurve, 2nd blade on mark/pile side, tastes like oil

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    GotSteel, TheFactor and tmd_87 like this.
  3. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    haha! Well, I have no complaints.

mbkr and Cooter Brown like this.
  4. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I see most of these types of comments as people noting features that they don’t care for (complaints, yes) or questioning things they don’t understand. Makes for interesting and often informative discussions.

CallMeDave likes this.
  5. HOMER GRIFIN

HOMER GRIFIN

Apr 15, 2015
    I’m looking at different dealers and there are varying weights for the micarta version. Has anyone got an actual weight. Thanks

6. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    I personally love the smell of Gec oil .
    Though I prefer just to smell it not taste it :eek: :D

GotSteel and bax229 like this.
  7. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    A picture says a thousand words. But perhaps a new suffix for a designed recurve could be added to numbering scheme.

[​IMG]

8. mbkr

mbkr

May 20, 2018
    There must be some variation in these. The recurve on mine is so small as to be virtually unnoticeable. Or maybe I'm just not as much of a perfectionist.
    In any event I love the smell of oil in the morning :D

9. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Not that it matters much, I didn't notice from the picture. Looking at it after the fact I can see it, but didn't inspect the images of the blade prior to ordering one. A new blade shape number or a specific heads up about the blade shape would of been great.

jrawk likes this.
  10. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    [​IMG]

11. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I detect another internet “issue” brewing here. OMG, the 86s have a recurved blade. Yes, in fact their main blade does have a slight recurve. Some people didn’t notice meaning it is so slight, and or those who got one and now complain didn’t do sufficient research ahead of time.
    GEC’s web site hosted drawings for months with that slight recurve clearly shown. Manufacturing photos also show the main blade in detail. Every online dealer put up clear photos.
    I suppose any new release will have its critics. Fine, but don’t complain that you didn’t have plenty of opportunity to check the knife out thoroughly and now you are surprised about that recurve.

Axe nut, willc, t.willy and 2 others like this.
  12. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    I really personally don’t see a issue with a slight recurve other then it might challenge your sharpening skills.
    Probably make a better slicer giving you a touch more belly.
    But what do I know :)

13. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Ask, and you shall receive.... mine arrived while I was off hunting Bambi's dad.... 3.98 oz, or 113 grams. This is a bigger knife than I had pictured in my mind. It feels.... substantial. Recurve and all. Of course, this is not a scientific scale, but it should be close enough.

[​IMG]

14. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    The way I see it....if you are licking your blade, you're doing it wrong.... ;) :D

15. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    I agree. I'm looking forward to getting mine. Should be a good cutter. I think a couple people here were just surprised with the recurve.

16. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    My mom always use to yell at me when I licked my knife :D

17. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    You don't lick your blades?:p

hopsbreath likes this.
  18. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    Reminds me of that old Jerry Clower story about Marcel Ledbetter and the butter knife...

Old Engineer, mbkr and TheFactor like this.
  19. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    Only when nobody is looking....:D

Jiki likes this.
  20. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    "Always listen to your Mother" !!!

cbr1000 and TheFactor like this.