2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

"Always listen to your Mother" !!!
mgP9Ivz.gif

I detect another internet “issue” brewing here. OMG, the 86s have a recurved blade. Yes, in fact their main blade does have a slight recurve. Some people didn’t notice meaning it is so slight, and or those who got one and now complain didn’t do sufficient research ahead of time.
GEC’s web site hosted drawings for months with that slight recurve clearly shown. Manufacturing photos also show the main blade in detail. Every online dealer put up clear photos.
I suppose any new release will have its critics. Fine, but don’t complain that you didn’t have plenty of opportunity to check the knife out thoroughly and now you are surprised about that recurve.
I think you're making a bigger deal of the feedback being posted. This is a discussion forum. Let's discuss things we notice about a brand new pattern from a company not known for grinding recurves, without the need to put others on the defensive.

I really personally don’t see a issue with a slight recurve other then it might challenge your sharpening skills.
Probably make a better slicer giving you a touch more belly.
But what do I know :)
Yep, I agree. however, I'm not going to lie, I would not have placed a reserve on one if the manufacturer disclosed the main blade was designed with a recurve. For now it's part of the gamble in reserving going forward, just like not knowing the jigging style/color on handle covers.

On a lighter note.... I think I have the dubious honor of posting the first "drawn blood" pic for the 86's. I was opening mine last night before going to bed, to check out a detail, and somehow the knife slipped in my grip, pivoting around and viciously, without provocation, slashed the tip of my ring finger. :eek: It also added a tiny nick to my pinkie finger, just to add insult to injury. Let the bleeding begin. :rolleyes: I finally got it to stop by double band-aiding it. It's amazing how a little cut can bleed so much.
This is why I don't lick my knives....
ivnIxa.jpg

I think you're making a bigger deal of the feedback being posted. This is a discussion forum. Let's discuss things we notice about a brand new pattern from a company not known for grinding recurves, without the need to put others on the defensive.

Yep, I agree. however, I'm not going to lie, I would not have placed a reserve on one if the manufacturer disclosed the main blade was designed with a recurve. For now it's part of the gamble in reserving going forward, just like not knowing the jigging style/color on handle covers.

What I am discussing are the complaints like yours that blame GEC for not telling you with an announcement or number that the blade has a slight recurve. It has been there for anyone to see for months. If that puts you on the defensive it’s surely not my fault. Honest discussions should not be constrained because someone might be uncomfortable. I’m sorry if you are.

Ask, and you shall receive.... mine arrived while I was off hunting Bambi's dad.... 3.98 oz, or 113 grams. This is a bigger knife than I had pictured in my mind. It feels.... substantial. Recurve and all. Of course, this is not a scientific scale, but it should be close enough.

ivOG5k.jpg
Thank you. Mine should be here Wednesday. Can’t wait

On a lighter note.... I think I have the dubious honor of posting the first "drawn blood" pic for the 86's. I was opening mine last night before going to bed, to check out a detail, and somehow the knife slipped in my grip, pivoting around and viciously, without provocation, slashed the tip of my ring finger. :eek: It also added a tiny nick to my pinkie finger, just to add insult to injury. Let the bleeding begin. :rolleyes: I finally got it to stop by double band-aiding it. It's amazing how a little cut can bleed so much.
This is why I don't lick my knives....
ivnIxa.jpg
Made all the more vicious by the enhanced slicing ability of the slight recurve.

I now have an idea of what the Black Jack will be like! I got a Sucker Rod in the mail today, and it's great, recurve and all!! Seen here compared to a two-blade TC Barlow. Weight on my pretty accurate postal scale is 3.84 ozs.
Thickness of the blade at the tang is 0.1085".
O.A.L. is a hair under 3 7/8".
The secondary sheepfoot is very straight-edged!:rolleyes:

I will do a report of this one, or the Black fairly soon! I see I'm going to enjoy this one!!:)
Sucker Sample 1.jpg Sucker Sample 2.jpg Sucker Sample 3.jpg Sucker Sample 4.jpg

If I recall correctly, there was note taken of the appearance of a recurve early on. So it doesn't come as much of a surprise to me that folks are experiencing it. I will say though, that it is pretty apparent in the drawings provided that there is a visible slight recurve.

I am not generally a fan of recurves (unless we are talking about bows...) but this one is so slight and the blade sizable enough that I don't think it will pose much trouble for me.

^^Nice pics and comparison :thumbsup:
I did the same thing with a Farm & Field #71 and with a Case Copperhead. Didn't take pics though :oops:

Has anyone started seeing the Oily Creek Bones? If so, how is your wrench sitting in the bone, flush?

Last edited:
Color me a bit surprised, I didn't think this was going to be a hugely popular release - knives that run on the larger side typically don't get the same love that the 3 1/2" - 3 3/4" category get.

That said, it is essentially a larger version of the hugely popular 77 which happens to be a larger version of the even more popular 15 so I guess it does make some semblance of sense. I'd say it is a pretty terrific option for those who are used to modern folders and are seeking to transition to a more traditional slipjoint. When I made that transition, however long ago, the 86 would have been just about perfect, despite it having two blades.

I got emails from 3 dealers today with Oily Creeks for sale, all 3 were sold out by the time I got home though.

I was “multi-tasking” at work today and found an Oily Creek at one of the dealer sites. I was going to sit this one out, but I just couldn’t resist that Tidioute emblazoned wrench. Unfortunately I’ll have to wait till Christmas to fondle it. Just trying to make Christmas shopping easier for my wife. Just the kinda guy I am;)

Color me a bit surprised, I didn't think this was going to be a hugely popular release - knives that run on the larger side typically don't get the same love that the 3 1/2" - 3 3/4" category get.

That said, it is essentially a larger version of the hugely popular 77 which happens to be a larger version of the even more popular 15 so I guess it does make some semblance of sense. I'd say it is a pretty terrific option for those who are used to modern folders and are seeking to transition to a more traditional slipjoint. When I made that transition, however long ago, the 86 would have been just about perfect, despite it having two blades.
I love this Sucker!!!:D
Just a nice, big knife!!!:)

Back