1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 50 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Aug 20, 2019.

1. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    [​IMG]

2. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    I think you're making a bigger deal of the feedback being posted. This is a discussion forum. Let's discuss things we notice about a brand new pattern from a company not known for grinding recurves, without the need to put others on the defensive.

Yep, I agree. however, I'm not going to lie, I would not have placed a reserve on one if the manufacturer disclosed the main blade was designed with a recurve. For now it's part of the gamble in reserving going forward, just like not knowing the jigging style/color on handle covers.

3. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    On a lighter note.... I think I have the dubious honor of posting the first "drawn blood" pic for the 86's. I was opening mine last night before going to bed, to check out a detail, and somehow the knife slipped in my grip, pivoting around and viciously, without provocation, slashed the tip of my ring finger. :eek: It also added a tiny nick to my pinkie finger, just to add insult to injury. Let the bleeding begin. :rolleyes: I finally got it to stop by double band-aiding it. It's amazing how a little cut can bleed so much.
    This is why I don't lick my knives....
    [​IMG]

GotSteel, Cutfinger, JOELSM and 4 others like this.
  4. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    What I am discussing are the complaints like yours that blame GEC for not telling you with an announcement or number that the blade has a slight recurve. It has been there for anyone to see for months. If that puts you on the defensive it’s surely not my fault. Honest discussions should not be constrained because someone might be uncomfortable. I’m sorry if you are.

Jsega51 likes this.
  5. HOMER GRIFIN

HOMER GRIFIN

Apr 15, 2015
    Thank you. Mine should be here Wednesday. Can’t wait

hornetguy likes this.
  6. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Any info on when forum knives will ship?

hopsbreath and urbantrapper like this.
  7. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    Made all the more vicious by the enhanced slicing ability of the slight recurve.

8. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    :D
    I was thinking that, but didn't want to add gasoline to the fire... :cool:

9. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I suspect that for a big jack knife that could be used around oil fields, construction sites and the like on heavier materials, rope, cable ties, etc. that a recurve would enhance it’s cutting ability. Not gasoline, merely an opinion.

10. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    I now have an idea of what the Black Jack will be like! I got a Sucker Rod in the mail today, and it's great, recurve and all!! Seen here compared to a two-blade TC Barlow. Weight on my pretty accurate postal scale is 3.84 ozs.
    Thickness of the blade at the tang is 0.1085".
    O.A.L. is a hair under 3 7/8".
    The secondary sheepfoot is very straight-edged!:rolleyes:

I will do a report of this one, or the Black fairly soon! I see I'm going to enjoy this one!!:)
    Sucker Sample 1.jpg Sucker Sample 2.jpg Sucker Sample 3.jpg Sucker Sample 4.jpg

11. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    If I recall correctly, there was note taken of the appearance of a recurve early on. So it doesn't come as much of a surprise to me that folks are experiencing it. I will say though, that it is pretty apparent in the drawings provided that there is a visible slight recurve.

I am not generally a fan of recurves (unless we are talking about bows...) but this one is so slight and the blade sizable enough that I don't think it will pose much trouble for me.

12. mbkr

mbkr

May 20, 2018
    ^^Nice pics and comparison :thumbsup:
    I did the same thing with a Farm & Field #71 and with a Case Copperhead. Didn't take pics though :oops:

13. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks mbkr!!:thumbsup:

14. Blades of Glory

Blades of Glory Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2015
    Has anyone started seeing the Oily Creek Bones? If so, how is your wrench sitting in the bone, flush?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  15. wardcleaver

wardcleaver Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 17, 2017
    I got emails from 3 dealers today with Oily Creeks for sale, all 3 were sold out by the time I got home though.

Murphjd25 likes this.
  16. Pàdruig

Dec 1, 2016
    Color me a bit surprised, I didn't think this was going to be a hugely popular release - knives that run on the larger side typically don't get the same love that the 3 1/2" - 3 3/4" category get.

That said, it is essentially a larger version of the hugely popular 77 which happens to be a larger version of the even more popular 15 so I guess it does make some semblance of sense. I'd say it is a pretty terrific option for those who are used to modern folders and are seeking to transition to a more traditional slipjoint. When I made that transition, however long ago, the 86 would have been just about perfect, despite it having two blades.

17. JOELSM

JOELSM Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2007
    I was “multi-tasking” at work today and found an Oily Creek at one of the dealer sites. I was going to sit this one out, but I just couldn’t resist that Tidioute emblazoned wrench. Unfortunately I’ll have to wait till Christmas to fondle it. Just trying to make Christmas shopping easier for my wife. Just the kinda guy I am;)

18. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Ho Ho Ho!!!:D

19. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    I love this Sucker!!!:D
    Just a nice, big knife!!!:)

20. Pàdruig

Dec 1, 2016
    I am looking forward to experiencing it, Charlie. As long as I can land one of the versions I am holding out for.

waynorth likes this.