2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

Northfield (left), Northwoods (right).

WcHxqRj.jpg

Hi folks, couple questions:
Has anybody used a sheepsfoot ( or Ramsfoot :) lol ) blade for cleaning small fish.
Is it good for this type of task ?
My Mom loves fishing and she is visiting for a couple weeks. She asked me to take her fishing .... but she don't clean no fish :)
We used to go fishing together a few years ago for small perch here in the Saint Lawrence river.
I am thinking my Ram could be good for cutting up those perch but I have not done it in a while.

My Ram will most likely get a bit wet and dirty in the process. I will of course clean it up and dry it once done cleaning the fish at the river and then oiled it good once we get home.
Is this something that this type of knife in carbon steel is better to be left at home ?
I have cheap opinels to bring instead, at the same time bringing a special knife is...well...special.

Has anybody used a sheepsfoot ( or Ramsfoot :) lol ) blade for cleaning small fish.
My Mom loves fishing and she is visiting for a couple weeks. She asked me to take her fishing .... but she don't clean no fish :)
We used to go fishing together a few years ago for small perch here in the Saint Lawrence river.
I am thinking my Ram could be good for cutting up those perch but I have not done it in a while.

My Ram will most likely get a bit wet and dirty in the process. I will of course clean it up and dry it once done cleaning the fish at the river and then oiled it good once we get home.
Is this something that this type of knife in carbon steel is better to be left at home ?
I have cheap opinels to bring instead, at the same time bringing a special knife is...well...special.
IMHO, Go with the Opinel. Your 93 should be up to the task especially if you give it some
Post-use TLC, but I would rather use an Opinel Filet for this adventure. Maybe take the 93 along and give it a test ride, instead of using it for the whole shebang.

The blade will do the job well but I would not use a fine knife like a Coco 93 for such tasks. It will get fouled up with gutting fish, it will get very wet and grit/sand will get in the pivot-a nasty thing to get out. You won't be able to dry it very often-wood doesn't like prolonged wet and worst of all there's always big potential for losing a knife in fishing situations :eek::eek: Not worth it.:thumbsdown: Man overboard is saveable but knife overboard isn't....;)

I'd use either a Delrin stainless Sodbuster or a stainless Rapala type gutting/fillet knife. Being fixed it's easy to clean.

I understand your desire to use your knife, very admirable but horses for courses I feel.:cool:

I have used a sheepfoot TC 15 to clean fish a few times. It works. It's certainly not the best size or shape blade for the task. But I've found blade shape isn't as restricting a factor as you might think.

That said, it will definitely get dirty. You'll want to clean it off quick.

Opinels and fish cleaning are a double edged sword for me. The blade is great for it, but The handle gets wet and swells and makes them extremely difficult to open and close.

Tote your nice knife in your pocket, it deserves a day on the river... But carry something else for the dirty work.
I keep a stainless/delrin knife in with my fishing gear. When I get to the river, I slip it in my pocket in case I have any dirty work to do.

TY so much guys for all the replies and suggestions :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I do feel relieved :) as you have sort of helped save me from myself :)

I find myself being a lot more careful with my Coco 93 than when I first got it actually. Now I bring an opinel to our picnics for everyone to use but my Ram is for “Yours truly” only , lol
It even unsettles me to look at that pic of my Ram in the rain !

I have a rapala fillet knife somewhere in the shed. I will look for it and also watch some YouTube videos on how to clean fish ( it’s been a while ) :D

Back