2019 GEC Pemberton Thread

Got my stag today. I'll have to say this is a big little knife, it cuts way above its size. Perfect pocket floater!

Fresh off of lubing, sharpening and some stropping. A razor!! :cool::thumbsup:

zgUPS5m.jpg

y78yHca.jpg

Last edited:
Not yet. I legitimately know nothing about any other Pembertons in the works but the thought of some dark blue acrylic has put me into full-blown sleuth mode and I'm trying to find out if there is any truth to the notion.

Smooth bone is the one for me, 2-blade style. Finally got off the bench and bought something with a 2019 tang stamp today. Probably the deepest I've ever made it into a new year since the inception of GEC.

Last edited:
I confirmed with a few sources (including Chris @ GEC) that there are no more Pemberton surprises coming. Dark blue acrylic would have been awesome but doesnt look probable.

Oops, I saw the red and went away mad :D
Oops! I finally learned that unless it says "reservations closed" you can still try to get on stand-by. That's how I got a standby for a white bone two-blader.
Speaking of which, I was idly browsing through dealer pages to see if any of them were showing up on any sites yet, and saw one! Only one left in stock, so I grabbed it. Whoo-hoo!

Just like the run of #14s, I can't afford to buy them all, and have my heart set on the smooth white bone 2 blade version. It isn't easy letting the others pass by, almost caved when I saw the single in white, then the 2 blade jigged bone, but I held fast. :D

I confirmed with a few sources (including Chris @ GEC) that there are no more Pemberton surprises coming. Dark blue acrylic would have been awesome but doesnt look probable.

I must be going a bit crazy, not sure what I saw. But it was on the GEC photo layout page like they show all new releases. I went back later to check it out and it was gone. Strange...

Those #06 Templars are a bit of a nice surprise. I'll admit, I am not a big fan of acrylics but the Templar trim is intriguing to me. I wasn't going to bother with trying to score one but figured I would shoot for a red one, if it doesn't pan out, I won't be too heartbroken. I just got the blue 2-blade in today (will post pics and such momentarily) and I have a white 2-blade on the way. I also plan on getting a 2-blade in Stag... I'm already getting more than I initially had planned on.

The red ones look just like Red River acrylic to me. I'm not sure why they have to have multiple names for the same acrylic, á la beer barrel/tiger eye.

As mentioned above, I received my #06 Pemberton 2-blade in the blue bone today.

This is a pattern that I find very pleasing to the eye but as has been voiced throughout this thread, I was a bit concerned that it would turn out to be too small for me. Knowing that the 14s (particularly the single blade variants) ran on the small side, I knew it was possible that I would not care for these Pembertons. However, since I am still in a mode where I want to try anything GEC throws at me, I took the plunge and secured a few of them.

Initial impression:

There are times when you receive a new knife and you take it out of the box/tube and you are kind of "Meh" about it. It doesn't strike you as particularly awesome or terrible, it's just a knife. When this happens, I generally place the knife in my chest, put the tube on the shelf and will revisit it another day.

On the other hand, there are times when you receive a knife and you are immediately smitten, you put away the knife you currently had in your pocket and the one you just unboxed goes straight in as a replacement (after a fair amount of CF & CE, of course, as they say).

This Pemberton would fit in the latter case. It is indeed minuscule but its lines are so graceful, its weight is substantial but pleasing, and everything about it just speaks quality. The deep blue of the bone kind of draws you in and the smoothness of its odd jigging makes for a rather effective worry stone (if one is into such things).

HmiihvK.jpg

I will go over some pros and cons, covering the usual suspects, of course.

Pros:
  • Overall F&F is just simply sublime. Smooth, tight, and almost seamless. Truly a diminutive work of art.
  • I was initially concerned that I would receive one of these with washed out dye (a problem I've seen with GEC's bone as of late) but I was very pleased to see this bone sporting the deep blue I was hoping for. Just excellent.
  • Blades are both nicely centered and sport a very comfortable 5-6 pull on both blades with terrific snap.
  • The Shield is just perfect and though I have a preference for bomb, badge/federal shields, the Tidioute suits this knife very well.
Cons:
  • I really see nothing wrong with this knife. If I were to nitpick, I would mention the unremarkable jigging but honestly, the knife is so small and it feels so nice in the hand, that I likely will never notice it as a problem.

Overall, a terrific effort by GEC and I look forward to the Northfield version soon as well as a possible Templar (which would be my first Acrylic if the standby converts).

Now for some pictures (please note the first picture as it provides some size comparison with a couple of 14s, the difference is considerable):

XBfAAmJ.jpg

hgY3HtB.jpg

6TMADtI.jpg

Glamour shot:

MKj3czp.jpg

This is a pattern that I find very pleasing to the eye but as has been voiced throughout this thread, I was a bit concerned that it would turn out to be too small for me. Knowing that the 14s (particularly the single blade variants) ran on the small side, I knew it was possible that I would not care for these Pembertons. However, since I am still in a mode where I want to try anything GEC throws at me, I took the plunge and secured a few of them.

Initial impression:

There are times when you receive a new knife and you take it out of the box/tube and you are kind of "Meh" about it. It doesn't strike you as particularly awesome or terrible, it's just a knife. When this happens, I generally place the knife in my chest, put the tube on the shelf and will revisit it another day.

On the other hand, there are times when you receive a knife and you are immediately smitten, you put away the knife you currently had in your pocket and the one you just unboxed goes straight in as a replacement (after a fair amount of CF & CE, of course, as they say).

This Pemberton would fit in the latter case. It is indeed minuscule but its lines are so graceful, its weight is substantial but pleasing, and everything about it just speaks quality. The deep blue of the bone kind of draws you in and the smoothness of its odd jigging makes for a rather effective worry stone (if one is into such things).

HmiihvK.jpg

Pros:
  • Overall F&F is just simply sublime. Smooth, tight, and almost seamless. Truly a diminutive work of art.
  • I was initially concerned that I would receive one of these with washed out dye (a problem I've seen with GEC's bone as of late) but I was very pleased to see this bone sporting the deep blue I was hoping for. Just excellent.
  • Blades are both nicely centered and sport a very comfortable 5-6 pull on both blades with terrific snap.
  • The Shield is just perfect and though I have a preference for bomb, badge/federal shields, the Tidioute suits this knife very well.
Cons:
  • I really see nothing wrong with this knife. If I were to nitpick, I would mention the unremarkable jigging but honestly, the knife is so small and it feels so nice in the hand, that I likely will never notice it as a problem.

Overall, a terrific effort by GEC and I look forward to the Northfield version soon as well as a possible Templar (which would be my first Acrylic if the standby converts).

Now for some pictures (please note the first picture as it provides some size comparison with a couple of 14s, the difference is considerable):

XBfAAmJ.jpg

hgY3HtB.jpg

6TMADtI.jpg

Glamour shot:

MKj3czp.jpg
Wow you got a really nice example of that blue bone...stunning!

Initial impression:

HmiihvK.jpg

Pros:
Cons:

XBfAAmJ.jpg

hgY3HtB.jpg

6TMADtI.jpg

Glamour shot:

MKj3czp.jpg
Oh, my, that bone is such a deep cobalt blue. It's gorgeous!

Wow you got a really nice example of that blue bone...stunning!

Oh, my, that bone is such a deep cobalt blue. It's gorgeous!

Thanks, Darren and r8shell! I can't tell you how worried I was about getting one that was washed out. After receiving my recent Blood Red 85 and seeing some others represented here, I was legitimately concerned. Needless to say, I am very pleased with this one.

If I'm paying Northfield prices, I want my Northfield trim!! :D

Pinched bolsters for me.
And naturally, by the time I place my order, all he had remaining were the smooth bolsters :mad:

Maybe I'll be able to trade for a pinched bolster version.

Just got this stag in the mail and did a little comparison shot with its non fraternal twin. Really like the stag on this guy. The thickness is even and a little swelled which is perfect for a small knife. That makes it feel a tad better in hand than the coyote. Overall very pleased.

zjFEQyS.jpg

I opted to go with the regular Northfield trim. I didn't know if the smooth bolsters would still be pinched. If they were, I would have been inclined to try for the oddity. That said, the Northfield trim looks awesome with that white bone and shield so I stuck with that choice.

Back