2019 John White MS Memorial BEST BOWIE Thread - Vote NOW for Finalists!

Good morning Bladeforums - Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all from Lorien and myself, your co-hosts of this event.

I'll start once again by thanking this terrific forum community for keeping this event alive. Absent your participation, contribution and enthusiasm, this thread simply does not exist. And I am very pleased that we can do this in memory of a man who was a maker of great bowies, an even better friend, and an active member of this forum community.

The rules are no doubt well known to all by now, but a recap for anyone new to the event:

What types of knives are included?

This thread is about celebrating the quality and diversity of the genre, and the talented bladesmiths and knifemakers who have kept the bowie alive. This is NOT an attempt to conclusively define the bowie knife in either historic or contemporary terms. While I appreciate that people have strong feelings on the subject, no-one is in possession of a conclusive, exhaustive and universally-accepted definition. As with all past years, bowies, fighters, camp knives and generally any fixed blade that meets the size requirements are welcome to be included amongst the nominees. Both stock removal and forged blades are equally welcome. Daggers are excluded, as are Khukris and traditional Tantos.

Requirements are:

1) Blade length 6" and up.

2) Knife must have been made or first shown on Bladeforums in 2019.

3) Must be a custom knife.

PLEASE DO: number each knife in each post, starting with the number 1. And if you can, say a bit about WHAT you like about your nominees.

PLEASE DO NOT quote earlier posts and reproduce the images contained therein (this really messes up the voting for finalists). By all means share your thoughts, but don't replicate an image that has already been posted.

Nominate as many as you like! You needn't personally own or have made the knives you nominate.

Here are a few to get the ball rolling.]

1. Russ Andrews Rio Grande Bowie With a 12" damascus blade, drool-worthy stag handle and Russ' other-worldly level of fit an finish, what's not to love? Only that it's not mine.

orig.jpg

2. Bud Richards If you think I have a thing for stag and damascus, you're not wrong. Bid made a beauty here.

orig.jpg

3. Wess Barnhill Walnut Recurve Classy and clean. A loooong clip, gentle recurve and gorgeous walnut handle already elevate this piece. Then the engraving elevates it even further. (Naturally, only the big knife from this pair is up for consideration)

orig.jpg

4. Sam Lurquin Fullered Fighter I expect we'll see some big and bold offerings from Sam - but his small and bold offerings are not to be overlooked! Sam packs a lot of drama into this compact piece.

orig.jpg

5. Matt Roberts Damascus Southwest This one could serve as the pictorial definition of the term Bowie. 12" of broad, badass blade and a gorgeous Koa handle that provides a perfect ergonomic grip. Ready for mayhem.

orig.jpg

#1- this piece by Kevin Klein....
osRaajT.png

#2- Gnome Ranger- Adam Desrosiers/Loriendesign collaboration...
Te4P5EG.jpg

#3- Shawn McIntyre...
cMKcNLE.jpg

#4- Andrew Meers...
wdPUk6i.png

#5- Ron Appleby...
JIerVaW.jpg

Last edited:
I will put some of mine in the ring!
orig.jpg

This one is my most unusual take on a D guard to date! Fossil walrus ivory, 12" of coppwer etched random damascus, wrought iron fittings.
orig.jpg

Next up is this monster, also a 12" blade of copper etched random Damascus, wrought iron fittings
orig.jpg

Last is this one with fossil walrus ivory and scrim by Linda Karst Stone, 11" random damascus blade, wrought iron fittings

Thanks folks - beautiful knives! Please roust your blade brothers and sisters from their holiday stupor and tell them to get their nominations in! :D

#1 Erik Markman....always wonderful and precise.
medium800.jpg

#’s 2, 3, and 4....Matt Roberts stunning work, also as evidenced in Roger’s post. All are stunning but that mortised Sheep Horn- handled monster is amazing!
medium800.jpg

#5 Last but by no means least is this marvel of ergonomics by Sam Lurquin....the rest goes without saying.
medium800.jpg

This is maybe the most viewed / participated thread of the year.....I look forward to it more than any other.
Others do as well.....

We need some action here. This thread may need some professional help.

Dudley, I have TWO individual images of your trio of Bowies by Matt Roberts which deserve FAR better visualization. For example.

Guys: LMK if appropriate to post selections. Because I've been displaying images mainly this year on IG, they aren't as quickly found.

Dudley, I have TWO individual images of your trio of Bowies by Matt Roberts which deserve FAR better visualization. For example.

Guys: LMK if appropriate to post selections. Because I've been displaying images mainly this year on IG, they aren't as quickly found.

I think the more pro photos the better. Each entry should look its best. Plus, better for drooling over.

Coop - by all means hit us with a few entries to jump start some momentum, then add more over the next day or so.

I’m loving the pics but regretfully I have nothing too submit this year. The last two years have been big Japanese inspired blades for me and folders

regardless my photobucket account is on the fritz

I’m anxious to see all the submissions come in .....there are some great blades pictured above

Back