2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
ruNUcYK.jpg

Well. I voted for the Buck. It’d be nice to see a stacked leather handle, but I know that’s for a later discussion if it should win. When I first saw the 86 I thought it’d be a no-brainer, until I caught the part about a single sheepsfoot blade. While I like them on my stockman knives, I don’t think I’d care for that as my only option.

Easy decision for me. None of them appeal, so I'll abstain from the polls and buy one of whatever wins to keep the collection complete.

I voted for the Buck 192 Vangard. We haven't had a fixed blade for a BF knife and I think it would be a great addition to the BF Annual Knife group.

I didn't vote for the GEC, not because it's a GEC but because I've had my fill of Clip Blades with Sheepfoot Blades whether they be on the same end or opposing end. Last years BF knife had a clip blade and a sheepfoot blade on opposing ends. Let's get some variety in this years knife.

The Fox knife would be great but as I said; I'd prefer a fixed blade this year.

And then there's the problem of shipping to overseas members which may affect the GEC or Fox choices. That problem can probably be over come but what happens if at the end of all the polls, the handling dealer/manufacture can't or won't ship overseas?

A big THANKS to all who are working these knives this year.

I voted for the Buck 192 Vangard. We haven't had a fixed blade for a BF knife and I think it would be a great addition to the BF Annual Knife group.

I didn't vote for the GEC, not because it's a GEC but because I've had my fill of Clip Blades with Sheepfoot Blades whether they be on the same end or opposing end. Last years BF knife had a clip blade and a sheepfoot blade on opposing ends. Let's get some variety in this years knife.

The Fox knife would be great but as I said; I'd prefer a fixed blade this year.

And then there's the problem of shipping to overseas members which may affect the GEC or Fox choices. That problem can probably be over come but what happens if at the end of all the polls, the handling dealer/manufacture can't or won't ship overseas?

A big THANKS to all who are working these knives this year.
Ed, it's a sheepsfoot offered for this frame on the #86. I'm sure it won't sway your vote any though. Man that Buck Vanguard would be a cool edition....hmmmm

These are all three fine options! Thanks for the Forum moderators and our two Dealers for making this happen, yet again.

I'm still deliberating as to my vote, however. . .

Buck is my favorite brand, but I'm going with the 86 on this one. I wouldn't use a fixed blade that size too often and a single blade sheepsfoot in wood or jigged bone is something that would make me extremely happy :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind of hard to vote for the #86 when covers and finish aren’t determined.

I can see this working well as a Tidioute hard use style knife, perhaps with cocobolo or ebony covers. Or an older look such as antique ivory sawcut bone. No end cap. No shield.

Alternatively, it could be done blinged up as a Northfield, with finely jigged bone and lined bolsters. Like the recent Cripple Creek 14s.

My concern (which admittedly can be overcome with some selection of voting options) is that if #86 wins and goes to the polls, we end up with compromises all the way and a ho hum outcome.

Last edited:

Single Sheepfoot as noted in description and corrected in some posts already.

This is only a problem until someone spends a few moments thought resolving it. Most international customers already have re-shippers, whether personal or commercial. But for those that don't I am sure we can find a good soul or two to forward the packages on. GEC will probably ship them for us. But I don't see any sense in ironing out the details that make no difference; especially before a selection. But also don't see any sense in making it some insurmountable assumption either.

Ed, it's a sheepsfoot offered for this frame on the #86. I'm sure it won't sway your vote any though. Man that Buck Vanguard would be a cool edition....hmmmm

Yes, I know it's a sheepfoot/sheepsfoot offered on the 86 along with a clip blade and they're both on the same end. Last years knife has a sheepsfoot/sheepfoot blade with a clip blade on opposing ends.

Further, I think the GEC knife being proposed will be $100.00 + which will eliminate some members from buying one.

Kind of hard to vote for the #86 when covers and finish aren’t determined.
My concern is that if #86 wins and goes to the polls, we end up with compromises all the way and a ho hum option.

Agreed, GEC does have some rules pertaining to finishing in relation to brand. For example, if anyone has their heart set on a canvas micarta Northfield, vote elsewhere.

Yes, I know it's a sheepfoot/sheepsfoot offered on the 86 along with a clip blade and they're both on the same end. Last years knife has a sheepsfoot/sheepfoot blade with a clip blade on opposing ends.

Further, I think the GEC knife being proposed will be $100.00 + which will eliminate some members from buying one.

Read it one more time. Single Sheepfoot.
Doubtful a single blade will top $100; but you may be right :thumbsdown: :D

Ok. I was a bit confused - nothing new. Frank's picture of the 86 shows both a clip blade and sheepsfoot blade on the knives in the picture. I went back and looked and Frank did say "single sheep foot blade.

Still don't like the sheepsfoot blade option as we've had them on some past BF knives.​

Why is the sheepfoot the only blade option for the 86?
Uniqueness? The BF tang stamp makes it unique regardless of blade shape or covers.
I thought things like blades were decided by the community via poll.
I personally am tired of all the sheepfeet on the annual forum knives.(the last 4 had 'em iirc)
Give us the option to vote on it please.
The Fox looks perfect imo and I voted for it, but who knows what the quality/F&F/ would be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back