2020 GEC #23 Trapper Thread

Great shot! I've got the same variant headed my way, and your post multiplies my excitement by 100x!
Thank you! These are fantastic users as well as being easy to look at. They also carry easily, IMO, in the back pocket. It took very little effort to get it scary sharp, and used it to process a couple of pheasants on opening day of our season. You will not be dissapointed :)

Thank you! These are fantastic users as well as being easy to look at. They also carry easily, IMO, in the back pocket. It took very little effort to get it scary sharp, and used it to process a couple of pheasants on opening day of our season. You will not be dissapointed :)
my Northfield 2 blade trapper came right before deer season. I looked at the blades and they seemed sharp enough out of the box. Shot a buck and managed to field dress it with the main blade but my problems started when I hung it up. Neither blade was sharp enough to be useful for skinning. I finished the job with a fixed blade from Lucas Forge. Lesson learned, always touch up factory edges before trying to use them for anything serious.

I love everything about this! Stoked!!

I was just informed by my dealer that all of the Northfield 23 Bullet LL have not been made yet .

Harry

Drop ppint or Spey?
I'm really liking the spey myself.
UW13Ymc.jpg
nZ8BBB6.jpg

Last edited:
PA rifle season came to a close yesterday. My 23 performed flawlessly. The 23 handled multiple deer this year. My own as well as hunting partner's. The shape and thickness of the scales I find preferable when field dressing when you can't really see your knife. A thin knife is perfect for pocket carry. But a knife with more purchase is better for me at these type tasks. I set the edge to 20 degrees and all I can say is, 4 deer and only a little stopping and it is still razor sharp. You can see some of the smaller game that the 23 can handle in my previous post above. Here is what she is looking like and what she can do.
20201213_080136.jpg
20201213_082150.jpg

It handled this one quite well. My buddies at the farm.

imagejpeg.jpg

Yesterday afternoon hunt on the farm. We filled doe tags. It performed well without even needing touched up. Let's just say we have a doe problem....but 4 less today.

20201213_082848.jpg

Happy holidays everyone, and if you choose to use these knives for what they are intended, you will find them a pleasure.

@glennbad
@anthonycastorena2014
K Kiteman72

Awesome pics, Josh! Looks like you had a pretty darn good season, congratulations!

I bet that 23 got a lot of admiring looks. :)

I've been meaning to update the Hunting GAW thread but have been too lazy. Might do another in January or something.

I added to my 23 assortment today - I went from only having one to now having two! :D

I had been wanting to pick up the bullet shield variants ever since I saw they were being made. I missed the boat - repeatedly - on the LL version but I was able to get a hold of the 2-blade version when a fellow member here made it available to me (though I think these ones are still available on some shelves out there).

I like the LL version of the 23 quite a bit - it is a large knife with a nice thin blade and I can carry comfortably in the pocket. Once you master the lock/half stop configuration, it is a wonderful knife in an incredibly useful size.

The 2-blade version is exceptional in its own way. It's a bit of a brick to carry in the pocket so I might make up a belt sheath for it but otherwise, it is pretty perfect in every way. If I can find some new hunting grounds next season (all of mine burnt up this last summer), this knife will be an excellent companion. Long thin blades that will make quick work of a lot of hunting/camping tasks so I am very pleased to have this one in the collection.

I would still like to find a LL version of the Bullet Shield 23 - I think it will be a better everyday kind of knife - but in the meantime, I am certainly going to enjoy this one.

FoPsB2A.jpg

3zfLU6Y.jpg

I wanted to take a bit of a deeper dive with regards to the Pioneer Trapper. When this knife was first announced, I was rather uninterested - it was too big, had two full sized blades (one of which was a spey), and reports of the stiff action were a bit off-putting.

However, since acquiring one and either carrying it with me about the house or fiddling with it while I've been at my desk, I have come to the conclusion that this is likely one of the finest knives that GEC has produced this year. Up until this point, I had placed the M&G Trapper on that lofty pedestal and though I still think it is one of GEC's best, there are some minor issues that easily caused it to cede its position to this #23.

Allow me to elaborate some.

Ygqbu0S.jpg

My first impression of the knife was that it was big, heavy, and not particularly well suited to everyday use - as an outdoor knife, it would be certainly hard to beat, however. The more that I examined it though, the more that I scrutinized the details, marveled at the fit and finish, and admired the excellent blade grinds - the more I begin to realize how much I've missed GEC's typical attention to detail with regards to some of their more recent runs.

Everything is tight, flush, and immaculate. You can see some patina already happening with my handling.

mQsNGVi.jpg

This is a neat feature - tangs are flush with bolsters when in the closed position. I am not sure if this is a common feature (not in my collection, anyway) and I am not certain if there is a official term for it either. It is nice nonetheless and the transitions are smooth.

hWJsyit.jpg

I am not one to complain about the springs not being flush at the half stop. I don't find it impactful when it comes to the knife design one way or the other but I do acknowledge that it is a sign of superior craftsmanship. GEC doesn't typically nail this particular feature and I own very few that could even be considered close. This #23 nails it though and the springs remain flush in all three positions.

1ntUYUT.jpg

One of my favorite aesthetic elements on this knife is the UN-X-LD Bullet shield. It is very finely inlet (and pinned) and is very striking when paired with the bone covers and the pattern it adorns.

1ah7vuv.jpg

Speaking of jigging - I feel they did this knife a huge service with the classic look that the jigging pattern and bone color conveys. Good rich color, excellent jigging coverage and depth, and great fitment to the knife.

wZyMvk3.jpg

I am not one who is typically a fan of spey blades but the large one that this Trapper sports is one heck of a slicer and I suspect it will get a lot of use. The thin grinds and excellent edges are going to make this knife a user that will be very hard to beat - especially in a more rugged setting than my home.

HxJQSvi.jpg

Despite its seemingly overall perfection, I do have one criticism. The point of the spey blade is a bit proud of the well - I can catch a fingernail on it. An easily remedied problem but one that is pretty common with GECs nonetheless.

d0EWorT.jpg

Overall, this is an exceptional knife and one of a quality that GEC should aspire to regularly. Though some will find the stout pulls and hearty snap to be a bit troubling, I think such features suit the knife and make it an exceptional and rugged user that is suitable for whatever tasks you might toss at it.

Well done, GEC. I hope to see more of this quality going into the new year.

Sláinte!

yVhqYgW.jpg

I wanted to take a bit of a deeper dive with regards to the Pioneer Trapper. When this knife was first announced, I was rather uninterested - it was too big, had two full sized blades (one of which was a spey), and reports of the stiff action were a bit off-putting.

However, since acquiring one and either carrying it with me about the house or fiddling with it while I've been at my desk, I have come to the conclusion that this is likely one of the finest knives that GEC has produced this year. Up until this point, I had placed the M&G Trapper on that lofty pedestal and though I still think it is one of GEC's best, there are some minor issues that easily caused it to cede its position to this #23.

Allow me to elaborate some.

Ygqbu0S.jpg

My first impression of the knife was that it was big, heavy, and not particularly well suited to everyday use - as an outdoor knife, it would be certainly hard to beat, however. The more that I examined it though, the more that I scrutinized the details, marveled at the fit and finish, and admired the excellent blade grinds - the more I begin to realize how much I've missed GEC's typical attention to detail with regards to some of their more recent runs.

Everything is tight, flush, and immaculate. You can see some patina already happening with my handling.

mQsNGVi.jpg

This is a neat feature - tangs are flush with bolsters when in the closed position. I am not sure if this is a common feature (not in my collection, anyway) and I am not certain if there is a official term for it either. It is nice nonetheless and the transitions are smooth.

hWJsyit.jpg

I am not one to complain about the springs not being flush at the half stop. I don't find it impactful when it comes to the knife design one way or the other but I do acknowledge that it is a sign of superior craftsmanship. GEC doesn't typically nail this particular feature and I own very few that could even be considered close. This #23 nails it though and the springs remain flush in all three positions.

1ntUYUT.jpg

One of my favorite aesthetic elements on this knife is the UN-X-LD Bullet shield. It is very finely inlet (and pinned) and is very striking when paired with the bone covers and the pattern it adorns.

1ah7vuv.jpg

Speaking of jigging - I feel they did this knife a huge service with the classic look that the jigging pattern and bone color conveys. Good rich color, excellent jigging coverage and depth, and great fitment to the knife.

wZyMvk3.jpg

I am not one who is typically a fan of spey blades but the large one that this Trapper sports is one heck of a slicer and I suspect it will get a lot of use. The thin grinds and excellent edges are going to make this knife a user that will be very hard to beat - especially in a more rugged setting than my home.

HxJQSvi.jpg

Despite its seemingly overall perfection, I do have one criticism. The point of the spey blade is a bit proud of the well - I can catch a fingernail on it. An easily remedied problem but one that is pretty common with GECs nonetheless.

d0EWorT.jpg

Overall, this is an exceptional knife and one of a quality that GEC should aspire to regularly. Though some will find the stout pulls and hearty snap to be a bit troubling, I think such features suit the knife and make it an exceptional and rugged user that is suitable for whatever tasks you might toss at it.

Well done, GEC. I hope to see more of this quality going into the new year.

Sláinte!

yVhqYgW.jpg
Excellent review, always enjoy your perspective, not to mention the fantastic as usual pics. It's also one of my favorite GECs of my small collection20201115_082758_copy_612x816.jpg edited to add that this may or may not be a recycled pic

At first I didn’t purchase a 23 because of the strong pull being reported, mainly the 2 blades but when a few members reported the single blade LL were not that bad I tried to get one. When it arrived I was disappointed because the lock had so many issues. I did a review awhile back, GEC shop junk was affecting the lock and after flushing and working it in this knife is a gem. I really like the red tail jig bone and with the bullet shield it can’t get any better. I’ve only carried it a few times and a few weeks backs I found another red tail. Didn’t think I would purchase 1 but now I have 2. Not sure I’ll keep both but I’m glad I did for now. :thumbsup:

Excellent review, always enjoy your perspective, not to mention the fantastic as usual pics. It's also one of my favorite GECs of my small collectionView attachment 1478694 edited to add that this may or may not be a recycled pic

Thank you! Recycled or not, that is a wonderful picture. I am going to be adding to my own patina soon enough.

At first I didn’t purchase a 23 because of the strong pull being reported, mainly the 2 blades but when a few members reported the single blade LL were not that bad I tried to get one. When it arrived I was disappointed because the lock had so many issues. I did a review awhile back, GEC shop junk was affecting the lock and after flushing and working it in this knife is a gem. I really like the red tail jig bone and with the bullet shield it can’t get any better. I’ve only carried it a few times and a few weeks backs I found another red tail. Didn’t think I would purchase 1 but now I have 2. Not sure I’ll keep both but I’m glad I did for now. :thumbsup:

I think the Redtail Jigged Bone is the best of the run. I enjoy my LL in Mesquite but I am hoping to find a LL in the Redtail Jigged at some point - it will be nice to have a pair like yourself.

I agree the Redtail is the best non SFO, being from Texas I wanted a Mesquite but oh well you can’t win them all plus I’m happy with my Redtail.

being from Texas I wanted a Mesquite
I think we have too much mesquite as it is. I have picked many a thorn out of my arms from cuttin line through it, bois d'arc and locust. I'm just glad when I do a survey now its with a mouse in hand and not a machete.

Last edited:
Back