2020 GEC #23 Trapper Thread

Great Eastern Cutlery has Antique Autumn natural bone #23LL scales on the production line. I thought they looked more like Goldenrod Camel bone #23LL scales. Looks like the second batch of Northfields is going to "ROCK".

Last edited:
Great Eastern Cutlery has Antique Autumn natural bone #23LL scales on the production line. I thought they look more like Goldenrod Camel bone #23LL scales. Looks like the second batch of Northfields is going to "ROCK".
This is very exciting as i love my goldenrod camel bones! I cant find the pics tho, is anyone able to post them here??

So most of you all have seen my "special" 23 LL. I'm going to start putting an edge on it tonight. I use a Lansky and progress from extra course diamonds into Arkansas black. This takes much time, so I have a question for the group. I just sharpened @Kiteman72 's 23 that is in his giveaway thread. Most GECs seem to work good from my set up on the 30 degree setting. I sharpened Kiteman72 's at the 25 setting and feel it could have even been finer. Maybe I'll do mine at 20 degree, but I'd like to hear your thoughts first. These knife blades are so thin, a low angle doesn't seem to be as extreme as you would become overly obvious in a thick fixed blade. Just need some guide here. Here is the knife:

20200901_145509.jpg

So most of you all have seen my "special" 23 LL. I'm going to start putting an edge on it tonight. I use a Lansky and progress from extra course diamonds into Arkansas black. This takes much time, so I have a question for the group. I just sharpened @Kiteman72 's 23 that is in his giveaway thread. Most GECs seem to work good from my set up on the 30 degree setting. I sharpened Kiteman72 's at the 25 setting and feel it could have even been finer. Maybe I'll do mine at 20 degree, but I'd like to hear your thoughts first. These knife blades are so thin, a low angle doesn't seem to be as extreme as you would become overly obvious in a thick fixed blade. Just need some guide here. Here is the knife:

View attachment 1426863

I assume the numbers you mention are degrees per side (dps), rather than inclusive of both bevels. 20 dps sounds good to me. If you’re talking 20 degrees inclusive, or 10 dps, that is a lot shallower than I would take it, personally.

I assume the numbers you mention are degrees per side (dps), rather than inclusive of both bevels. 20 dps sounds good to me. If you’re talking 20 degrees inclusive, or 10 dps, that is a lot shallower than I would take it, personally.
You'll have to forgive my ignorance. I'm not sure. The Lansky has 15, 20, 25 and 30 holes up the jig. Ill have to get my protractor out to see what those are actually indicating. Thank you for the feedback!

View attachment 1426863
Rockon, I sharpen my 23's on the Lansky at 20 and then put a 25 micro bevel on. Has worked well for me thus far.
Bob

Looks like these Northfield 23LLs finally rolled out!
wpNNxe8.jpg

Hi trapper fans, This is my first medium trapper I ever made an it came out pretty good, not perfect but real close , you be the judge ? 31/2” closed CPM-154 steel at 60 rockwell final heat treat in what I like the best yellow amber catalina jigged bone. This knife was sold , to make a similar one like this would be $375.00 delievered to lower 48. Comment please if you want. Thanks ,Joe PS I thought this was a Traditional Trapper Thread ! I typed that and got Gec -sorry for intrusion.

Attachments

• DSCN6737.jpg
    DSCN6737.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN6743.jpg
    DSCN6743.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN6747.jpg
    DSCN6747.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN6753.jpg
    DSCN6753.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN6764.jpg
    DSCN6764.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN6765.jpg
    DSCN6765.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN6767.jpg
    DSCN6767.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN6761.jpg
    DSCN6761.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
CKs has (3 different) two blade #23 Trappers in stock. I bought my second GEC#23 Beaver gnawed jigged cherry-wood #23. I bought an Italian leather magnetic slip and I use my bonus points too.

View attachment 1426863

Finally a slow, cool, wet-evening to get a hunting edge on this thing of beauty!!

20201016_172919.jpg

Back