2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

My Ironwood reserve through my favorite dealer was $103 shipped. I have no issue at all paying that price for it. I just hope she's a good example and has some character.

Yep, same. It should be here Saturday. My Burlap is waiting patiently at home, I can't wait to have it in hand! These are the two I wanted, and am passing on the other two.

Not a big deal, but the spring sits pretty well proud on my example at the half stop position I just noticed. And the show side bolster was scuffed up pretty badly. It’s going to be a user anyways. I retract my previous statement over it being perfect. Still a great user though.

I don't think I have a single GEC with half stops that doesn't sit a bit proud at said half stop. I have a couple that are pretty darn close to flush but I can still catch a nail on it - it isn't one of those things that I find bothersome as it has no impact on the quality or function. Someone, somewhere down the line, determined that a knife being flush at the half stop is a mark of a quality build. I disagree but that's just me...

Also, satin finishes on bolsters/shields is a big pet peeve of mine with GEC. I find them obnoxious and unnecessary and particularly prone to serious scuffing.

Now that my opinions are out of the way...

Nice knife ;)

I don't think I have a single GEC with half stops that doesn't sit a bit proud at said half stop. I have a couple that are pretty darn close to flush but I can still catch a nail on it - it isn't one of those things that I find bothersome as it has no impact on the quality or function. Someone, somewhere down the line, determined that a knife being flush at the half stop is a mark of a quality build. I disagree but that's just me...

Also, satin finishes on bolsters/shields is a big pet peeve of mine with GEC. I find them obnoxious and unnecessary and particularly prone to serious scuffing.

Now that my opinions are out of the way...

Nice knife ;)
Thanks Dylan! It is very nice indeed and will be a great user. Just some of my pet peeves as well! :D

nice trio you have, the brown burlap micarta does look good on all of them :thumbsup:

Dan, I certainly agree with you about the pricing. A good many of these (as with any GEC these days) are bought simply to turn a profit, and I'd just as soon see the dealers, who depend on profits for their livelihood, make the extra money.

I also agree with Dylan about the satin bolster finishes: I hate 'em. Ironwood is one of my favorite handle materials, and I've tried a couple different ones but ended up selling them all because of the hideous bolsters. I don't mind having to sharpen a new knife, but having to sand and polish the bolsters is going too far.

My two are fresh out of the tube. Initial impressions are great. The burlap is so nice. Perfectly flush everywhere. Nice snap but easy enough. Not a hint of wiggle. I'm surprised at how light it is.

The color on the plum bone is really well done. I haven't tried licking it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was grape candy. This one has a bit of grit to the action, but I'm sure if would go away quickly with use.

Overall very impressed with these.

This one has a bit of grit to the action, but I'm sure if would go away quickly with use.

My plum was pretty smooth out of the tube. No gritty feeling at all. I decided to go ahead and flush it some, "just because".
I was surprised at how much blackened oil I got from it. I exercised it until the oil stayed clear.... and I just THOUGHT it was smooth before. It's like purple butter now.. just an excellent knife.

8bRZu4u.jpg

If this is what we can expect from the Tidioute line in the post SFO era, it will take some of the sting out of it. These two are stunning.
Pull on the burlap is a 6 (needs flushed), on the BP 5.5 and smooth. Both have authoritative snap open and close.
One thing I really like on the Mustang vs the Stallion is how the straight spine of the drop point looks in the closed position, very sleek, very clean. Both will be excellent users, BRAVO GEC.

I'm pretty excited to see all the variation in the Ironwood covers! :D

Damn Joel that's a good match on both sides of that Arizona Ironwwood, very nice looking grain, hope mine looks that good, I can't wait

Back