1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Yep, same. It should be here Saturday. My Burlap is waiting patiently at home, I can't wait to have it in hand! These are the two I wanted, and am passing on the other two.

Sharp & Fiery and Murphjd25 like this.
  2. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I don't think I have a single GEC with half stops that doesn't sit a bit proud at said half stop. I have a couple that are pretty darn close to flush but I can still catch a nail on it - it isn't one of those things that I find bothersome as it has no impact on the quality or function. Someone, somewhere down the line, determined that a knife being flush at the half stop is a mark of a quality build. I disagree but that's just me...

Also, satin finishes on bolsters/shields is a big pet peeve of mine with GEC. I find them obnoxious and unnecessary and particularly prone to serious scuffing.

Now that my opinions are out of the way...

Nice knife ;)

3. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Thanks Dylan! It is very nice indeed and will be a great user. Just some of my pet peeves as well! :D

Sharp & Fiery and Quiet like this.
  4. TexasTomcat

TexasTomcat Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 21, 2018
    141118, 922219, 745120 - I'm not a big micarta fan, but I like this burlap...trying to rain...
    1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  5. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    nice trio you have, the brown burlap micarta does look good on all of them :thumbsup:

6. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Dan, I certainly agree with you about the pricing. A good many of these (as with any GEC these days) are bought simply to turn a profit, and I'd just as soon see the dealers, who depend on profits for their livelihood, make the extra money.

I also agree with Dylan about the satin bolster finishes: I hate 'em. Ironwood is one of my favorite handle materials, and I've tried a couple different ones but ended up selling them all because of the hideous bolsters. I don't mind having to sharpen a new knife, but having to sand and polish the bolsters is going too far.

Sharp & Fiery, Travman and Half/Stop like this.
  7. Kiro

Kiro

Mar 17, 2017
    My two are fresh out of the tube. Initial impressions are great. The burlap is so nice. Perfectly flush everywhere. Nice snap but easy enough. Not a hint of wiggle. I'm surprised at how light it is.

The color on the plum bone is really well done. I haven't tried licking it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was grape candy. This one has a bit of grit to the action, but I'm sure if would go away quickly with use.

Overall very impressed with these.

Sharp & Fiery, Quiet, Jiki and 3 others like this.
  8. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    My plum was pretty smooth out of the tube. No gritty feeling at all. I decided to go ahead and flush it some, "just because".
    I was surprised at how much blackened oil I got from it. I exercised it until the oil stayed clear.... and I just THOUGHT it was smooth before. It's like purple butter now.. just an excellent knife.

Sharp & Fiery, Spaten, Jiki and 2 others like this.
  9. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    [​IMG]

If this is what we can expect from the Tidioute line in the post SFO era, it will take some of the sting out of it. These two are stunning.
    Pull on the burlap is a 6 (needs flushed), on the BP 5.5 and smooth. Both have authoritative snap open and close.
    One thing I really like on the Mustang vs the Stallion is how the straight spine of the drop point looks in the closed position, very sleek, very clean. Both will be excellent users, BRAVO GEC.

10. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    Wow, these are VERY light, I wasn’t expecting that:

[​IMG]

11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    This is only an issue for those that paid secondary prices for their knives. :D

12. JOELSM

JOELSM Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Will have Ironwood in hand within 45 min. Pics will be up before the end of day.

13. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    I'm pretty excited to see all the variation in the Ironwood covers! :D

14. JOELSM

Aug 30, 2007
    Holy smokes! It’s a knockout!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Nicely matched sides too. :cool::thumbsup:

16. JOELSM

Aug 30, 2007
    Thanks John - couldn’t be more pleased.

Sharp & Fiery, Quiet and JohnDF like this.
  17. nickvnlr

nickvnlr Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 23, 2014
    They almost look book matched. :thumbsup:

hornetguy and JOELSM like this.
  18. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Damn Joel that's a good match on both sides of that Arizona Ironwwood, very nice looking grain, hope mine looks that good, I can't wait

JOELSM likes this.
  19. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    Joel, that is working OUT, my friend. A stunner! I hope mine looks half as good.

20. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Which half? Mark or pile?;):D:D

Sharp & Fiery likes this.