• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

2021 BF Forum knife vs. Facebook & Flippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fair.

Although the person who posted that on Facebook is a member here with four posts. Three of them begging Black Mamba to sell him his 2018 BF knife at cost. Just seemed a but suspect to me. You're right about making assumptions though.

You found it odd enough to post his name and FB profile pic to this forum without actually knowing what he meant. Seems suspect to me.

Nothing wrong with selling your BF knife, as long as the rules are followed. The previous rules have been that if you sell it, you sell it for little to no markup. I see no issue with that, and those aren't the people I'm speaking of.

I'm speaking of the people who buy the knife for $100 and then turn around and sell it for $800 a few months later. Those are easy enough to track. You're correct that there aren't many people who do that. But that doesn't mean we should just let it slide imo. A few bad apples and all that jazz. It wouldn't be any more effort for the mods because I personally track it myself. It's easy enough for me to send the evidence of the marked up sells to the mods so that they can place them on the list of people banned from buying BladeForums forum knives.

And no offense... But it doesn't surprise me too much that you don't want this tracked considering you sold a GEC Waynorth 93 for $310 here on the forum like six months after they released.
Rules like “begging” people to sell a forum knife at cost? Because I swear you just impugned someone else’s character for that.

Rules like “begging” people to sell a forum knife at cost? Because I swear you just impugned someone else’s character for that.

If you have another way to characterize this, be my guest.

MZnt05S.png

foIYO6Z.png

I have time for you today.

Lol, I'm quite sure that you do. I'm growing a bit bored of conversing with you though and it's detracting from the topic, so I'm going to bow out.

I think the last thing I am interested in seeing is a BladeForums/Facebook flame war - in fact, I think it's against the rules here.

Like @AnW said a bit ago, if more folks from Facebook found cause to come over to our forums and then decide to stick around, that can certainly be a positive thing. I think many of us do have some valid concerns though but truth be told, I don't see that we need to do much other than to impose the conditions that have been levied in the past.

I was a member of the GECC FB group until a few weeks ago and as several have mentioned there are lots of folks who are members both here and there and some who are quite active in both. And obviously there are good people in both groups and probably some flippers in both groups. I left the FB group in an attempt to wean myself off social media once and for all. Hopefully, the less active BF members that have started scrambling to get their post counts up since yesterday will decide they like it here and stick around. That can only be a good thing in my mind. I hope the ones that actually want the knife to keep and use are able to get one (along with all the active members of the Porch of course).

Last fall, “that other web based knife forum” had their GEC Mustang Club knife released and folks from the several FB groups (as well as from other social media knife groups I'm sure) gobbled them up before active, contributing forum members even knew they were out. Needless to say, there were lots of hard feelings especially when the knives started showing up on the Bay. So the concern some have brought up is valid.

Having said that, the other forum didn’t have any rules in place with regards to who could buy the knives (i.e must be a member for x months with so may posts, etc). The rules that have been placed on eligibility for our forum knife the past couple years would have prevented much of that. Fortunately, it sounds like Charlie is aware of and on top of the issue and intends to give preference to active BF Porch members. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't expect there will be that much of a problem as long as eligibility rules are well thought out.

I really hope this doesn't degrade into a bunch of ill will and hard feelings between various folks and groups of people. It's just knives after all.

Hello,
I’ve seen past couple years the BF knife is managed very well from start to end. It’s in good hands. Nothing to worry.
Altho some BF knives have been flipped on the bay for 4-5 times it’s original price, it will be controlled somehow imo. BF members will find a solution, always have! It’s going to be a fun project with GEC86.
Cheers:thumbsup:

flippers dont need ebay anymore (with all the ebay- fees and taxes on both sides, buyer and seller), they opened their own FB groups solely for knife exchange/ selling, waffles and live auctions.
not long ago, buying cheap in FB groups and here in the BladeForums exchange section and selling these knives later in auctions/ waffels in the FB knife exchange group or on ebay was the way they usualy made their profit.
buying cheap in FB groups or here on BF and selling with a high profit is no longer possible (with some exceptions) because of the increasing prices, but these flippers still got the chance to buy new drops at dealer prices and sell them with high profit in waffles, live auctions on FB and on ebay.

that is what happened the last few years, its not the exception, that is the new normality.

its a jungle out there :)

Last edited:
I really hope this doesn't degrade into a bunch of ill will and hard feelings between various folks and groups of people. It's just knives after all.
Curmudgeonly grumbling about the forum knife is a Porch tradition!

buying cheap in FB groups or here on BF and selling with a high profit is no longer possible (with some exceptions) because auf the increasing prices, but these flippers still got the chance to buy new drops at dealer prices and sell them with high profit in waffles, live auctions on FB and on ebay.

that is what happened the last few years, its not the exception, that is the new normality.

its a jungle out there
And that's why some folks are pushing back when it looks like the forum knife might be bought and sold like other knives in high demand. We depend on volunteers to do the planning, organizing, shipping, etc. so it's unseemly to see someone else dive in to profit when the folks doing the work are not allowed (by Spark's rules) to profit.
I think many of us do have some valid concerns though but truth be told, I don't see that we need to do much other than to impose the conditions that have been levied in the past.

I agree. As long as we regular forum participants don't get shut out from buying (which I don't believe will happen) I'm not going to stress too much about it. The mods have a "no-knife-for-you!" list that may grow by a few names every year, and the system seems to work, for the most part. I'm thinking, though... it looks like we're getting a Barlow without a bolster stamp; it would be neat if each one were engraved with the member's forum name. :p

Would be fun to see how some will scramble just to get the knife in the first place! :)
Next would be the chasing/catching of the flippers.... whoever they might be.

BF+GEC is a hard to get knife, then those trying to benefit from the hard work of members should not expect to go unnoticed, but will be identified and informed on the forum, imo.

BTW, that’s a cool avatar you got:cool:

flippers dont need ebay anymore (with all the ebay- fees and taxes on both sides, buyer and seller), they opened their own FB groups solely for knife exchange/ selling, waffles and live auctions.
not long ago, buying cheap in FB groups and here in the BladeForums exchange section and selling these knives later in auctions/ waffels in the FB knife exchange group or on ebay was the way they usualy made their profit.
buying cheap in FB groups or here on BF and selling with a high profit is no longer possible (with some exceptions) because auf the increasing prices, but these flippers still got the chance to buy new drops at dealer prices and sell them with high profit in waffles, live auctions on FB and on ebay.

its a jungle out there :)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with selling your BF knife, as long as the rules are followed. The previous rules have been that if you sell it, you sell it for little to no markup. I see no issue with that, And no offense... But it doesn't surprise me too much that you don't want this tracked considering you sold a GEC Waynorth 93 for $310 here on the forum like six months after they released.
Imagine that.
Not even close.

They’re mostly in this thread. I have time for you today.

:rolleyes:

The forum is a community first. I think maybe you missed that part, and are kinda getting off on the wrong foot friend.

At any rate, welcome to BladeForums, and I look forward to reading your content and seeing pictures of your knives.

:rolleyes:

The forum is a community first. I think maybe you missed that part, and are kinda getting off on the wrong foot friend.

At any rate, welcome to BladeForums, and I look forward to reading your content and seeing pictures of your knives.

Nice to meet you as well. I do understand community. And a friend of mine from the knife collecting community was rather rudely accused by Fixall, in this thread, of doing something he had no intention of doing. Fixall doubled down and I got upset. One thing about communities is the doors swing both ways, and I do see what fixall did as an overstep and awfully unwelcoming. Luckily communities can be greater than the sum of their parts and there’s plenty of good folks to smooth over the rough edges.

Nothing wrong with selling your BF knife, as long as the rules are followed. The previous rules have been that if you sell it, you sell it for little to no markup. I see no issue with that, and those aren't the people I'm speaking of.

I'm speaking of the people who buy the knife for $100 and then turn around and sell it for $800 a few months later. Those are easy enough to track. You're correct that there aren't many people who do that. But that doesn't mean we should just let it slide imo. A few bad apples and all that jazz. It wouldn't be any more effort for the mods because I personally track it myself. It's easy enough for me to send the evidence of the marked up sells to the mods so that they can place them on the list of people banned from buying BladeForums forum knives.

The point is, once a knife has been sold by the original buyer, it belongs to somebody else who might sell it for much more on ebay and then some Bladeforums Batman dude like sees it and the number and reports the original buyer as a dirty flipper.

And no offense... But it doesn't surprise me too much that you don't want this tracked considering you sold a GEC Waynorth 93 for $310 here on the forum like six months after they released.

If you don't mean to offend then what is the purpose of this comment?

I'm not ashamed of selling the knife for what I sold it for. The person that bought it was happy to pay that for it. I have sold a lot of knives both here and on FB groups. Go through the ones I sold here and see what they sold for.

I did not buy that Waynorth 93 to flip it. Early in 2020 when Covid started getting bad I got pretty depressed and worried I was going to die of Covid and leave my wife with a bunch of expensive knives she wouldn't know what to do with and sold most of them off. I sold them for what I figured market rate was. Nobody complained about the prices and most people thanked me for selling them hard to get GECs.

I usually sell for what I bought if it's a newer knife, often losing money on shipping. You found the one that I made a few dollars on. I am not going to apologize for not selling it for 100 bucks or whatever you think I should have sold it for. $300 is what those were selling for all over the place. I work for an hourly wage and wasn't about to sell it to some stranger for $100 just so they could turn around and sell it for $300, which is probably what would have happened if I had.

I have helped people with finding knives they were looking for and sold/traded knives for good prices to many people. You insinuating I'm a flipper because you have this bee in your bonnet is your personal problem.

I've sold plenty of knives on BF, most of which fund future purchases.

I see knives show up for resale, at 2-3x retail, the same day they drop. I don't consider selling a knife after 6 months to be flipping.

If the value has gone up and someone wants the knife for that price, it's between the seller and purchaser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back