2021 Forum Knife FAQ's

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a great thread . . . just not sure how much help it will be buried on page 2 or 3.
Itā€™s kind of funny to see all of the posts from people that have never purchased a forum knife in the past. Iā€™m no expert (I have only bought the past three and, hopefully, a fourth this year), but I would just say, ā€œBe patient, watch for the purchasing thread, and donā€™t dawdle when it shows up.ā€ Typically, some people who posted in the count thread drop out for one reason or another and those will go to folks who missed the count thread altogether.

One issue I am curious about is how international sales will be handled. In 2019, GEC shipped them directly for a nominal ($10?) fee. I hope that will also be the case this year.
"Typically, some people who posted in the count thread drop out for one reason or another and those will go to folks who missed the count thread altogether."

The count thread is just a count thread to estimate demand. AFAIK, it doesn't give anyone any priority. It sure didn't say that it did. There will be a completely separate sign up thread, and then there will be carnage, and then The Powers That Be will sort it all out. If I'm wrong, I'm sure The Powers That Be will enlighten us.

Itā€™s kind of funny to see all of the posts from people that have never purchased a forum knife in the past. Iā€™m no expert (I have only bought the past three and, hopefully, a fourth this year), but I would just say, ā€œBe patient, watch for the purchasing thread, and donā€™t dawdle when it shows up.ā€ Typically, some people who posted in the count thread drop out for one reason or another and those will go to folks who missed the count thread altogether.

One issue I am curious about is how international sales will be handled. In 2019, GEC shipped them directly for a nominal ($10?) fee. I hope that will also be the case this
Watching!

Edit: @r8shell brings up a great point, so Iā€™ll quote her here:

Unverified statistic: 3 million people a day ask the same half dozen questions about the forum knife.
Unverified statistic: 3 million people haven't been reading the forums close enough to know how redundant their questions are.

So let's have a FAQ, shall we? I hope waynorth waynorth and meako meako will forgive me if I'm overstepping here.

What is the forum knife going to be?
A Great Eastern Cutlery #86 Barlow with a 1095 carbon steel clip point blade and "hemlock green" saw cut bone scales.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...wn-tone-for-sawcut-bone.1795830/post-20719737
The original mock up (prior to selection of handle choices) is here:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...wn-tone-for-sawcut-bone.1795830/post-20690773

Do I qualify to order a forum knife?
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ead-post-1-read-the-last-post-please.1787281/

How much is the knife going to cost?
Unknown as of yet, but from Charlie himself:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...wn-tone-for-sawcut-bone.1795830/post-20704534

When are we expecting to see the knife?
Possibly by October 1st.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...wn-tone-for-sawcut-bone.1795830/post-20723793

and lastly... and this is the big one...
Did I miss my chance to order a 2021 Forum Knife?

... wait for it...
... NOPE.

Be on the look out for an ordering thread in the near future.
Fantastic info

With GEC starting on the production of the forum knife I am forced to wonder how many are slated for production?
I am with you on this. Nothing to keep them from getting moving on the first few hundred or whatever while it is still an open order, and I donā€™t know that itā€™s not still an open order at this point.

Personally, Iā€™m still trusting the process and those in charge of it, but that is a good bit easier having spoken for mine in the count thread.

With GEC starting on the production of the forum knife I am forced to wonder how many are slated for production?
Way too many!!! (not worth flipping!!) šŸ¤£

Seriously, anticipating a generous demand, GEC is making up to 500 knives! I hope no-one will pay above market price, when a few (probably) will show up in the after scramble!! The only way we can stop the flipping is not to send them any money!!šŸ¤Ø

Way too many!!! (not worth flipping!!) šŸ¤£

Seriously, anticipating a generous demand, GEC is making up to 500 knives! I hope no-one will pay above market price, when a few (probably) will show up in the after scramble!! The only way we can stop the flipping is not to send them any money!!šŸ¤Ø
Charlie, thank you for the answer! We are looking at a production run of nearly 500 knives if I read your reply correctly. I feel better now.

The only way we can stop the flipping is not to send them any money!!šŸ¤Ø
I donā€™t think it was anyone on here that dropped $700 on FleaBay for a saber sheep. Looks to me like it will be the only 1095 86 Barlow. All the Instagoobers (hey, thatā€™s me!:mad:) will need one, too.

Iā€™m not convinced 500 will go around, but I like my odds in the lollyscramble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back