2021 GEC #68 White Owl

OolWCeL.jpg
Great picture, Jeff. 🤠 :thumbsup:

I was going through some knives today and noticed how close in size the White Owl is to my Boker Castle Burg Barlow..... Other than the Boker being a little thicker, they are darn near the same size....
View attachment 1685989
That’s a nice comparison photo Brent, thanks for posting it. I was thinking the White Owl was a bit bigger than that. A picture is so much better than just reading the dimensions. Now I’m REALLY excited to get mine, as if I wasn’t before! 🤣🤣🤣

Not that I'm going to try it, but if you take a little sandpaper to the "cowhide jigged bone" and sand off the dye on the peaks, leaving the valleys dyed, I'm thinking you'd have something looking much like winterbottom bone.

I managed to score a couple of "Cowhides"! I thought I would mute the "chiaro oscuro" at the handle ends on one, with Potassium Permanganate!! I might dye over it with Chocolate Brown also - hmmmmmm??
Before:
White Owl cowhide before.jpg
After:White Owl cowhide after.jpg

Turned out real nice waynorth waynorth . What is the process with Potassium Permanganate? Just brush on and leave? Any tricks?
That is all I do! I wiped the bone down with denatured alcohol. I make a fairly concentrated solution of PP, with water. I keep applying it, alternately drying it with a hair dryer. 8 - 10 coats using a q-tip. It oxidizes/darkens the bone, but rubs easily off the metal. Don't leave it on metal though! It will corrode eventually.
When thoroughly dry - a couple of hours - I rub it down with a clean soft cloth.

That is all I do! I wiped the bone down with denatured alcohol. I make a fairly concentrated solution of PP, with water. I keep applying it, alternately drying it with a hair dryer. 8 - 10 coats using a q-tip. It oxidizes/darkens the bone, but rubs easily off the metal. Don't leave it on metal though! It will corrode eventually.
When thoroughly dry - a couple of hours - I rub it down with a clean soft cloth.
Thanks Charlie! Appreciate the information, I am going to pick up a container and give this a try.

That sounds like a better idea than mine.

When I couldn't find a black alox SAK I decided to colour my silver one with a black Sharpie.

I succeed with making it look a right mess,it took ages to get it all off again.😆

Back