2021 GEC 83 Tascosa Lock Back

I had 3 of the 83s . I bought 2 of the Stags and One jigged bone . One of the Stags was to be Gifted to a relative . It was too hard to Unlock so I gifted the Jigged Bone instead . I eventually worked the Unlock Issue out with use . I now have the 2 Stags left and they both are very nice with no issues now . Ilike them enough that I hope that I can get one of the new Jigged Bones . They are a fine little knife .

Harry

Thanks, I wonder why theres more likely to be wobble on a lockback? I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

Lockbacks, by design, have to be fitted perfectly, or on the loose side to be able to operate the latch..... You have almost a negative mechanical advantage trying to operate the lock/latch..... Since it is not practical on a $100 handmade knife to do a lot of "fitting" the knife is built on the loose side so you can operate the latch....

It is a mystery to me why lock backs should wobble.

I had #99 that wobbled but nothing too crazy.

I have a rough rider lockback that has perfect fit with no wobble easy open close. I also have a A.G. Russell that has no wobble with tight lock up.

There is also Case/Bose Lannys lock back that wobbles when closed but locks up tight when opened.

Then, there is my Doc Hagen custom lock back that has a lot of wobble. When I asked Doc about this, he told me this is purposely done this way so the blade would drop close.

Based on these experiences, I don’t think it’s the tight tolerances that makes it difficult for the lock backs not to wobble but a design/manufacturing decision.

I got a couple of lackluster stags from recent releases but it's worth the risk if I get lucky!

Anyone have experience with the previous 83s with any blade wobble? The only lockback GEC I have is a 99 and it has a little bit of movement.

I guess it just varies by pattern. My Ben Hogan lockback has zero blade wobble.

But in the end, I just didn't really care for a lockback on such a small knife.
I have sold way more knives for being just a little to small than any other reason. Usually 3 1/2 inches to 4 inches is about the sweet spot for me, but maybe that 1/8th inch won't matter? o_O

Lockbacks, by design, have to be fitted perfectly, or on the loose side to be able to operate the latch..... You have almost a negative mechanical advantage trying to operate the lock/latch..... Since it is not practical on a $100 handmade knife to do a lot of "fitting" the knife is built on the loose side so you can operate the latch....

I think a big part of that is stamped parts, better to have a little play that have things so tight it won't even fit together.

To my way of thinking, a small knife like the #83 is going to be used as a small knife should and just doesn't need a lock to perform those kinds of duties. Now if this was a slip-joint, I'd be elbowing my way to the front of the line because it is a sweet design for a watch pocket knife. For those that really like lock backs, these should make a nice addition for you. And who knows, if these linger on the shelves a while, I may just talk myself into one for the heck of it.

Anyone have experience with the previous 83s with any blade wobble? The only lockback GEC I have is a 99 and it has a little bit of movement.

Same here, a stainless 99 is the only GEC lockback I have, and it wobbles. Would like to try one of these 83s. Would like it even more if it didn't wiggle :)

6986379F-FD54-4C90-9D5F-7226F4CAB1FC.jpeg

Attachments

• 1FE0DADA-6476-4E1B-8233-93935D61E320.jpeg
    1FE0DADA-6476-4E1B-8233-93935D61E320.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 2
I had twoTascosas, in black camel. One had a bit of side play. I recently traded it, the play wasn't severe, and it was completely useable. The other I still have and it's got a fair bit of up down play. It's fine for light use but I don't trust it for any aggressive piercing.

... if these linger on the shelves a while, I may just talk myself into one for the heck of it.

Recently that's been a pretty big if. :D

I'll agree it's on the small size for a lockback, but with the wide variety of slipjoints in the size range something a little different is nice.

I guess the Chinese know the secret to lockbacks... ;)
But that's not really true, I've had two RR Lockbacks that didn't even lock. :eek:

I don’t know what it is but can’t complain regardless of what country it was made in. I just think there are two different focus points in producing these lock backs.

I have two 83's from the 2015 release. One has the slightest of vertical blade play on lockup. Can't see it, but can feel it, barely.
The one with slight vertical play was a KSF exclusive (if I remember correctly) in smooth camel bone with drop point.
Derrick Bohn mentioned the vertical play at the time but said GEC had resolved the issue and subsequent 83's had none.
The Autumn Leaf jigged bone I later received in 2015, indeed has no vertical play or wobble.

This is my 83 from the 2015 run. The lock is pretty solid with no vertical play, but slight play side to side. I also have a 99 lock back, and a 72 lock back. Both of those have play side to side and vertical . This 83 has the most solid lock up of any GEC lock back in my collection. Disengaging the lock is a bit more challenging too...

This particular example is my favorite jigged bone pattern of any GEC that I own. Having said that, the 83 frame is probably my least favorite frame. I think I would like it much better if it were a slip joint. The lock back on such a diminutive knife is out of place IMO. Different strokes for different folks. I don’t intend to chase after the upcoming release - good luck to the rest of you 83 fans hot on the scent. :thumbsup:

p2nVhB6.jpg

Back