22 Ammo

Interesting article. I would add the fact that you can't reload rim-fire rounds (and, therefor you have to buy it) as another contributing factor.

In any case, Ruger Single Six and Single Ten convertibles are my favorites:

The ammunition manufacturers believe otherwise. They are running extra shifts and increasing capacity as they can without adding new machinery and new factories because they believe that the run on ammunition will be shortlived. They are selling everything they can produce right now, but do not expect it to continue.

Here we are nearly a year later, .22 is still scarce and highly inflated in most places. Still holding to this position?

One year (or even 5) is not long term - from a business planning standpoint. If you can get through a high demand period without major re-investment, that's pure profit.

Here we are nearly a year later, .22 is still scarce and highly inflated in most places. Still holding to this position?
Yes, I still agree with that position.

Since this latest "great shortage" I've bought ~10,000 .22LR cartridges (since January 2013). In January 2013 I probably had ~15,000 .22LR cartridges on-hand. With what I've since bought and after selling some and my son and I shooting thousands I still have about 10,000 .22LR cartridges on-hand, maybe more.

As of about 5 minutes ago I checked a couple of my gun bots, and there are places with .22LR available, non-match and match ammo.; however, .22LR prices across the manufacturers were scheduled (before December 2012) to increase in January 2013 and 2014 so don't expect to ever again find .22LR available at 2012 prices unless you are buying what was already expensive match ammunition.

All I'm seeing are prices inflated 2-300%
I'd suggest you look harder or spend that money on match ammo.

Last August I bought these 6250 cartridges (125 50-rnd boxes) of Czech Sellier& Bellot 40 grain Eley primed standard velocity target ammunition. Between 9 and 10 cents a cartridge IIRC.

Czech%2520S-B%2520Surplus%2520.22LR.jpg

The first post in this thread was complaining about spending 40$ on a 500rd Federal value pack (blue box). I bought a 550rd Value pack of Federal Friday from an LGS for 50$ (36 gr copper plated hollow point), and the next 5 people that came into the shop tried to buy them from me. The prices aren't going to go down much if any, so people just need to get used to it. The price of liquid primer has went up, and the secondary market + hoarding is driving demand.

It's not getting better anytime in the near future. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that some folks are getting intel from big box employees on ammo shipments. Most astute hunters/shooters saw this coming years ago and stocked up.

Profiteers are driving this now.

You don't have to buy it. Your choice entirely. Me, I'm still shooting 5,000-10,000 cartridges a year and having a blast.

I am bit buying it, I'm still shooting ammo I bought years ago, but that is not the point of this discussion, nor is they The argument you made just a few posts back.

I am bit buying it, I'm still shooting ammo I bought years ago, but that is not the point of this discussion, nor is they The argument you made just a few posts back.
Buy a pallet when you find it then. Prices will never return to yesteryear's prices. I know a man with a pallet in his garage. ~250,000 CCI standard velocity. He bought it when I was buying a brick of the same ammo for about 20 bucks. He'll never buy .22LR cartridges again. Shoots every week. When he dies his kids and grandkids will divvy up his rifles and his ammo and they'll not but .22LR cartridges for years.

Last edited:
$0.10 per cartridge is not bad for match ammunition.

No, not at all! I was referring to the difficulty in obtaining rimfire ammo. I am not aware of any shortages on our side, but then I do have about 15 000 Federal lightnings stocked as well as 5 000 rounds of various match grade ammo, so haven't bothered purchasing in a while.
Also, if you do not have "Dedicated" status on our side, you are limited to a maximum of 100 rounds per calibre anyway. A very small proportion of Gunowners have been granted "Dedicated" status.

Buy a pallet when you find it then. Prices will never return to yesteryear's prices. I know a man with a pallet in his garage. ~250,000 CCI standard velocity. He bought it when I was buying a brick of the same ammo for about 20 bucks. He'll never buy .22LR cartridges again. Shoots every week. When he dies his kids and grandkids will divvy up his rifles and his ammo and they'll not but .22LR cartridges for years.

Lmao that's pimp. No way in hell I'd do that but I appreciate that guy's sensibilities.

... I wasn't paying attention - the letter I linked was already provided at the top of this page. Apologies.

Last edited:
Sucks that this is still going on. I haven't checked the local stores for a while since I was gifted a bit. Oh well, a 500 ct tin of .22 pellets can still be had for the price of a burger.

Crap, I still have couple of boxes I bought 20+ years ago...just collecting dust.

Back